Arriving at Fiumicino Airport at 8.50pm

Stratheden

We are arriving at Fiumicino Airport at 8.50pm after approx 24 hours travel. Would you stay the night at an airport hotel and travel to Civitavecchio the next day?

We are arriving 3 days before the cruise in order to get over some of the jet lag so we have plenty of time.

How are you planning to spend your three days? If you'll be visiting Rome I'd just head into the city and stay there. It would waste a lot of time to stay out at the airport and commute in all three days. Spending one night at the airport only to pack up and move into the city for the next two nights doesn't sound like fun to me either ... it just postpones the pain. I'd just forge on and get it over with all at once.

After 24 hours on the road I would strongly consider spending a bit more for a taxi directly to my hotel (€48, fixed fare, all inclusive for up to four people).

See, I'll argue the opposite. We've gotten in late and then gone early in the AM to the Port. However, this time, we're getting in late Friday night and then going straight by Train to the Port and have our hotel booked. The difference for us is that we like taking the train. If you are taking a Taxi it is a breeze, and no worries. And yes, there are trains that go to the Port late at night. (I want to say some time around 10pm is the last one.) Taking the train during the rush hour can be an adventure in itself... not a bad one... but not one for the novice.

Edited by Tiffofirechick

There are some limitations on public transport in Europe. For example, the last train that can take one from FCO to Civitavecchia leaves the airport at 10:42 (you are out of luck if you miss that train) and takes more then 2 hours (with a train change at Trastevere) to get to Civitavecchia. Keep in mind that driving from FCO to Civitavecchia only take about 50 min at this time of night. Personally, given the late time of arrival, and the propensity of later flights to often be "late" we would simply spent the night at one of the airport hotels. The Hilton is actually walkable from the terminal (they also have a shuttle) and there are a few other less expensive options that run airport shuttles.

Lets assume that the 8:50pm arrival is running an hour late (not unusal ) and does not get on the ground until about 9:45. And lets further assume that it takes about 45-50 min to get off the flight, through the terminal, through immigration, and then finally see your luggage arrive on the carousel. Then, it can take another 10 or 15 min to walk (if you are fast) to the airport train station....only to find that you just missed that last train! Oh my.

Yes, this scenario is a bit negative (the airlines have made me that way) but its also the very realistic scenarios that go into our own trip planning. Staying in Rome with a late arrival does make a bit more sense and that is probably what we would do in this circumstance. We would continue to stay in Rome until the day of the cruise as we can see no good reason to spend 3 pre-cruise days at a Civitavecchia hotel.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I would not rule out staying at the FCO Hilton at the airport (Not the Hilton Garden Inn - not adjacent to the airport). You're going to be exhausted, so there's no reason to really prolong that for driving into Rome that night. I don't understand the "unpacking/repacking" thing that is brought up; why would someone unpack for a quick overnight? I'd just drop the bags and hit the bed. Wake up fresh and start the vacation!!!

A lot depends on whether the OP really does intend to go to Civitavecchia for the pre-cruise days, as their first post implies or going into Rome....

If going into Rome, I would not check into an airport hotel. Yes, you're going to be exhausted, but why not get it all behind you? At that time of night it's going to be about a 30 minute drive into town, at worst. You'll check in to your room, sleep like a baby, and be ready to start sightseeing the next day without wasting time checking out of one hotel, getting into the city and checking into another one.

If going to Civitavecchia, I would definitely consider spending the first night near the airport. But I'm having difficulty imaging why someone would spend 3 pre-cruise days there.... :confused: Even if one has been to Rome before (even several times before), there is so much to discover there that it would occupy months.

Edited by cruisemom42

Well, one reason might be that getting to Rome early the next morning, you would probably not be able to check in, would have to leave bags at the hotel, etc. If I was in your shoes, I'd want to get to my final destination and get settled in ASAP. That way you could wake up leisurely, enjoy your breakfast, be able to come back and put your feet up for a while, etc.

We are getting in at 7:50 and I plan on going straight to the apartment we rented. If you are jet lagged a bed without needing to check in and out and move bags again will be easier. This way of you are wide awake you can take a late night stroll or early morning breakfast in the city. Why see a plane when you can see buildings from B.C.? If something happens to the flight where you miss the train the cab can be your back up.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Yes we are planning on staying in Civitavecchia for a few nights prior to our cruise. We love small towns and villages. We are going to Rome for 9 nights after the cruise so we have plenty of time to see Rome.

I'd definitely stay at the Airport Hilton then. Arriving into a strange airport (Hank has already given a great scenario of what COULD happen), in the dark, jet lagged, you don't want to be standing around on a street corner wondering where in the heck to go. I from here.

We arrived into Rome FCO at 9:00 pm and a lot of businesses were closed, not a lot of airport personnel around either. We did manage to get our luggage and find our transfer company, but then worried about getting into Rome before our hotel curfew at 11:00 pm. We made it with 10 minutes to spare.

I awoke the next morning ill, so our 3 days of pre-cruise in Rome was not as ideal to get over jet lag as we had planned.

Have a Plan "A", then a Plan "B" and still be ready for things to fall apart and just go with the flow. We had it happen to us a number of times in our 21 day trip. Take half the clothes you think you need and twice the money!

Have a great cruise!

Yes we are planning on staying in Civitavecchia for a few nights prior to our cruise. We love small towns and villages. We are going to Rome for 9 nights after the cruise so we have plenty of time to see Rome.

In that case, I WOULD stay at the airport. But if you were headed to Rome, I would vote the opposite way!!

We also like the FCO Hilton although their prices are often a bit steep. If one wants to take a long walk (often a great idea after being cooped-up on a plane) you can get your luggage, even grab a luggage cart, and then walk (with your luggage on the cart) through the garage all the way to the Hilton. Once you reach the Hilton (the walkway is elevated) there is an elevator that takes you to ground level and the main hotel door is about another 10 feet. We love the convenience and not having to wait around the airport for a hotel shuttle van.

Hank

We also like the FCO Hilton although their prices are often a bit steep. If one wants to take a long walk (often a great idea after being cooped-up on a plane) you can get your luggage, even grab a luggage cart, and then walk (with your luggage on the cart) through the garage all the way to the Hilton. Once you reach the Hilton (the walkway is elevated) there is an elevator that takes you to ground level and the main hotel door is about another 10 feet. We love the convenience and not having to wait around the airport for a hotel shuttle van.

Hank

That convenience is why I'm willing to pay a little more for the Hilton since I'm no longer eligible for the employee rate! When you start the trek out to Civi, all the transportation is right there - no need to get a shuttle/taxi back to the airport in the AM…

I am still HHonors Gold - Last time, I was given access to the Lounge - a glass of wine and some snacks in the evening and a quick breakfast in the morning and out to my flight!

Hi, Civitaveccia is about 1 hour by taxi from Central Rome depends on if you are exclusive passenger or if taxi is picking up other people same time. Would always allow 3/4 hours to be sure. Train is longer but didn't feel too safe at Centrale Station.

Civitaveccia is a pleasant little town, nice shops and promenade. Working docks with local fishing boats and activity. We stayed overnigh and got shuttle to the ship. Note it is very busy when cruise ships arrive. Understood there are some Roman ruins/baths nearby pity we had no time to visit. Enjoy.

Edited by GOWONSTOKE