China is new home for royal caribbean international's quantum of the seas

hmmm....seems like '15' night repo voyage may have been misheard instead of 50....

"It will take more than 50 days for the ship to sail from New York across the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and the Indian Ocean before arriving in Shanghai." (here's hoping for a Dubai to Shanghai sector....)

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/society/Quantum-of-the-Seas-cruise-ship-to-make-Shanghai-homeport/shdaily.shtml

love this too - 'Before arriving in Shanghai, Quantum will have a trial run in North America.' :)

I was down in Tassie last week and was surprised how many Asian ( Chinese mainly ) driving around in hire cars .

And this is just the start . A friend I was visiting who runs a well known Cheese factory said that the Asians are serious spenders even on high quality Cheeses .

I gather the Airport is being extended in Hobart so the new 787 - 9's can fly direct from Shanghai , Chongqing etc

Personally I think it is a major plus to have RCI operating QOS and maybe Oasis class Ships out of China .

Interesting article ...

Asia Ahoy: Why Quantum of the Seas Could Work for Chinese Cruisers

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5838

Just read the article. Interesting points made about RCL counting on the Chinese market's continued upward mobility and the successfulness of sending a new ship over. Cabin pricing set at a higher level.

My only question is why not sent over the Oasis since it is a new ship agewise as well and has all the kinks already out of it? Six months of sailing a new ship with all the changes Quan. will be undergoing could be the wrong move to make. The political climate in that part of the world is risky as well.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Just read the article. Interesting points made about RCL counting on the Chinese market's continued upward mobility and the successfulness of sending a new ship over. Cabin pricing set at a higher level.

My only question is why not sent over the Oasis since it is a new ship agewise as well and has all the kinks already out of it? Six months of sailing a new ship with all the changes Quan. will be undergoing could be the wrong move to make. The political climate in that part of the world is risky as well.

MARAPRINCE

This move is already somewhat risky and Oasis, with it's higher capacity, would arguably constitute a higher risk. Also, they'd have to completely change Oasis's traditional MDR format according to that article. I guess it would have to be all MTD. They also need Oasis in the Caribbean next summer with Allure over in Europe. I would not be surprised at all if Oasis does head east someday, especially after Oasis 3 is happily floating around in the Caribbean and the third Quantum Class ship is splitting time between Southampton and Fort Lauderdale.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This move is already somewhat risky and Oasis, with it's higher capacity, would arguably constitute a higher risk. Also, they'd have to completely change Oasis's traditional MDR format according to that article. I guess it would have to be all MTD. They also need Oasis in the Caribbean next summer with Allure over in Europe. I would not be surprised at all if Oasis does head east someday, especially after Oasis 3 is happily floating around in the Caribbean and the third Quantum Class ship is splitting time between Southampton and Fort Lauderdale.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

In MOP, it seems more likely, according to the article, that Quan. was never intended to stay in the US especially the reference that it is acceptable in the US to have a truck driver and a CEO seated at the same table. In China, this is not acceptable nor it seems is it acceptable for strangers to be seated at the same table. Hence a MDR is not a concept that would be acceptable in the Chinese market.

Hopefully, RCCL will stop trying to blame Bermuda for the change of homeports for the Quan.!

MARAPRINCE

The political climate in that part of the world is risky as well.

MARAPRINCE

That statement is incorrect.

Any how RCI are following where the real money is and

can easily move a ship from the political turmoil .

Guys I use to travel to the USA all the time , but it is

all over and sadly some commentators on good Business

Shows ( not FOX or CNBC ) claim they can see another

financial crisis happening in the USA .

Walt Disney just keeps expanding Shanghai Disney and

throwing more and more money at the new Park .

China is probably more politically stable than most countries. And some of those generalisations about the way Chinese people chose to eat are just bizarre.

Edited by Pushka

This sounds like the perfect way to explore Asia! I am thinking take a few days and stay at the new Shanghai Disney currently being built, spend a few days in the heart of the city, and then embark on Qunatum. Doesn't sound like a bad way to vacation in China although you would need to start saving now! That would cost some big bucks, especially the majority of us who would be traveling from the U.S.

Even though I'm mad about the change, I do think this is a very smart move by Royal because it is an emerging market and maybe a brand new ship with all the bells and whistles is what it is going to take to really set a boom over there. Great article on CruiseCritic!

Ive just been on Mariner in Asia, I've just been to Shanghai and I made a side trip back to Hong Kong just to go to Disneyland.

I was excited to hear that Quantum is going to Shanghai and had already decided to go.....but now I find out they are building a Disneyland in Shanghai , I am SUPER excited!!!! How did I not know this?!!

That statement is incorrect.

Any how RCI are following where the real money is and

can easily move a ship from the political turmoil .

Guys I use to travel to the USA all the time , but it is

all over and sadly some commentators on good Business

Shows ( not FOX or CNBC ) claim they can see another

financial crisis happening in the USA .

Walt Disney just keeps expanding Shanghai Disney and

throwing more and more money at the new Park .

Other challenges for Royal will be the shorter booking window that typically occurs in Asia and managing the sometimes-frosty relations between China and neighboring countries, particularly Japan, Niemela said.

“You never know in 2015 what the relationship will be between those countries,” he said. “That is one of the risks.”

From the same article on the main C. Critic boards as shown above.

You can believe what you wish. I also live in a very Asian area in NYC and there is a lot of propaganda between members of the Communist Chinese Party and Falan Gong all the time that the West seledom hears about since a lot of the news never makes it into the mainstream news media.

The higher cabin prices along with the air fare will deter many from Canada and the US from going.

RCCL can send their ships wherever they choose. Just be upfront about it and not build a big hype about the WOW factor coming to NJ only to take the ship away after 6 months.

MARAPRINCE

Ive just been on Mariner in Asia, I've just been to Shanghai and I made a side trip back to Hong Kong just to go to Disneyland.

I was excited to hear that Quantum is going to Shanghai and had already decided to go.....but now I find out they are building a Disneyland in Shanghai , I am SUPER excited!!!! How did I not know this?!!

You didn't?! Well going off-topic a bit, here is a link to a website that is following the construction of the property. Its going to be awesome!

http://www.themeparx.com/shanghai-disneyland/

You didn't?! Well going off-topic a bit, here is a link to a website that is following the construction of the property. Its going to be awesome!

I've only ever been to Disney World and plan Disneyland with a cruise in 2015, but I've been following Shanghai for a few years and it looks incredible. Sure to be a standout among all of the "Disneyland" parks around the world.

Thank you! Now I know where I'll be going for my 2016 holiday....but I'm waiting for those 2015 Quantum itineraries to get next year sorted :D

Thank you! Now I know where I'll be going for my 2016 holiday....but I'm waiting for those 2015 Quantum itineraries to get next year sorted :D

Haha, take me with you! Lol! :D

Keep my ear to the ground on just about everything ;)

Closer to the California one I think than Honkers.

Been to WDW many many times and there are huge changes

going on there at the moment ( WDWMagic.xxx )

And of course no real time zone differences for jet lag :)

Edited by joysav
added url.

You can believe what you wish. I also live in a very Asian area in NYC

Well I live in Asia and the Country is known as Australia.

Hardly matters i suppose that I have been to China a couple of times

and Asia many times.

3 of my friends have Worked in Honkers for up to 35 years in one case

My brother boards Asian students over many years

etc etc etc .

I've only ever been to Disney World and plan Disneyland with a cruise in 2015, but I've been following Shanghai for a few years and it looks incredible. Sure to be a standout among all of the "Disneyland" parks around the world.

Once you've been to Disney World, Disney Land doesn't come close. :-)