Skagway, but not the train

goin'toalaska

Any suggestions for something to do in Skagway? We've got elderly people and elemtary school aged kids in our group (although we could split up and do 2 different things). A portion of the group took the train up White Pass some years ago, and so there's not a lot of enthusiasm for that. We're spending a lot on our excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan, so would like something a little cheaper or at least reasonable for Skagway. Thanks!

There are free walking tours through the National Park Service. The one I took had a school teacher conduct it and she was quite entertaining to those of all ages. It was an easy walking tour.

Read The Floor of Heaven: A True Tale of the Last Frontier and the Yukon Gold Rush by Howard Blum. A lot of it takes place in Skagway and near by. Take the trolley car trip around town for the history, and go out to the old cemetery at the end of town where a lot of the folks from Floor of Heaven are buried. Small very quaint cemetery. Have a drink (beer or soda) at one of the very old beer halls. The history of the area is quite interesting. Or rent abig car and drive up towards the Yukon, then wander around town, including the cemetery.

We booked a last minute cruise several years ago. We thought we wanted to do the train, but it was sold out. We walked into town and were offered a shuttle tour that took us up to the pass, we paralleled the train most of the way up, but also got a tour of Skagway (downtown, the cemetery, drove up to an overlook) then we got out at the summit for a few minutes and the guide talked about the area and the way the gold miners would haul their gear and supplies up the mountain. We enjoyed it very much, and, after talking to some of our table mates at dinner,(who had taken the train) were not at all disappointed that we didn't get to do the train. Prices have risen significantly since then or at least had last time we were there, but we only paid $35 for the 2 of us. (not each) plus a tip for the driver/guide. I want to say the train was in the $90-95 per person range at the time.

We aren't interested in spending a lot of money for excursions on our Alaska cruise, so in Skagway we are planning to visit the historic sites, do a self-guided walking tour and maybe some hiking.

If you are interested in the 1-hour U.S. Park Ranger-guided walking tour of Skagway, then go to the following website and order your tickets. The tour itself is free, but there is a 75 cent charge per ticket for reservations. The reservations just opened on March 23rd, so hopefully, there are available tickets for the date of your port visit. https://www.recreation.gov/tourParkDetail.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70711

Other historical places I have read about are: Mascot Saloon, Moore House Museum, Red Onion Saloon, and the Arctic Brotherhood Hall/Visitor's Center. At the Visitor's Center, you can pick up a copy of the map for the self-guided walking tour which takes about 60 - 90 minutes.

If you would like to do some scenic hikes, look at the NPS website for Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park and there are maps and descriptions of some area hikes. See: http://www.nps.gov/klgo

Finally, if you were to do an excursion, you all might like ziplining. (FWIW, some might call me a "senior", but I enjoy ziplining.) Two companies that offer these tours are: Grizzly Falls Ziplines and Alaska Mountain Guides Adventure Park and Ziplines.

The history of Skagway is quite interesting. It's amazing to read about the hardships the miners endured as they headed north to find gold. The ranger led hikes at Klondike Goldrush NP are well worthwhile. Follow it up with a visit to the Goldrush Cemetary at the edge of town, where some of the colorful characters are buried. At the edge of the Cemetary you'll find a trail to Lower Reid Falls, about a 15minute walk. I walked to the Cemetary but you can buy an all day bus pass for $5 and it will drop you off within a qtr of a mile .

http://www.skagway.com

Last May, we took a van ride with Frontier Excursions & Adventures. We took the Yukon Discovery & Sled Dog Tour. It was great, we visited Michelle Phillips Iditarod training camp and had a great lunch (included). They had many stops and the driver was very knowledgeable. Sounds like you may have a pretty good size group, see if they will give you a group rate. Even after the door, we had time to walk around the small town. If you go, remember to take your passport, you have a border crossing.

We booked a last minute cruise several years ago. We thought we wanted to do the train, but it was sold out. We walked into town and were offered a shuttle tour that took us up to the pass, we paralleled the train most of the way up, but also got a tour of Skagway (downtown, the cemetery, drove up to an overlook) then we got out at the summit for a few minutes and the guide talked about the area and the way the gold miners would haul their gear and supplies up the mountain. We enjoyed it very much, and, after talking to some of our table mates at dinner,(who had taken the train) were not at all disappointed that we didn't get to do the train. Prices have risen significantly since then or at least had last time we were there, but we only paid $35 for the 2 of us. (not each) plus a tip for the driver/guide. I want to say the train was in the $90-95 per person range at the time.

