China is new home for royal caribbean international's quantum of the seas

I wonder how she will be getting from NYC to Shanghai.....now that would be a cruise:D

3 or 4 legs of a repositioning cruise.

NYC-Spain

Spain - Dubai

Dubai - Singapore

Singapore - Shanghai

Or maybe

NYC to Istanbul

Istanbul to Singapore

Singapore to Shanghai

In any event, these will probably be some interesting journeys, and they will probably have some good fares

Totally agree! In fact, I am so eager now that I have already started looking for which ports might be the ones on the Quantum itineraries! The article said that the cruises will only be from three nights to eight nights, that is quite short, so perhaps we'll have to combine some B2B, as coming from Spain, we would like to stay longer there.

Some ports might be Tianjin (for the Great Wall), China, even though I don't see that one too suitable as it is two sea days away from Shanghai and considering that cruises will be only from 3 to 8 nights it wouldn't make any sense. It is possible that these cruises call at the following three ports in South Korea: Jeju Island, Incheon (for Seoul) and Busan, I am sure that some of these three will be on the Quantum itineraries. Then, it could be possible that the Quantum gets to some Japanese ports such as Kobe, Osaka, Nagasaki or Fukoka.

Looking forward to sail on the Quantum of the Seas from Shanghai!

I love this move by RCL!

yes! We are excited. DH told me to book the ship as soon as I said China.

I agree, i really urge US cruisers to step out and see the world whether it be Asia, Australia or wherever because you can never get enough of exploring different cultures. As for cruises that are 'too Chinese' i think Star cruises seem to have a lot more of those experiences as they are specifically aimed at the Chinese. A lot of furnishings and entertainment are oriental, also having probably little or no Western entertainment and food catered to the passengers. This is why i prefer RCI as they aim at the general market where even in places like Asia, western food still can be found.

I am still hoping that Quantum would come to Singapore :( maybe during winter?

As someone who has actually sailed on the Star line as well as Oasis, Independence and Navigator- I must say my impression of the Superstar Virgo was that it was the most truly international ship I have ever cruised on-a wide , wide variety of food but something for even my very Euro-centric mother's palate. What we did find was that the ship was VERY quiet at night- the excellent shows played to half filled theatres- sure beat getting there 30 minutes early to get a seat. They also has an excellent system for breakfast etc whereby the wait staff seated you so you weren't wandering aimlessly in search of a table. We are cruising on the Anthem out of Southampton but are delighted with having the option of newer ships closer to home- Australia.

3 or 4 legs of a repositioning cruise.

NYC-Spain

Spain - Dubai

Dubai - Singapore

Singapore - Shanghai

Or maybe

NYC to Istanbul

Istanbul to Singapore

Singapore to Shanghai

In any event, these will probably be some interesting journeys, and they will probably have some good fares

So apparently the repositioning cruise from NYC to Shanghai is 15 nights... Doesn't that seem to be a bit rushed?

I find it humorous when Australians say they are happy that QUANTUM will be so much closer to them. It's still a 10 hour flight from Sydney to Shanghai! I hardly call that close but by Australia standards I guess so. LOL I often forget just how remote Australia is.

So apparently the repositioning cruise from NYC to Shanghai is 15 nights... Doesn't that seem to be a bit rushed?

I would say it would take 13-15 days just for a NYC to Spain leg. Probably each leg would be 15 days or more each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it would take 13-15 days just for a NYC to Spain leg. Probably each leg would be 15 days or more each.

From this article though http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/bold-quantum-move-has-strategic-sizzle-in-china-sparks-doubts-in-us.html it says that its only 15 nights for the WHOLE repositioning. Which is why i was wondering that this is going to be rather short. And it would be such a shame that this repo cruise would end up being more of a sea day intensive one. Or even worst not open it to the public?? Certainly hope not.

From this article though http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/bold-quantum-move-has-strategic-sizzle-in-china-sparks-doubts-in-us.html it says that its only 15 nights for the WHOLE repositioning. Which is why i was wondering that this is going to be rather short. And it would be such a shame that this repo cruise would end up being more of a sea day intensive one. Or even worst not open it to the public?? Certainly hope not.

15 nights to get from NYC to Shanghai.....someone will have their foot on the gas :rolleyes:....unless she goes through the Panama Canal, which I thing would be a bad move as the potential for a European/Suez Canal repo would be far more interesting, and revenue generating. IMHO.

I find it humorous when Australians say they are happy that QUANTUM will be so much closer to them. It's still a 10 hour flight from Sydney to Shanghai! I hardly call that close but by Australia standards I guess so. LOL I often forget just how remote Australia is.

I am sure that not having to deal with the IDL is also a good selling point.

15 nights to get from NYC to Shanghai.....someone will have their foot on the gas :rolleyes:....unless she goes through the Panama Canal, which I thing would be a bad move as the potential for a European/Suez Canal repo would be far more interesting, and revenue generating. IMHO.

Well, unless someone in Panama puts their foot on the gas, the Canal widening project won't be close to complete, at the time of Q's repo cruise. Currently, in the RC fleet, Radiance is the "panamax" class of ships. Everything larger must go around the Horn, or the other way -- through Suez.

