SEA flight time - Sunday in June

NeverCeaseToLearn

Hi y'all. Preparing myself for a flogging that I've seen in other boards, but here goes:

We're going on an Alaskan cruise on the Grand Princess that gets back to Port 91 in Seattle on Sunday, June 15 (along with 2 other cruise ships). We are planning to do carry-on only luggage, e-check in for our flight, and the self-disembarkation option. Is it possible (even if we're going to be cutting it close) to make a 10:15 am Delta flight? It would have been nearly $200 more pp to fly later in the day, and my DH works graveyard shifts and so wants to be home with enough time to get at least a little rest before going back to work. He got the day before the cruise off so we could fly down early, but could not afford that second extra day to get a later flight or an overnight stay.

I know, I know, you wouldn't book a flight that early, but I unfortunately booked before I found the gold mine of info that is Cruise Critic. Looking on Delta.com, they recommend arriving at the airport 75 minutes before a flight which for us would be 9 am. If we get off the ship and onto a cab by 8:15 (which I do have a pre-arranged cab set up for) do you think that would be possible?

P.S. - I know that a million things *could* go wrong, but I'm just looking for best/normal case scenario here. :)

Not flogging, just asking: did you see this?

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel_transportation_faq/flight_guideline_ports/seattle_flight_guidelines.html

Princess website suggests earliest flight departure time of 11:30 am for ships arriving in Seattle at 7:00 am.

Saw that... after I booked the flight. :) Not smart, I know, but this is our first cruise. Thank you for not flogging! :)

I know Princess won't do any transfers from the ship for flights before 11:30, but since we've got our own transportation for sure and if we're not checking luggage at all we might be able to make it. Maybe what I'm asking is, does customs take a realllly long time after Alaskan cruises? (Funny story: My parents almost missed their flight once because my dad looks Mexican and so he was held back at immigration after their cruise to Mexico :eek: :D) Will traffic be reallllly bad, even though it's a Sunday morning? Will security be a zoo or is Sunday not so much a "cruise day?"

If you can be in a cab by 8:30, you ought to make it. It will be easier if you have elite status with the airline or are flying in first class, as you can use the fast track line through security. Track shoes needed regardless.

A couple of quick tips for SEA:

1) Consider being dropped off on the lower (arrivals) level. Then take an elevator/escalator up to the departures level. Might be less traffic at that hour as opposed to those who just reflexively go to departures.

2) Get to know the layout of the airport. DL operates almost all of its flights from the South (S) Satellite. (There are occasional operations from the A gates so be sure to check and not just go to S.) You will need to take a train out to the gates. After security (and use the south checkpoint, not the central one if possible), turn left and there will be signage to the S gates. Go down two sets of escalators (faster than waiting for the elevator, which is always sitting at the train level) and board the train. Be sure to get off at the correct stop - do NOT get off at the B gates stop.

3) Repeat of #2. Knowing an airport layout can be the difference between making a flight vs wasting time to figure out where you are.

4) Be prepared for going through security. Probably more important is to be dressed so that you won't need long "reassembly" time after screening. Shoes that will be quick to put on. Easy or no belts. You get the drift - anything to save you time.

5) Use the DL app for your phone for your checkin. You won't need to stop at a kiosk or anywhere before TSA. Plus, you won't need to print out anything onboard.

Remember that you will be one of thousands trying to get off the ship and flying home. And then add the other ships to the mix.

P.S. - I know that a million things *could* go wrong, but I'm just looking for best/normal case scenario here. :)
I suspect there is a wee bit of post hoc confirmation seeking as well....

A couple of quick tips for SEA:

I suspect there is a wee bit of post hoc confirmation seeking as well....

Thank you for the very helpful hints. And yes, a bit of confirmation seeking. Wouldn't be the worst case to have to change seats the day of and pay then (thanks to some end-of-school-year bonuses) but we'd be happier all around if we got home quick 'n' cheap. :)

It is not likely you will make this flight. CRAZY tight.

I appreciate the honesty. :) Here's to hopin' now that it's already booked.

If you can be in a cab by 8:30, you ought to make it. It will be easier if you have elite status with the airline or are flying in first class, as you can use the fast track line through security. Track shoes needed regardless.

Good thing I chase after my students all day! ;) I can sprint with the best of 'em if it means keeping one of my kiddos with autism away from speeding cars and into the safety of my classroom!

I was on the Grand last month out of San Francisco last month. We did self embarktion. First group was scheduled for 7:45 AM, We were in the 8:00 group and were off the ship by 8:05. They had princess staff helping with the line up of taxi's. We were in a cab by 8:15.

I have never been to the Seattle pier so I don't know there logistics with taxis and other Land transportation that is at the port.

It is possible you could be off the ship between 8:00 - 8:30 if you do self embarktion based on my experience with princess disembarkation procedure.

You are not leaving yourselves much wiggle room.

Try to disembark earlier. There will be a bank of taxis at the pier even though you have a car reserved the taxi line will be shorter the earlier you disembark and you would not have to wait for the 8:15 pick up.

Do take a list of alternated Delta flight options with you just in case. If you miss your flight call Delta immediately if you are not at the airport. And do realize that even though Delta has increased its flights out of SEA the next several flights to your destination may be booked. It's a risk you have chosen to take and I wish you well.