This summer on HAL, the train is $249 per person!

offered a shuttle tour that took us up to the pass, we paralleled the train most of the way up, but also got a tour of Skagway (downtown, the cemetery, drove up to an overlook) then we got out at the summit for a few minutes and the guide talked about the area and the way the gold .

Have you taken both? This comment gets made about being parallel, but they do NOT have the same common views. It is inaccurate to compare them as the same. Only a couple miles are the same. Scenery is superior from the train most of the trip.

Look more carefully at the excursion description. The train alone (round trip summit) would not be $249. You are likely looking at one of the longer Yukon bus/train combo tours at that price.

I love the historic tour from the Park Service. I've taken it twice, and recommend it over doing a self-guided bit, because the stories they tell really bring it to life.

Also, there's GREAT hiking around Skagway. For an easy walk, go to Yakutania Point (or beyond it to Smuggler's Cove). For a moderate hike, go up to Lower Dewey Lake and circle it. For a very strenuous but spectacular hike, try Upper Dewey Lake.

My Pictures of Upper Dewey Lake HIke: http://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/skagway-alaska-upper-dewey-lake.html

The only ones I see on HAL's site are $129.95 pp - to summit and back. $179.95 and !99.95 both of which go into Canada so you'd need to take your passport. Couldn't see one for $249.

Rent a car and drive into the Yukon Territory. Most people go as far as Emerald Lake. I've done it twice and it's enjoyable and relatively inexpensive compared to excursions.

I second this idea, we did the Green Jeep last year and are renting from Avis this year. Both are very helpful and provide you with maps and local information.

I looked into this as well but ended up going a different route. My goal is to see Emerald Lake. When I last looked at Avis I thought they were low on availability for the day I was traveling.

I looked into this as well but ended up going a different route. My goal is to see Emerald Lake. When I last looked at Avis I thought they were low on availability for the day I was traveling.

Emerald Lake, in my opinion, should only be looked at as a turn around point. :) It is not a "highlight", as the journey is.

It is very common for AVIS to be sold out. I've been picking up cars, with people, trying to get cars and only give the option for a later pick up of no shows, in the past, the hold was only a couple hours. I've had people ask to go with me and go down the line looking to bum rides. It can get desperate with trying get walk up.

Emerald Lake, in my opinion, should only be looked at as a turn around point. :) It is not a "highlight", as the journey is.

It is very common for AVIS to be sold out. I've been picking up cars, with people, trying to get cars and only give the option for a later pick up of no shows, in the past, the hold was only a couple hours. I've had people ask to go with me and go down the line looking to bum rides. It can get desperate with trying get walk up.

It will be a turn around point. By no means am I trying to have it appear as if the journey to Alaska itself won't be beautiful enough. I'm looking forward to the amazing scenery that is different from the amazing scenery of the Midwest!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look more carefully at the excursion description. The train alone (round trip summit) would not be $249. You are likely looking at one of the longer Yukon bus/train combo tours at that price.

Nope. My offering on HAL is $249 for the train.

The ship docks in Haines, so they have to ferry the guests to Skagway. But $249, with free time in Skagway or $249 straight back to the ship. No options. Just the train.

Nope. My offering on HAL is $249 for the train.

The ship docks in Haines, so they have to ferry the guests to Skagway. But $249, with free time in Skagway or $249 straight back to the ship. No options. Just the train.

Well you left out that significant detail, which had no comparison to your quote response.

Did anyone take the submit bus tour? How does it compare with the train? I took train more than 10 years ago, and this time I will be travelling with some first timers. They are not interested in train tour ( sitting too long, maybe?)

With no interest in the train, the Klondike Highway ride is very scenic, but only getting to Fraser is a short trip and a small part of the possible. Does not get into the Yukon. Fixed stops at the Alaska sign, Moore cantilever Bridge , Horseshoe Falls, some can stop at Bridal Veil Falls. Dyea Road overlook. Maybe a few others.

Did anyone take the submit bus tour? How does it compare with the train? I took train more than 10 years ago, and this time I will be travelling with some first timers. They are not interested in train tour ( sitting too long, maybe?)

I think the drive to the Summit is a waste of time. IMO -that is where the scenery starts, going North. The Summit is really not that far out of Skagway.