Hotels in Tokyo?

WorldTravelz

Any suggestions of where to stay? Our cruise ends in Tokyo and we are looking for something clean and comfortable in a great location - well connected to public transport, lots of restaurants, and fun (and safe) to walk to around at night.

Check out Shinjuku area on TripAdvisor. We are staying at the Hyatt Regency, but the Hilton is next door for similar cost. Close to Shinjuku station.

If you are going to take tours, you might want to select a hotel that is a pickup point for the tours or close by. Another thing to consider if you are going to do some site seeing on your own, select a hotel near the JR Yamanote Train line, this line goes in a circle around Tokyo and stops at most of the major tourist sites in Tokyo.

We like 4774Papa are staying at the Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi pre cruise. The hotel is connected to the main train station in Tokyo with shopping and places to eat. A tour we are taking starts at a hotel close by. Another hotel highly rated on trip advisors is the Hotel Ryumeikan which is a couple of blocks from the Tokyo Station. Finally, when making reservations you might want add the buffet breakfast (cost is $10 to $15 per person per day).

We stayed at the Hilton in Shinjuku before and loved it. Direct drop-off right at the hotel if taking the Airport Limousine (bus) from Narita. Free shuttles to the Shinjuku train station. The complimentary breakfast was amazing (HH Gold). Just came back from the Grand Japan cruise. This time we stayed two nights at the Sotetsu Fresa Inn in Yokohama pre-cruise. Nice boutique type hotel above the Minato-Mirai Bashamichi Station. Two nights at the Bayside Hotel Azur Takeshiba post-cruise in Minato area with JR Station, subway station, monorail, and Tokyo Waterfront station close by, very convenient, right next to the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay where we stayed two years ago. We like this area because of the excellent views (Tokyo Bay, Sky Tree, Tokyo Tower, etc.) away from the hustle and bustle of Shinjuku but close enough to use the above mentioned transportation. Airport Limousine also has a drop-off at the Intercontinental.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

First time to Tokyo & on my hotel research noticed many hotel ck in end before

midnight leaving me with many hotel & transfer questions.

Need hotel suggestions for a 2 night pre cruise stay in Oct that has late check in, prefer 4*.

Our flight into Haneda airport is scheduled to arrive @ 9:30 p.m.

Don't know how long it takes for customs & luggage pick-up, so I'm not sure

if I need to book Green Tomato or if I'll be able to use an airport bus for transfer.

Need hotel suggestions for a 2 night pre cruise stay in Oct that has late check in, prefer 4*.

if I need to book Green Tomato or if I'll be able to use an airport bus for transfer.

We can in through Narita and used the Narita Express train, which was excellent and cheap.

Apparently, there are similar options for Haneda. Don't do a taxi, they are very expensive. Green Tomato is good, but not cheap.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html

Intercontinental Tokyo Bay. stayed there for three weeks over the last couple of years and highly recommend it. If you look at the map it's not in the middle of town but it has a really interesting and beautiful view of the bay and a regular shuttle bus. It's also right next to the monorail that takes you to a choice of train stations. Area is lovely perfectly safe to walk around as is all of Japan.

We are booked at the hotel metropolitan marunouchi, which is located in a great area near the Imperial Palace, Ginza and at the Tokyo Station.

My Son has stayed there and highly recommended the hotel.

We loved the Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi. It is located at the north end of Tokyo Station in a skyscraper. They have great people at the front desk that are very helpful. Rooms are descent size by Japanese standards.

We paid about $175 per night for our double bed room. That included a great breakfast.

Thank you both for your replies.

I did look into both the Haneda Express bus & the airport Limo bus &

hoping to use them for my transfer.

4774Papa - Did look at Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Maunouchi (saw your sugg

on a previous post), but their check-in ends @ midnight!

That's my problem. Many hotels end check-in between 11p.m.- midnight!!

My flight is sched to arrive @ 9:30p.m. Still need to go through customs &

retrieve my luggage. Would I make a 11:30pm or MN ck in or should I book

a room @ the airport hotel?

Since we only have 2N, I hate the thought of checking in & out 2 times & wasting valuable sightseeing time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you both for your replies.

I did look into both the Haneda Express bus & the airport Limo bus &

hoping to use them for my transfer.

4774Papa - Did look at Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Maunouchi (saw your sugg

on a previous post), but their check-in ends @ midnight!

That's my problem. Many hotels end check-in between 11p.m.- midnight!!

My flight is sched to arrive @ 9:30p.m. Still need to go through customs &

retrieve my luggage. Would I make a 11:30pm or MN ck in or should I book

a room @ the airport hotel?

Since we only have 2N, I hate the thought of checking in & out 2 times & wasting valuable sightseeing time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I can't say how long it would take you to reach the hotel from Haneda, but our train from Narita to Tokyo Station took 53 minutes. Narita is a lot farther from the city than Haneda. Getting through customs and immigration was quick. Still, that is a tough one. Could you email the hotel and explain your arrival might be a few minutes past midnight, could you still check in.

