China is new home for royal caribbean international's quantum of the seas

It's a shame Royal Caribbean is not being a bit more forthcoming in the real reasons for the sudden QUANTUM deployment to China.

Why do you feel it is your right to know what the reason is? Last I checked, royal is a private company and can make changes how they best see fit without having to disclose why...

I'm kind of surprised people were waiting for the summer to book QOS and have said the prices for sailings out now are so high. I booked for Easter week 2015 for 3 people (with my diamond discount )for approx$3,800. Did you ever price the EXplorer for the summer? A 9 night trip for 3 people can be close to $5,000. I think my Easter trip is a good price. We'll have to see how Liberty prices. It's always been more expensive sailing from Bayonne because of the airfare savings.

Edited by DPurcell58

Of course I don't think the entire population lives in the cities. But the people that would be using this cruise ship do, and that's who we're talking about aren't we?

Justify it all you like, but you made a derogatory and sweeping statement about an entire race of people based on a small sampling of your own personal experience. That's bordering on racist in my book, but you go ahead and keep thinking I'm the one with the issue if it makes you feel good about yourself.

As usual, someone tossing out the word "racist" when they don't even really know what it means.

I said the Chinese like to smoke, a lot. Nothing in that comment is racist nor is it derogatory, it's pointing out a fact that I saw with my own eyes. (Apparently others who posted in this thread also have seen the same thing)

Like I said, people like you (overly PC and overly touchy) are the ones with the problem.

Why do you feel it is your right to know what the reason is? Last I checked, royal is a private company and can make changes how they best see fit without having to disclose why...

umm... actually it's not a private company. Go to google and type in RCL and press enter.

Oh yes I was waiting for this response from someone. Cruise Critic members never disappoint.

It's called good PR and customer relations and being forthcoming and transparent goes a long way to the benefit of a brand's reputation. FYI Royal Caribbean is NOT a private company. They are publicly traded and certain actions do need to be disclosed, although I'm not saying this is one of them.

Oh yes I was waiting for this response from someone. Cruise Critic members never disappoint.

It's called good PR and customer relations and being forthcoming and transparent goes a long way to the benefit of a brand's reputation. FYI Royal Caribbean is NOT a private company. They are publicly traded and certain actions do need to be disclosed, although I'm not saying this is one of them.

A lot of people dont care about brand loyalty or good PR any more. Give us what we like and if you dont we will go elsewhere that does. Brand loyalty is a marketing ploy of the old days.

Brand loyalty is a marketing ploy of the old days.

If that were the case why bother having frequent flyer and past passenger programs? They are more popular than ever and they are all about brand loyalty. They are also expensive to operate. If brand loyalty were a thing of the past, I would imagine companies would be racing to eliminate these programs and save a bundle. While we are at it, might as well eliminate targeted marketing to past customers. That would save a bundle as well.

A lot of people dont care about brand loyalty or good PR any more. Give us what we like and if you dont we will go elsewhere that does. Brand loyalty is a marketing ploy of the old days.

Really?

Tell that to all the hotel chains, airlines, credit card programs, cruise lines, and hundreds of other businesses that not only defy that view but work hard and spend millions to grow loyalty.

That is oh so off target with reality.

Quantum is going to China next summer.

Anthem is coming to NJ next fall like Quantum did and then it is heading to London?

Will there be a third sister ship?

Is it safe to say that if you want to sail these ships from the sates in the near future you need to do it during the winter this year or next year?

Anthem is coming to NJ next fall like Quantum did and then it is heading to London?

Will there be a third sister ship?

Is it safe to say that if you want to sail these ships from the sates in the near future you need to do it during the winter this year or next year?

There will be a third ship.

Actually Anthem will be sailing from Southampton for the summer and then Cape Liberty in November and I imagine sailing from there until late April before an eastbound ta

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Forums mobile app

It's a shame Royal Caribbean is not being a bit more forthcoming in the real reasons for the sudden QUANTUM deployment to China.

Its not that hard to figure out, nor is it a big surprise that RCCL made this decision so shortly after Star Cruises inked their 2nd contract for a brand new mega-ship for the Asian market.

RCCL made a strategic decision to move Quantum so that they could bring te first mega-ship to this market.

I'm kind of surprised people were waiting for the summer to book QOS and have said the prices for sailings out now are so high. I booked for Easter week 2015 for 3 people (with my diamond discount )for approx$3,800. Did you ever price the EXplorer for the summer? A 9 night trip for 3 people can be close to $5,000. I think my Easter trip is a good price. We'll have to see how Liberty prices. It's always been more expensive sailing from Bayonne because of the airfare savings.
Yes, sometimes even a little more when pricing out for July...which is pricey but that is the tag most people will pay for sailing out of their area. However, I priced the Liberty today - 9 night on 08/13/15....3 pax (E1) is a total of $7,336.00. That, IMO, is way over the top. I expected Quantum Summer prices to be well over $6,000.00 for 3 people but Liberty....an 8 year old ship (in 2015) with minor differences from Explorer....kind of got me shaking my head.

Wait. So the Anthem is leaving NJ in April 2016? :what:

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

The press release said winter months so I'm just assuming they meant November through April. I definitely could be wrong on that

The press release said winter months so I'm just assuming they meant November through April. I definitely could be wrong on that

I certainly hope you are. Explorer was homeported here year round and it was assumed its replacement would be as well.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

Edited by yj2cute

Its not that hard to figure out, nor is it a big surprise that RCCL made this decision so shortly after Star Cruises inked their 2nd contract for a brand new mega-ship for the Asian market.

