China is new home for royal caribbean international's quantum of the seas

My problem is not Royal Caribbean sending the ship to China, but the fact the promoted the hell out of the ship here and had already announced NY and FLL itineraries. Now all that has changed. As I mentioned before they have lost credibility with me.

Exactly my thoughts.

Love it. We will be cruising on the 2 latest ships, without leaving the state. Kudos to RCCL. Hope they don't change their mind. We were told at the top tier get together, when we cruised on the Allure, that the Anthem would be sailing the fall/winter season from FLL.

Me too. I'll get to sail 4 different ships in two years only an hour from my home. Including 2 that are new. Love Explorer, and wouldn't mind it coming back, after I get to sail on the other three.

I really don't think this schedule was planned from the beginning. I think all the changes are due to Bermuda not being ready for the Quantum.

I also have to wonder how much this gamble will pay off for Royal Caribbean. One of the ways Royal Caribbean differentiates itself from lines like Carnival is because of innovation. The ships are awesome. This strategy has taken years to develop and the western cruising world (travel agents & consumers) pretty much understands this now and many people are willing to pay more for Royal Caribbean because of it (just like Disney).

In China, the great thing is that cruising is relatively untapped so it's an emerging market, but it's also a challenge because the public knows almost nothing about cruising. Sending your best and newest ship there is a risk, because honestly I don't know if people in China will be willing to pay more compared to a ten year old ship from Princess or Carnival? Will they understand the differences or even care at this point so early in the game?

I guess time will tell.

My problem is not Royal Caribbean sending the ship to China, but the fact the promoted the hell out of the ship here and had already announced NY and FLL itineraries. Now all that has changed. As I mentioned before they have lost credibility with me.

It does sound as though the decision was not one that Royal could have avoided as it was down to the inability of Bermuda to accommodate quantum class ships. Royal already has the two largest and most innovative ships in the world based in Fort Lauderdale so are pretty well covered there. They can continue to command higher pricing rather than the introduction of additional capacity to the market there. Something had to give.

Asia and Australia are the growth markets right now and we will start to see more and more of the newer and bigger ships disappearing there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to confess I am confused. Why did Royal Caribbean have that big introduction of the Quantum Class ships with the adorable Broadway star Kristin Chenoweth and get so many of us all excited just to turn around and send the first Quantum Class ship to a year around home base in China?

If the Chinese/ Asian market is so compelling, why didn't they design Quantum from the get go with features that would be especially attractive to the Asian market including decor, entertainment and restaurants?

If the Chinese/ Asian market is so compelling, why didn't they design Quantum from the get go with features that would be especially attractive to the Asian market including decor, entertainment and restaurants?

They still have that option, its still a ways out. But I agree to an extent.

eroller - I can't get over the fact that you said they shouldn't even build these ships anymore just because they aren't sailing where you want them too! Like what??!?!? C'mon man!!

Anyways...I was so shocked by this news! My family and I were anticipating sailing on Quantum out of NYC in the summer of 2015. Not that Liberty is a bad ship but we have already sailed that class and we want to try the Quantum class. I guess we could go on Anthem during christmas holiday but it is hard because I am a collegiate swimmer and have very limited time and that month is usually very expensive.

Either way, I hope it works well for them. I'm assuming demand is high in China and Bermuda is being a pain in the neck.

We also should remember that in Asia Royal needs to differentiate itself from the other cruise lines by doing exactly what it has done in the west - sending its most innovative ships there. This will work a treat in China as I believe the Chinese will flock to travel on Quantum. Anyone that's been to China will understand this.

eroller - I can't get over the fact that you said they shouldn't even build these ships anymore just because they aren't sailing where you want them too! Like what??!?!? C'mon man!!

They can build them, but my point is they are no longer relevant to me personally. Why hype them up here in North America only to send one off to China and perhaps the second as well depending on how the first does. I would have no problem if it were announced they were slated for China from day one. I probably would not have followed the building process so closely. Star Cruises is building a brand new state of the art ship for China, and frankly I have little interest in it which is probably the case for most people in the Western World. It really doesn't pertain to us, and that is how I feel about the Quantum Class now. Yes it may be an overreaction but that is my gut feeling after reading about this. Can't help the way I feel and yes I get emotional over the cruise industry. It's been a big part of my life for a lot of years now. I don't make any apologies for it.

We also should remember that in Asia Royal needs to differentiate itself from the other cruise lines by doing exactly what it has done in the west - sending its most innovative ships there. This will work a treat in China as I believe the Chinese will flock to travel on Quantum. Anyone that's been to China will understand this.

