China is new home for royal caribbean international's quantum of the seas

Okay so now the question is.....will the Liberty fit through the channel to Bermuda? And can we anticipate the Liberty will be doing the 9 night/5 night cruises the Explorer has been doing?

If so....I can live with that for 2015 and then see what the Anthem will bring....or not

Just a thought, which I'm sure others have expressed....

Perhaps Quantum will return if and once dredgging of the channel in Bermuda is complete.

Unless like another poster said maybe Bermuda said no and Royal had to come up with other plans

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Forums mobile app

Not everyone can or wants to go to China, for a variety of reasons. I'm in the neither want to nor can I. I can say, DH and I will be happy to cruise on Liberty as we absolutely love Freedom, but I do not like the game that RCI has played about this whole thing.

Very disappointing news. Royal Caribbean has spent a great deal of time and money on "revealing" features about QUANTUM for those of us in the Western World. The latest reveal was about "Dynamic Dining" with a great variety of restaurants that frankly appeal to Western tastes. Does this mean all the restaurants will be revised to appeal to tastes in China? What a giant waste!

Ok so North America will get ANTHEM for a few months during the harsh NE winters. Big deal and no thank you!

The way I feel right now is that Royal Caribbean might as well not even be building these ships. I was super exciting about them and even have a cruise booked on QUANTUM in January … but all that excitement is now gone. I just feel these ships are no longer relevant to me, and I'm a little pissed at Royal Caribbean for dangling the carrot only to tell me I have to now pretty much go to China if I want to experience QUANTUM … and I'm guessing so much on the ship will be changed to suit that market I wouldn't even enjoy it. I can't even trust that ANTHEM will end up where they say she will.

I haven't even touched on how Ft. Lauderdale/Port Everglades got screwed with this announcement!

Worst thing, Royal Caribbean has LOST credibility with me! I feel I can't believe anything they announce anymore. :mad:

Wow, just when I was thinking that Royal Caribbean was losing their edge they go and pull a brilliant maneuver like this. It really is incredible what they have done here. We all expected 3 Quantum ships to do the following:

• Quantum: Year round from NYC starting in Fall 2014
  • Anthem: summer in Southampton and winters in Ft Lauderdale starting late spring 2015.
  • Quantum3: No confirmed details but expected to go to China starting early summer 2016

What we now have is:

• NYC: quantum for winter 2014/2015, Liberty for summer 2015 since Bermuda is not ready, and then anthem for winter 2015 on since Bermuda should be ready by summer 2016.
  • Southampton: Anthem for summer 2015 and then Quantum3 for summers starting 2016.
  • China: quantum starting summer 2015.
  • Ft. Lauderdale: Quantum3 for winters starting in 2016.

They've managed to take care of the Bermuda issue (with the loss of a Quantum class ship in NYC for the summer), get a ship to China a year earlier and still not take anything away from Southampton or any long term (or unesesary) loss for NYC. Essentially by summer 2016 everything will still be on the original plan but with all the ships swapped around. We've all know for a while now that Quantum would not be going to Bermuda for summer 2015, but instead of NYC losing her entirely it's just for the season.

The real question is how does this effect Oasis3. With Quantum3 premiering in the UK at the same time I doubt Royal Caribbean will want them to compete so she'll probably be headed directly to the US with an old Oasis class vessel headed to Barcelona for atleast that summer.

Edited by DEIx15x8

First World Problems or what. Some people need to realise that Florida is not the centre of the universe and still has plenty choice. Other areas of the world have had little choice for years and it's great to see this being addressed by cruise lines such as Royal.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

First World Problems or what. Some people need to realise that Florida is not the centre of the universe and still has plenty choice. Other areas of the world have had little choice for years and it's great to see this being addressed by cruise lines such as Royal.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree but RCI should not have announced that the Anthem was FLL bound. Also like it or not a Florida is the cruise capital of the world. A lot of money is made out of this state for the cruise lines.

Edited by cruisingator2

I wonder if the Chinese will like Mamma Mia :confused:

I'm sure they won't appreciate the vast majority of planned restaurants on Quantum, with their western menus (other than Silk & Izumi).

It does seem like Royal wasted an awful lot of time and money promoting this ship in the New York area, only to yank it away after one season.

I wonder if the Chinese will like Mamma Mia :confused:

I'm sure they won't appreciate the vast majority of planned restaurants on Quantum, with their western menus (other than Silk & Izumi).

It does seem like Royal wasted an awful lot of time and money promoting this ship in the New York area, only to yank it away after one season.

I'm guess RCI will make drastic changes with the dining rooms and entertainment to suit the Asian population.

Very disappointing news. Royal Caribbean has spent a great deal of time and money on "revealing" features about QUANTUM for those of us in the Western World. The latest reveal was about "Dynamic Dining" with a great variety of restaurants that frankly appeal to Western tastes. Does this mean all the restaurants will be revised to appeal to tastes in China? What a giant waste!

Ok so North America will get ANTHEM for a few months during the harsh NE winters. Big deal and no thank you!

The way I feel right now is that Royal Caribbean might as well not even be building these ships. I was super exciting about them and even have a cruise booked on QUANTUM in January … but all that excitement is now gone. I just feel these ships are no longer relevant to me, and I'm a little pissed at Royal Caribbean for dangling the carrot only to tell me I have to now pretty much go to China if I want to experience QUANTUM … and I'm guessing so much on the ship will be changed to suit that market I wouldn't even enjoy it. I can't even trust that ANTHEM will end up where they say she will.

I haven't even touched on how Ft. Lauderdale/Port Everglades got screwed with this announcement!

Worst thing, Royal Caribbean has LOST credibility with me! I feel I can't believe anything they announce anymore. :mad:

Please tell me your post was all sarcasm, otherwise um, wow.

This was quite a shock! Cape Liberty will be getting Liberty and Anthem.

Love it. We will be cruising on the 2 latest ships, without leaving the state. Kudos to RCCL. Hope they don't change their mind. We were told at the top tier get together, when we cruised on the Allure, that the Anthem would be sailing the fall/winter season from FLL.

Some people need to realise that Florida is not the centre of the universe and still has plenty choice.

Florida is still the cruising capital of the world, and to stay competitive here pretty much we are used to getting the biggest and best that every cruise line has to offer. That has been the case for decades now and still is. Carnival, NCL, MSC, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, HAL, Princess, etc. have all sent their newest and best ships here. It's not just for fun but for various reasons. The majority of cruisers still come from North America and cruising has evolved here to the point where people expect the newest and best. It may not be right and may even be selfish, but that is the culture the cruise lines have created here like it or not. QUANTUM going to China may be a change in that culture and that is fine, just be true to your announcements and marketing from day one.

My problem is not Royal Caribbean sending the ship to China, but the fact the promoted the hell out of the ship here and had already announced NY and FLL itineraries. Now all that has changed. As I mentioned before they have lost credibility with me.