RCCL made a strategic decision to move Quantum so that they could bring te first mega-ship to this market.

Seems you think you have it all figured out.

I think it's a bit more complicated. RCI spent a ton of money marketing this ship in NY with big reveal splashes and basically calling her NY's ship. The entertainment, godmother, restaurants, etc. are all designed to appeal to a North American audience or at least a Western audience. While I think RCI had every intention of sending a Quantum Class ship or even an Oasis Class to China eventually, I don't think it was in the plans to send QUANTUM. I think what really played a major role in this decision was the stalling of infrastructure improvements to Bermuda with no resolution in sight. Basically QUANTUM is too large to call at Bermuda unless these infrastructure improvements were made. So essentially RCI was left with a somewhat last minute decision of what to do with the ship after the Winter months. They decided to take a gamble and go big by sending their newest ship to China. Will it succeed? That remains to be seen. The occupancy levels and yields will tell that story. QUANTUM was already getting very high yields for her cruises out of NY. I'll be surprised if she can get those in China.

Excellent questions that will likely never get a legitimate answer.

The announcement included marketing spin...but no answers.

As a side note...according to an inside source...RCI has already received more than 120 e-mails, 55 "tweets"...and 420 phone call communications as of 3Pm ET (they are tracking them) to complain about the announcement - just in the 1 day since it came out.

[Ten days of those numbers could fill Quantum or Anthem up for a cruise]

I suspect the competition is thrilled with the news...all the new (converted) customers that it will bring them...

Exactly. This is great news especially for NCL, as BREAKAWAY will continue to be the newest and most amenity filled ship in the NY market. I'm sure they are overjoyed with the decision.

I'm sorry I can't read every thread.. so is there going to be a year round for sure ship from RCL out of NJ?

Seems you think you have it all figured out.

I think it's a bit more complicated. RCI spent a ton of money marketing this ship in NY with big reveal splashes and basically calling her NY's ship. The entertainment, godmother, restaurants, etc. are all designed to appeal to a North American audience or at least a Western audience. While I think RCI had every intention of sending a Quantum Class ship or even an Oasis Class to China eventually, I don't think it was in the plans to send QUANTUM. I think what really played a major role in this decision was the stalling of infrastructure improvements to Bermuda with no resolution in sight. Basically QUANTUM is too large to call at Bermuda unless these infrastructure improvements were made. So essentially RCI was left with a somewhat last minute decision of what to do with the ship after the Winter months. They decided to take a gamble and go big by sending their newest ship to China. Will it succeed? That remains to be seen. The occupancy levels and yields will tell that story. QUANTUM was already getting very high yields for her cruises out of NY. I'll be surprised if she can get those in China.

Thinkyou be surprised. Its not only the Chinese market, but whole Asian market plus add in the Australian market that would fly up to try the ship out. Why do you think various cruise lines are sending so many ships over this way because they are already getting better yeilds than what they can get in American markets. But like you say time will tell. However, I believe it is to encounter act Princess strong push into these regions.

Edited by icat2000

I'm sorry I can't read every thread.. so is there going to be a year round for sure ship from RCL out of NJ?

Liberty of the Seas is coming to NJ May 2015 - November 2015. Anthem is in NJ from November 2015 - April 2016. Nothing is official yet if Anthem will remain in NJ year round. My guess is we won't really know if a ship will be in NJ year round until next year during this time. Edited by roe2ship

Nope not confused at all and did not miss your point. I know what RCI had announced to the public and trade. RCI spent millions of dollars promoting this ship in the U.S. They have now backtracked due to plans not working out which is understandable. RCI is a business and they have to do what is right for their business but they handled it wrong. What's funny is how Adam Goldstein is trying to spin this in the media stating that the consumers in China have grown to expect the best. That may be true but what he should have said is Bermuda was not ready and the terminal was not ready so we decided to use a back up plan. ;)

I hope that RCI does well with the QN in Asia. It's a huge gamble. Of course if this doesn't work out, she will be back stateside very quickly.

Twice on this thread you have expressed my thoughts exactly. Only more eloquently that I could have.

Liberty of the Seas is coming to NJ May 2015 - November 2015. Anthem is in NJ from November 2015 - April 2016. Nothing is official yet if Anthem will remain in NJ year round. My guess is we won't really know if a ship will be in NJ year round until next year during this time.

RCI is really proud of the Liberty based on the prices for those cruises out of Bayonne. :)

Thinkyou be surprised. Its not only the Chinese market, but whole Asian market plus add in the Australian market that would fly up to try the ship out. Why do you think various cruise lines are sending so many ships over this way because they are already getting better yeilds than what they can get in American markets. But like you say time will tell. However, I believe it is to encounter act Princess strong push into these regions.

I think the yields in Australia are very high and that market is doing extremely well. Frankly I would have been far less surprised if RCI had announced QUANTUM was heading to Australia. The market in Australia has had decades to mature using second hand tonnage, and frankly it deserves a state of the art new build. The cruise market in China is far less developed than Australia and I don't think RCI will be doing too much marketing in Australia to promote the ship. QUANTUM will be marketed pretty much to the Chinese and that is who the product will be geared towards.

I think the yields in China will be nothing like what RCI could get in Australia, but RCI really wants to get its foot in the door in a big way in China, and sending QUANTUM will certainly do that. I anticipate a lot of teething pains in the beginning and yields not being that great until the ship and marketing really get a foothold.