I've been to China many times. One thing I know is that they are extremely price driven, and also very demanding to the point many tour operators will no longer accept large groups of Chinese. They have the reputation of being the new "Ugly Americans". Google it and you will see many articles on it. I have absolutely no desire to take a cruise out of China.

They can build them, but my point is they are no longer relevant to me personally. Why hype them up here in North America only to send one off to China and perhaps the second as well depending on how the first does. I would have no problem if it were announced they were slated for China from day one. I probably would not have followed the building process so closely. Star Cruises is building a brand new state of the art ship for China, and frankly I have little interest in it which is probably the case for most people in the Western World. It really doesn't pertain to us, and that is how I feel about the Quantum Class now. Yes it may be an overreaction but that is my gut feeling after reading about this. Can't help the way I feel and yes I get emotional over the cruise industry. It's been a big part of my life for a lot of years now. I don't make any apologies for it.

Ernie, did you just return from the Divina and if so how was MSC for the U.S market? What's next as I know you love trying out new ships. :)

That seals the deal for me too.

I had that TA on Anthem booked to Fort Lauderdale and decided against it a few weeks ago...glad I did now and glad I have two sailings on Quantum before she heads to Asia.

Happy to see Bermuda get Liberty though :) that one I am interested in booking.

I've been to China many times. One thing I know is that they are extremely price driven, and also very demanding to the point many tour operators will no longer accept large groups of Chinese. They have the reputation of being the new "Ugly Americans". Google it and you will see many articles on it. I have absolutely no desire to take a cruise out of China.

You'll still be able to cruise Anthem from the US though will you not? I have a feeling that the next ship for Asia could be Oasis with the new Oasis replacing her in Florida.

I wonder what the itinerary gonna be for the repo to shangai... She can't pass the Panama Canal can't she?

It'll be an interesting one. She is too big for Panama. Suez or round SA. No idea what they will go with.

You'll still be able to cruise Anthem from the US though will you not? I have a feeling that the next ship for Asia could be Oasis with the new Oasis replacing her in Florida.

Well a few months in the dead of Winter from New Jersey. I'll pass.

I would have no problem with an Oasis Class ship heading to Asia. Could be a very smart move, just promote it that way from day one. Thats all I'm asking.

Ernie, did you just return from the Divina and if so how was MSC for the U.S market? What's next as I know you love trying out new ships. :)

It was actually pretty good and I quite enjoyed myself (minus about 1000 kids onboard!).

You can read all the details here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021974

I wonder what the itinerary gonna be for the repo to shangai... She can't pass the Panama Canal can't she?

The new panama canal expansion is currently schedule to open in April 2015. They've pushed it back several times though so while the date works the odds of it being ready to handler her are probably worse than Bermuda's were. The new canal will allow for a beam of 180 feet though so she may be able to fit.

Agree but RCI should not have announced that the Anthem was FLL bound. Also like it or not a Florida is the cruise capital of the world. A lot of money is made out of this state for the cruise lines.

The problem is Florida is over saturated with ships. They're a penny a dozen and not really making that much money compared to other places. The Caribbean has been soft for some time with no changes seen in the foreseeable future.

Moving the ship to China is going to be a money-maker I would say. Asians do like to gamble - they are big spenders.

RCCL has done what it has to do. You won't see Chinese screaming about paying a buck more for their cabin and whining about not being allowed the reductions after final payment.

There are a lot of reasons for moving to Asia - all of them connected with money.

I had that TA on Anthem booked to Fort Lauderdale and decided against it a few weeks ago...glad I did now and glad I have two sailings on Quantum before she heads to Asia.

Happy to see Bermuda get Liberty though :) that one I am interested in booking.

I would love to go on Liberty to Bermuda. When are those darn itineraries being released?

I have to confess I am confused. Why did Royal Caribbean have that big introduction of the Quantum Class ships with the adorable Broadway star Kristin Chenoweth and get so many of us all excited just to turn around and send the first Quantum Class ship to a year around home base in China?

I think the answer to your question is, they didn't plan this. My guess is they had planned to run QOS year round in NJ however they assumed Bermuda would be either able to handle the ship or be ready to handle the ship come summer of 2015. Also, there's a possibility that the Bermuda Government wants RCI to pay for the port improvements to handle QOS, and RCI doesn't. Given all that, and the need to make a decision, the decided to do this. Like you say, there was no point in all this US style onboard entertainment and dinning options, if the whole time they planned to send her to China. Edited by The Grumpus