Aft. Balcony vs. Balcony

Shutterlady

My husband had an aft balcony on the Dream!! We were right below the lido where we had spectacular views but the balcony was really hot cause of the overhang of the lido deck. The balcony was bigger than the usual balcony. We really didn't spend to much time out there. We like the regular balcony better.:):)

It appears to me that the aft balconies don't get as much shade as the side balconies. I can pick either one, but would prefer at least some shade. The ship is the Liberty. So, would we not get any shade on the aft ones???

You're right. We tried an aft balcony once, but with so little shade, we will never do it again.

Agreed- the regular aft balconies are not great. You really don't get any more usable square footage because the increased floor space is under the slanting glass.

However, we were lucky to get an upgrade fairy call this past spring and we were placed in an aft balcony next to the aft wrap on the Magic. It was larger than the other aft balconies! (Yes, it had 3 lengths of the wooden railing and the others had 2.) From what I could tell from looking at the back of the ship while in port, these are only on 2 or 3 of the decks-- not all of them. This was a winner of an aft balcony. One exception- when it rained the balcony really wasn't usable.

Overall, I don't think the aft balconies are worth the increased price.

Ours was incredibly as well when in the sun, we had about a 2 foot overhang that provided very little shade. Also aft you get very little breeze. That can be good if you enjoy your balcony at night but get cold. I did sleep on a lounger on my balcony one night, which I probably couldn't have done if the breeze was hitting me.

• 3 weeks later...
Agreed- the regular aft balconies are not great. You really don't get any more usable square footage because the increased floor space is under the slanting glass.

However, we were lucky to get an upgrade fairy call this past spring and we were placed in an aft balcony next to the aft wrap on the Magic. It was larger than the other aft balconies! (Yes, it had 3 lengths of the wooden railing and the others had 2.) From what I could tell from looking at the back of the ship while in port, these are only on 2 or 3 of the decks-- not all of them. This was a winner of an aft balcony. One exception- when it rained the balcony really wasn't usable.

Overall, I don't think the aft balconies are worth the increased price.

What deck were you on to get a bigger aft balcony than other aft balconies? I know on several ships the ones next to the aft wrap on deck 8 are bigger. What about on the Magic?

We had an aft balcony on the Miracle and we did not care for it. It was quite noisy from the engines and water, soot from the whales tale, window on balcony was dirty, and it was too sunny and hot. We won't ever book a cruise on the very aft again. We do like the semi aft balconies just fine (closer to the elevators).

Edited by elliair

We had a lot of shade in my aft balcony for half of the cruise, no shade for the other half. Just depends on where the sun is and the ships position.

Regardless of the shade or lack thereof it is hotter on the back of the ship because there's no breeze. The ship is moving forward and when you're at the back of it air can't travel through your balcony. So regardless of shade it is hot and we were unable to enjoy our aft balcony.

Although we did not personally have one we had relatives that did so we were able to experience it anyway. It was on the Liberty last new years week and even though it was larger than our regular balcony, they did not enjoy it half as much. Too hot for them with the constant sun and no breeze. They will not have another and we would not get one based on what we experienced plus we prefer mid ship.

Also, we have been told that if it is raining you cannot sit outside because of the no cover issue, I guess it makes sense so that would make it unusable a lot of the time it seems? There was also something about people up on deck being able to look over from up top down onto the balcony these people had, without a cover it would seem maybe people could look down right onto the aft balcony. Guess you need to weigh all the factors of how much you would use it.

Edited by Drazil65

I can only comment on out aft balcony on the Breeze. It was our first aft as we normally get a standard balcony cabin. My thought are as nice as it was I will stick with a regular balcony.

Things I didn't care for was not seeing the ocean when looking straight down, not being able to see where we're going only where we've been. I prefer to look side to side and see in front of us and too the back of us and it was very hot during the day with next to no shade.

Except for our first two cruises, we have had nothing but aft cabins, from narrow to wide, wraps and vista suite.

The view, lack of foot traffic, leg room, and the sun are our choice.

So sez the official "aft snob" ;)

Everyone has their preference, and I say, stay where you feel comfortable!

We loved our deck 9 aft on the Breeze last Christmas. It was fully covered and I don't recall ever feeling like the sun was beating down on me. I chose it because it was so shady and I was not disappointed. We have an aft on the same deck booked for our Christmas cruise on the Dream.

So I should cancel my aft wrap vista suite on the Miracle and get an inside room is what I am hearing from you all. And I was really looking forward to my first balcony.

It will be fabulous! You'll never leave the balcony! I don't know what everyone else said but I just can't imagine a better cabin!