Try to disembark earlier. There will be a bank of taxis at the pier even though you have a car reserved the taxi line will be shorter the earlier you disembark and you would not have to wait for the 8:15 pick up.

Do take a list of alternated Delta flight options with you just in case. If you miss your flight call Delta immediately if you are not at the airport. And do realize that even though Delta has increased its flights out of SEA the next several flights to your destination may be booked. It's a risk you have chosen to take and I wish you well.

Do you think that I should keep the 8:15 pickup just in case things don't go well and I end up disembarking later than what I want? And, thank you! Everyone has been kinder than I expected (or had reason to expect). I know it's a big risk, and unfortunately learned that lesson a little too late. This is the first time I've ever booked a time-sensitive flight or cruise and I guess if it all goes to pot I'll know better next time, right? :)

It is not likely you will make this flight. CRAZY tight.

I'll take the other side of the argument: While tight, I think you have a very reasonable chance of making it IF you do as planned and self disembark the ship and fly with carry on bag only, AND IF the ship has no delays getting into port.

I would, however, do as alcpa1 suggests, and just plan to take a cab prior to 8:15. I only have one experience with Princess, but with cruises in general, I've found that self disembark is usually underway around 7:00 or 7:30. Be ready to go the minute the announce that those self disembarking can leave, and then get a cab. You'll likely be one of the first through customs, which hopefully means the lines won't be long yet, and you'll end up at the airport 45 min to an hour earlier than planned... that should give you more time to get through security if there are long lines.

On cruise days the long security lines at SEA are usually caused by thousands of cruisers; the OP would be there before the biggest throngs.

Which is not to say it won't be crowded, but 8:30 - 9 AM is after most of the transcons to the east have departed, and before many of the west coast flights load, so it can be a bit of a "window of opportunity" for the OP. No promises, and keep the pedal down.

I would not have the car service, I would be in line ready to go at least 30 minutes prior to the posted time. I would then get into the first cab I find.

You are taking a big risk with this flight. It can be over a 30 minute ride to the airport. You still have to check in, so pay and do this on the ship. Know your terminal and gate.

Be aware of all the restrictions of your ticket and cancellation policies. Don't be a "no show", call.

Be WELL prepared to to be in Seattle up to a few days. It's about a guarantee you will never get out the same day if you miss your flight with the 95%+++ load factors at Seatac.

You are taking a big risk with this flight. It can be over a 30 minute ride to the airport. You still have to check in, so pay and do this on the ship. Know your terminal and gate.

And the OP is taking steps to mitigate that risk by self disembarking by not checking bags. Those two steps right there will help a lot. And there's no need to pay for internet to check in on the ship. As soon as the ship is in port that morning the OP will have regular cell service and can check in via cell phone at without charge.

Be WELL prepared to to be in Seattle up to a few days. It's about a guarantee you will never get out the same day if you miss your flight with the 95%+++ load factors at Seatac.

Nope, not guaranteed. There's no guarantee that the OP would get a later flight if they miss the first one, but there's also no guarantee that they wouldn't.

Nope, not guaranteed. There's no guarantee that the OP would get a later flight if they miss the first one, but there's also no guarantee that they wouldn't.

I travel to Seattle every summer, I have access to airline loads and this airport, consistantly, is one of the highest. Especially a cruise ship dump day, the chances are pretty good, that flights will be in oversold status.

Just suggesting being prepared.

Edited by Budget Queen

I haven't sailed Princess in a while but I'd imagine the procedures for self disembarkation are fairly similar on the major cruise lines. I have self disembarked on HAL and other cruise lines.

The most important factor is the movement of your luggage. This may necessitate hauling your luggage on the stairs on board. Elevators are stressed during the early hours with passengers rushing to breakfast etc. Your best bet for an elevator, with absolutely no guarantees, will be the forward elevators away from the dining venues.

The process is one of gathering self disembarking passengers in an area adjacent to the exit. No matter how early you arrive there will most likely be passengers stationed at the exit. You will probably also see luggage dumped while the owners have gone to get breakfast. The area will get congested. Just take a deep breath. I've often found the self disembarking passengers a little testier than most.

These are the some of the general tips I have gathered for self disembarking passengers:

Be sure to have all of your forms correctly filled out. Keep your passport handy along with sales receipts. Keep those purchases handy as well.

If you have made any purchases that exceed your allowed duty be prepared to spend about 20 minutes paying the fees.

Do not draw attention to yourselves. Do not wear new jewelry or watches even if they are declared. The agents can spot a new pair of earrings before you even get off the ship. They are really that good.

Do not remove any food from the ship that is not prepackaged.

Do not exceed your allowance for tobacco products or alcohol.

Do not bring back prohibited items including drugs, Cuban cigars (which can be purchased in Canada), coral and certain bone items. The prohibited items are available on the Homeland Security web site too.

If you buy a ULU make sure it is in your checked luggage to avoid the TSA hassle.

One good thing IMHO, is that self disembarkation passengers can put all the overnight stuff directly into their checked baggage before they leave the ship and avoid the oops moment with TSA. This one I learned the hard way.