On a personal note, I was really disappointed in yesterday's news. Although we haven't cruised on Royal in three years, we were intrigued enough by Quantum that we were patiently watching for the spring/summer itineraries to come out. I really wish that RC had announced this sooner, and that we had not wasted our time, waiting for something that wasn't going to happen.:(

That is physically impossible.

http://www.sea-distances.org/

Even via the Panama canal this route is over 10,000 NM. Doing 23 knots will still take 19 days. Going Via the Suez canal only takes a few days longer. We also know that Royal isnt going to spend the money on fuel it takes to run at 23 knots

We know that the Panama Canal will not be ready by May of 2015 to handle this ship, so they are going to need to go East.

Dropping down to 17 knots gets you there in 31 days. Add a few ports along the way and I think you will see a 3 leg repositioning, taking around 45 days

Wow, just when I was thinking that Royal Caribbean was losing their edge they go and pull a brilliant maneuver like this. It really is incredible what they have done here. We all expected 3 Quantum ships to do the following:

• Quantum: Year round from NYC starting in Fall 2014
  • Anthem: summer in Southampton and winters in Ft Lauderdale starting late spring 2015.
  • Quantum3: No confirmed details but expected to go to China starting early summer 2016

What we now have is:

• NYC: quantum for winter 2014/2015, Liberty for summer 2015 since Bermuda is not ready, and then anthem for winter 2015 on since Bermuda should be ready by summer 2016.
  • Southampton: Anthem for summer 2015 and then Quantum3 for summers starting 2016.
  • China: quantum starting summer 2015.
  • Ft. Lauderdale: Quantum3 for winters starting in 2016.

They've managed to take care of the Bermuda issue (with the loss of a Quantum class ship in NYC for the summer), get a ship to China a year earlier and still not take anything away from Southampton or any long term (or unesesary) loss for NYC. Essentially by summer 2016 everything will still be on the original plan but with all the ships swapped around. We've all know for a while now that Quantum would not be going to Bermuda for summer 2015, but instead of NYC losing her entirely it's just for the season.

The real question is how does this effect Oasis3. With Quantum3 premiering in the UK at the same time I doubt Royal Caribbean will want them to compete so she'll probably be headed directly to the US with an old Oasis class vessel headed to Barcelona for atleast that summer.

I agree...talk about turning lemons into lemonade!

That is physically impossible.

http://www.sea-distances.org/

Even via the Panama canal this route is over 10,000 NM. Doing 23 knots will still take 19 days. Going Via the Suez canal only takes a few days longer. We also know that Royal isnt going to spend the money on fuel it takes to run at 23 knots

We know that the Panama Canal will not be ready by May of 2015 to handle this ship, so they are going to need to go East.

Dropping down to 17 knots gets you there in 31 days. Add a few ports along the way and I think you will see a 3 leg repositioning, taking around 45 days

So is that a mistake that the press have announced if it is physically impossible? I thought they would take the Quantum's repo similar to Mariner's. Hmm... Now i have no clue what they are up to again...

So is that a mistake that the press have announced if it is physically impossible? I thought they would take the Quantum's repo similar to Mariner's. Hmm... Now i have no clue what they are up to again...

Did Royal announce 15 days, or did some other news item mention it?

Yes, the economic center of gravity of the world is shifting towards Asia.

That's correct, it amazes me that so few people in the US understand this fact. There was never a doubt that Quantum was going to Asia. RCCL was just waiting until the timing was right.

It looks like it was an assumption. Here is the article. http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/bold-quantum-move-has-strategic-sizzle-in-china-sparks-doubts-in-us.html

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I would guess something was missed and that there will be 3 15 night repositioning cruises. Unless of course they believe that Arctic will have melted by then and they can use the Northwest Passage.

I am getting excited about possibly booking the Quantum to cruise in the area. I have seen a lot of the Caribbean - could you a big change in scenery!! :D

I agree. My wife has talked about doing an Asian cruise when our son gets a bit older, so I am looking forward to seeing what itineraries they start offering on Quantum. Although, I am sure she would prefer to sail in and out of Hong Kong, as that is one of her favorite cities after London...

That's correct, it amazes me that so few people in the US understand this fact. There was never a doubt that Quantum was going to Asia. RCCL was just waiting until the timing was right.

I am not so sure about that. If I recall, Quantum was listed as visiting Bermuda as a port of call for 2015. Then Bermuda announced, wait a second, it may not fit and the whole dredging issue came up. I think it was a brilliant move to send her over, but think this was more of a last minute move because of the issues with Bermuda.

Do we actually know Bermuda wasn't playing nice with RCCL or are we just speculating?

I don't think it was a matter of not playing nice, it was a matter that the ship will not fit, and the channel needs to be dredged. There may be some issues about when it will be dredged and who will pay for it, but that's just negotiations ;).

There may have never been a doubt that a Quantum class ship would be going to Asia but they never said it would be the first one. I have no issue with it but it would have been nice if they had just said that up front and not touted as sailing from Cape Liberty year round.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Forums mobile app

There may have never been a doubt that a Quantum class ship would be going to Asia but they never said it would be the first one. I have no issue with it but it would have been nice if they had just said that up front and not touted as sailing from Cape Liberty year round.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Forums mobile app

The Asians are going to be "who is the Godmother"?

yes about 10 of us will be on the quantum in March of 2015 and i have a serious question...will our cruise be interrupted by all of the turn arounds thats gonna have to be done to suite china? i am not planning on cancelling my cruise but at the same time i do not want our cruise ruined due to the different upgrades or changes that are gonna be done:(:confused: