Lunch on port days?

Kellyfkrc

I was planning on staying on the ship on one of the port days but I was told that they don't offer lunch on port days and you will have to get off the ship and fend for yourself. Is this true? I'm going NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was planning on staying on the ship on one of the port days but I was told that they don't offer lunch on port days and you will have to get off the ship and fend for yourself. Is this true? I'm going NCL.

Hi - Welcome to Cruise Critic!

no that is not true at all...the main dining room will probably be closed, but the buffet and some of the other spots will have lots of food.

i actually prefer to stay on board in most ports.

ask your question on the NCL board to get specifics for your ship...i hope you have a great cruise!

while the MDR won't be serving, there will be options like the buffet and room service at minimum.

We have often stayed aboard ship on some port days. Even if the MDRs are not offering lunch, the buffet always has lunch.

Also there is always some kind of food offered near the pool, usually hot dogs and hamburgers.

Also, depending on which NCL ship there is usually also a 24-hour food venue that is open even during port visits.

And cabin service is also an option, although on NCL the menu is very limited.

I would inform the person who gave you this misinformation that they are woefully misinformed.

DON

Absolutely not true. The sit-down restaurant may be closed or have shorter hours, but buffet and other places will be opened. Every evening in the cabin you will get the schedule for the next day. Restaurant hours will be listed there. IF (and only if) you go on shore, you can buy food there or come back to the ship for lunch. There will be others staying on the ship. They never close everything completely.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not just that you might get sick, you can be economical too. I was on a Princess ship with a stop in Oslo Norway. My excursion returned in time for lunch and I boarded the ship for the buffet. I had read two menus posted on the sidewalks and knew it would be cheaper to eat on the ship. Much.

After lunch, I was able to walk off and explore the castle directly across the street.

We normally like to have lunch ashore if we can, and we've eaten street food all over the world without getting sick from it yet (touch wood!) However, some countries can be really expensive, and some ports can have too many touristy, over-priced places near the port, so that it's hard to find "real" local food. So we've been known to get back on board for a quick lunch, or to plan a late lunch at the pool grill.

Dont worry, there is always food somewhere on a cruise ship. Have fun!

Thank you for this! I was going to ask a very similar question. I've been on one cruise years ago (Disney) and I didn't remember how this worked. We're going on a Princess cruise to Alaska this summer and I booked a tour which starts a couple hours after we arrive so I hoped we could eat lunch on board before we disembarked if we wanted. It sounds from the replies here that we can find something!

Whoever told you that has no clue. I have stayed on the ship on port days and there is plenty of food available. Nobody goes hungry on a cruise ship.

Thank you for this! I was going to ask a very similar question. I've been on one cruise years ago (Disney) and I didn't remember how this worked. We're going on a Princess cruise to Alaska this summer and I booked a tour which starts a couple hours after we arrive so I hoped we could eat lunch on board before we disembarked if we wanted. It sounds from the replies here that we can find something!

You will not have a problem finding something to eat for lunch on a Princess ship! :D

LuLu