What do you use for photos?

I was planning to use my phone for all my cruise photos/port photos. Was planning to text most photos to my husband. After reading about charges..lol..I am going to skip that plan. It is best to bring a regular camera? Disposable? What do you usually bring? This is our first cruise so I for sure want to take a ton of photos. Also...is it rude to take a camera to dinner? I would like to take a few photos of dessert etc..lol..to show my husband.

Thank you for any help/info

I was planning to use my phone for all my cruise photos/port photos. Was planning to text most photos to my husband. After reading about charges..lol..I am going to skip that plan. It is best to bring a regular camera? Disposable? What do you usually bring? This is our first cruise so I for sure want to take a ton of photos. Also...is it rude to take a camera to dinner? I would like to take a few photos of dessert etc..lol..to show my husband.

Because of Phone/Battery Issues, I usually take a small portable digital camera with us. The battery generally will last all day, vs some phones drain fast when you take photos.

But with phones your battery mileage may vary. :D

I'm a scrapbooker and feel I have to document (and print) every memory, so I probably do camera overkill! I'll bring my digital SLR for dry excursions and out on deck. A small digital point-and-shoot for the kids to use and for me to be less conspicuous in the dining room. And, lastly, a waterproof digital camera/videocamera for wet excursions!

On my first cruise I brought a small point-and-shoot which I sometimes took to dinner. If you read reviews in this forum you'll see some have many photos of the food.

You can use your phone for photography, keeping it in Airplane Mode until you get into port and find a wireless network to upload.

Nowadays I bring my Pentax digital SLR and several lenses to photograph the excursions but it's too big to take in the dining room.

So bring whatever camera or phone you have, and enjoy your first cruise!

On my first cruise I brought a small point-and-shoot which I sometimes took to dinner. If you read reviews in this forum you'll see some have many photos of the food.

You can use your phone for photography, keeping it in Airplane Mode until you get into port and find a wireless network to upload.

Nowadays I bring my Pentax digital SLR and several lenses to photograph the excursions but it's too big to take in the dining room.

So bring whatever camera or phone you have, and enjoy your first cruise!

If I put my cell on airplane mode that will keep all roaming data and calls off right?

If I put my cell on airplane mode that will keep all roaming data and calls off right?
In general.... yes. However on some phones you can still override the airplane mode. SIM card extraction will guarantee there is no roaming charges.

I have a canon sx50 with a spare battery that I use above water. For U/W, I have a mask with a built in camera that does stills and video. According to the specs, the camera mask will go 20K pics on a single set of 4-AAA batteries

I have two old point and shoot cameras in my bag. I also use a new point and shoot for everything. The two old ones work OK but are missing the ability to shot HD videos . I also carry a small pocket size HD camera for video but not pictures .

I use a little Sony cybershot that is small enough to fit in my pocket. I have a really cheap underwater camera, but it has no zoom & uses 35mm film, so I am wanting to upgrade to something that I can take diving. Just not sure about spending the money they want for those things. Looked at cheaper u/w digitals, but not rated very deep. I'd want on that could handle 100 feet.

I have a really nice digital camera that is too big to carry around normally but I usually bring it for special photos. My go-to camera is a point & click that fits in my pocket. And I also bring a waterproof camera for excursions.

My phone stays turned off in the safe during the whole cruise.

I use a small Samsung point and shoot and my mom uses her cell phone. I like the camera because I upload my pictures to a website and if I want prints they come out nicely. Prints from the cell phone pictures do not fit right for some print sizes.

ON cruise you'll find all variations as you do on land. The smartphone crowd, the P&S and those that lug their DSLR. I actually used to take all three but find for just capturing the "Kodak" moment the smartphone and a good small compact does well enough.

You should be fine taking pictures, except flash during shows with any device.

I see you are one of those that convenience trumps all, and I also find the iPhone good enough it also trumps the superior camera many times.

Yes all connections are disabled, will save battery too. SO unless you take thousand of pictures and or playing candycrush etc. etc. battery should last a long time :D

Thank you all. We have a huge really nice camera..but not interested in dragging it with. Think I will bring our small point and shoot and maybe look for a small waterproof camera. Thank you

Good plan. You can get a decent point and shoot camera for $200. Add a few 16 GB SD cards and you are all set. Pictures should be better than most phones! Not sure if you need waterproof.

• Phone for simple quickees...
  • holstered compact for that quick draw...
  • DSLR for those high quality low light images.
    • Being able to use an external flash is bonus when I need to daylight conditions.
    • DSLR has the quicker autofocus

I leave the full frame and flash bracket at home. I use an 18-200 or 18-300mm zoom lens to minimize the number of lens to carry.

Those new mirrorless cameras are very impressive.

I'm a scrapbooker and feel I have to document (and print) every memory, so I probably do camera overkill! I'll bring my digital SLR for dry excursions and out on deck. A small digital point-and-shoot for the kids to use and for me to be less conspicuous in the dining room. And, lastly, a waterproof digital camera/videocamera for wet excursions!
I agree I like to scrapbook also and I always have a point and shoot beside my DSLR I never go on vacation without my DSLR.

I love to take pictures of birds and other stuff that requires long lenses so I will have my Pentax K-30 glued to my hand for my Alaska cruise in August. This time I will probably take my monopod as well. My wife and I usually take and average of 1,000 photos a day on a cruise. When we get home we usually cull them down to about 300 apiece. The cameras justify the cruise: the cruise justify the camera. I know this is circular logic but it works for us.

I love to take pictures of birds and other stuff that requires long lenses so I will have my Pentax K-30 glued to my hand for my Alaska cruise in August. This time I will probably take my monopod as well. My wife and I usually take and average of 1,000 photos a day on a cruise. When we get home we usually cull them down to about 300 apiece. The cameras justify the cruise: the cruise justify the camera. I know this is circular logic but it works for us.

Yep a cruise can be a great excuse for a new bit of kit.