When to book cruise?

Hello everyone! This is my first post so please excuse any ill manners.

My husband and I would like to book the 09/27/2015 Royal Caribbean cruise from Galveston. However, I know we are a bit late doing so. Would it be wiser to book as soon as possible or should I wait to see if last minute deals come out? I haven't the slightest clue how the "system" works. :confused: Airfare won't be needed, as we are just an hour away by car. Any other tips or suggestions in general would be appreciated, too. Thanks! :)

There are three things that can happen: fare goes up, fare goes down, or fare remains the same. If you have any preference as to cabin/location, you should book sooner rather than later. Booking sooner also prevents you from being shut out if ship sells out. In most cases, you can take advantage of any fare cuts before final payment date. If you are genuinely flexible about going or not and lowest possible fare is your top priority, then of course you should wait until the last week and see if there are great deals - aside from that possibility, booking once you find a fare you can live with for a cabin you will like you should book it.

I would book as soon as I knew I wanted to go on that cruise. Better chance of getting the stateroom you want in the location you want. And if the price drops (before final payment) you get the price drop as well.

Good luck.

Craig

I would book as soon as I knew I wanted to go on that cruise. Better chance of getting the stateroom you want in the location you want. And if the price drops (before final payment) you get the price drop as well.

Good luck.

Craig

Yep. I totally agree with this. Last minute deals can be hit or miss, especially if the cruise is during a "peak" time period, such as during the summer. September is "off-peak", and you might find a good deal, but you might also very limited on cabin choices. And if the cruise sells out before you get around to booking it, then what? Go to Plan "B"?

All of your comments make sense! I didn't know I could still take advantage if prices dropped. Thank yall!

That is before final payment only though. Final payment is not that far away for a September 2015 cruise.

Does the type of cabin matter, balcony versus inside for example?

If you don't care about the type of cabin, I would wait until the final payment date. Do a mock booking to see when the final payment is due or check with RCL to find out. The prices have not varied by much on your sailing and you might get a great deal by waiting. If you are convinced that you want to go and have a balcony or suite, do it soon. Check around for the best set of perks.

Personally I think it depends on what kind of stateroom you want. Have you made a decision on what kind of room you want and what you are wiling to pay? If you aren't picky on the room type you could probably wait, but otherwise you should probably book now.

Some people (me included) like to book their specific balcony cabin on a specific deck to make sure it's in a quiet location without bars or nightclubs above or below. Others don't care as much about that and are just happy to be on the ship.

All of your comments make sense! I didn't know I could still take advantage if prices dropped. Thank yall!

If you book now and the price drops prior to final payment date, RC will honor the new price. However, you have to monitor pricing and call and request the new price. RC does not do this automatically - you have to be in charge and follow pricing. After final payment date the price you paid is final. RC may allow you to upgrade your cabin category at the price you paid, but not often - ships usually sail pretty full.

If you are booking through a TA check their rules, as RC will not deal with you if you booked through an agent.

You didn't mention if you are retired or have to get vacation approval from work. This makes a big difference in terms of flexibility.

If you have to get time off from work than book now to avoid the possibility of having a "staycation" because the ship sold out. If you are retired and can accept a category guarantee than you can wait for a deal and hope the prices don't go up instead of down. And if the ship sells out you can wait for the next sailing.