Are shorts appropriate on non-formal nights?

no1volman

Interesting reading the previous post. Here is the info directly from Carnival's own web site on dress codes on the the least formal nights:

"Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats."

Now, the OP can choose to believe the the post by Pambud96 or perhaps choose to liste to the cruise line. Our own experience on Carnival is that they will usually stop men in shorts but will often let ladies in the MDR. But that is all dependent on the folks working at the MDR door. Personally, when we see folks wearing shorts or baseball caps in any MDR our thought is "were you raised by wolves?"

Hank

Interesting reading the previous post. Here is the info directly from Carnival's own web site on dress codes on the the least formal nights:

"Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats."

Now, the OP can choose to believe the the post by Pambud96 or perhaps choose to liste to the cruise line. Our own experience on Carnival is that they will usually stop men in shorts but will often let ladies in the MDR. But that is all dependent on the folks working at the MDR door. Personally, when we see folks wearing shorts or baseball caps in any MDR our thought is "were you raised by wolves?"

Hank

Actually part of your quote says "dress shorts (long), collard sport shirts". How is that different than what Pambud96 said?

Actually part of your quote says "dress shorts (long), collard sport shirts". How is that different than what Pambud96 said?

because the next line clarifies the DINNER dress code does NOT permit shorts. shorts are allowed for breakfast and lunch in all venues.

I purposely posted their dress code for casual nights! The OP ask about formal nights. But there is no accounting for bad taste so go for it :).

Hank

volman, you can either listen to the "fashion police" on here, or to those of us that have cruised on Carnival multiple times. On cruise casual nights, nice shorts (not cut-offs), are permitted in the MDR. Shorts are NOT permitted in the steakhouse at any time, nor in the MDR on cruise elegant nights. Yes, you might see a man now and then wearing a hat into the MDR, but it's up to the Maitre D and/or the waitstaff to take care of it. Although some may get their knickers in a twist about it, I choose to ignore it and just go ahead and enjoy my vacation and my dinner.

LOL not sure anyone is in a "snit." And we have also cruised on Carnival "multiple times" as well as 13 other lines. But the OPs question asks what is "appropriate" as opposed to what is permitted. Dress shorts, AKA the way they dress in Bermuda, is probably considered "appropriate" by most folks (especially if they are from Bermuda). But I guess one could argue that it is also "permitted" not to take a bath for 2 months, douse yourself in cheap perfume, and then join others for dinner! But this not mean its "appropriate."

Hank

Best to ask this on the Carnival board as most cruise lines do not allow shorts in the dining room on non formal nights.

Yes nice shorts with a collared shirt are allowed

Both of these people are correct.

On Carnival, are nice khaki shorts and polo shirt (or short sleeved button down) appropriate on the non-formal nights in the dining room?

I purposely posted their dress code for casual nights! The OP ask about formal nights. But there is no accounting for bad taste so go for it :).

Hank

The OP was asking about non-formal nights aka casual nights. Carnival specifically says that the shorts are allowed.

On Carnival, are nice khaki shorts and polo shirt (or short sleeved button down) appropriate on the non-formal nights in the dining room?

Absolutely fine to wear on non-formal nights in the main dining room on Carnival ships!

Many will be dressed the same! :)

LuLu

Aloha, :D

If you were going to a nice restaurant in your home town, would you wear shorts?

They may be okay for the buffet or a local family diner, but in the main dining room I don't think they are appropriate.

Aloha, :D

p.s. I don't normally go to the formal dining nights either.:D

In the final analysis there is no accounting for bad taste. And these days, many of the "me me me" crowd have absolutely no taste, decorum, or a clue as to proper etiquette. And these folks could care less what anyone else thinks. Tis the modern way. We are sure their parents are proud.

Hank

There is also no definition of bad taste, other than people's subjective definitions. And for some people, no understanding that taste changes over time (as it surely does, otherwise I'd still have to wear white gloves if I were going shopping downtown.)

I'm proud of my grown-up child if she shows up according to her own definition of what she feels shows respect for her surroundings, and more importantly, if she shows up ready to be an interesting and interested participant in a civilized, respectful conversation at a dinner table.

The pre-eminent rule of etiquette, Hank, I remind you, is not to notice what you feel are other people's failings. Remember that story of the diplomat's wife who, when her guest drank the water from his finger bowl, similarly drank her own finger-bowl water? That is the essence of good manners, good taste, and etiquette: never to make anyone else feel inferior or unwelcome.