As an alternative, if you found a hotel near the airport, what would be your options for site seeing in the city?

I plan on booking Century Southern Tower Hotel in Shinjuku which is

near Shinjuku station. I believe their ck in ends @ 11:30p.m.

(I was hoping to use the train service to get to Yokohama.)

If I take the airport Limo bus it will drop us @ the hotel. There is a 10:40 bus

from the international terminal that will get there @ 11:31 (depending on traffic). The airport express bus has a later departure, but of course it gets

to Shinjuku station later.

The alternatives are:

1N @ the airport hotel & 1N in town which cuts into my only day for sightseeing.

2N @ the airport hotel using the train & bus to get into town & to

Yokohama.

Haneda is close to Tokyo, about 1/2 hour versus over an hour from Narita. Taxi and car services charge extra for late pick up. We took Green Tomato from Narita and it was a bus and had to wait for an hour for other passengers to fill up the bus. Since Haneda is close, taxi cost won't be that much. There is a site that will calculate the cost, it's pretty accurate, unfortunately I can't find the site now. If you take a taxi or car service, you should be at the hotel before midnight.

Haneda is close to Tokyo, about 1/2 hour versus over an hour from Narita. Taxi and car services charge extra for late pick up. We took Green Tomato from Narita and it was a bus and had to wait for an hour for other passengers to fill up the bus. Since Haneda is close, taxi cost won't be that much. There is a site that will calculate the cost, it's pretty accurate, unfortunately I can't find the site now. If you take a taxi or car service, you should be at the hotel before midnight.

Subways and trains stop running before midnight in most areas.

Many flights into and out of Haneda are after midnight.

A taxi from Haneda to central Tokyo will cost you in excess of US$100.

I advise staying at an airport hotel the night you arrive. Nothing worse than spending 10 plus hours on a plane and the whole time worrying that your plane will be delayed, or held up getting through immigration/customs.

Last year we arrived at Narita and did a day tour into tokyo and back with Narita Rainbow tours. The next day we went direct to yokohama port by train, its possible to go direct with no transfers from narita airport to yokohama. I havent looked into the other airport but hyperdia will help you out there.

We are doing a similar thing this year, 2 nights in narita but instead of going into tokyo we will explore narita on our day between arrival and going to the port.

Other option is to just accept that if you are delayed you will be paying a lot of money for a taxi. Also hotels are much more expensive in Tokyo that out at the airport.

Edited by Tara Jane

We stayed at the Bayside Hotel in Minato after the cruise on Diamond Pricess last year and really enjoyed our stay there. It was very convenient as far as transportation goes with several options that are walking distance from the hotel. There is a monorail station nearby that runs from Haneda to this area. A couple of reviews on Tripadvisor gave the descriptions that you may want to check out.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066451-d601532-Reviews-Bayside_Hotel_Azur_Takeshiba-Minato_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Our room was on the Executive floor up high with a magnificent city view of Tokyo Tower. Very friendly staff.

We will be arriving on AA flight at the Narita airport on Saturday at 4 p.m. We will be staying at the:

APA Hotel Shinagawa Sengakuji Eki-Mae

108-0074 Tokyo Prefecture, Minato-ku, Takanawa 2-16-30, Japan

Besides taking the taxi, anyone have any information/suggestions how we can get from the Narita airport to our hotel?

Also, will I easily find ATMs at the Narita airport?

Thank you.

Yes to ATM at Narita airport. Japan is still very much a cash country but ATMs are more accessible than in the past. These days 7-11 stores and post offices accept Aussie ATM card assume they will take usa but I'm sure someone else will reply.

Edited by Tara Jane

Yes to ATM at Narita airport. Japan is still very much a cash country but ATMs are more accessible than in the past. These days 7-11 stores and post offices accept Aussie ATM card assume they will take usa but I'm sure someone else will reply.

We had read about the ATM problem in Japan, so we took a lot of Yen as cash.

Post Offices have ATMs that work for US ATM cards. I have read that 7-11 stores do as well.

There is a Post Office just outside the West side of Tokyo Station. One issue is what the hours of the Post Offices are.

We had read about the ATM problem in Japan, so we took a lot of Yen as cash.

Post Offices have ATMs that work for US ATM cards. I have read that 7-11 stores do as well.

There is a Post Office just outside the West side of Tokyo Station. One issue is what the hours of the Post Offices are.

7/11's and some other convenience stores definitely do. We have spent several weeks over the last few years in Japan and have always withdrawn from ATM's and rarely in a post office.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be traveling solo and while I am thinking about it are there any safety precautions need I take as a woman? Cultural no no's I need to be aware of?

I wish to see Mt Fuji. I have not made my air reservations yet but will be flying out of Narita.

Any reasonably priced shopping areas (relatively speaking) to find authentic silk kimonos/clothing for my daughters and grandson? Sake for my older daughter? I do not drink so I have no idea what to pay for sake there. Nor what I should expect to pay for clothes etc. Any help would be appreciated

Edited by haikou