Warning: UniWorld SS Maria Theresa Internet Restrictions

Ubiquiti

Internet access is free, and fast enough. But there is a big problem with accessing anything else than BASIC email and WEBSITES. There seems to be a firewall between the ship and the world that is set as follows:

• ALLOW: Web pages & Basic email
  • DISALLOW: All else

For example, this is what I could NOT do:

• Send email via Secure SMTP. Specifically ... my outgoing email is set to use the (common) port 587 for secure email. It is blocked.
  • Login to my work server via Microsoft's RDP protocol. That outgoing port is blocked.
  • Login to my security camera server. That port is blocked.
  • Make VoIP (phone) calls via my VoIP service provider. Also blocked.

All these tasks are essential for me to keep in touch, and manage my business.

I reported this to the reception, and it seems I am not the first to mention it, and I overheard others with similar problems. The front desk was very helpful, and asked me for a list of the servers/ports I needed to contact and the next day all but one (VoIP) was unblocked.

I travel extensively and used the Internet from many hotels, airport lounges, cruise ships, .... Never seen this problem. Uniworld really needs to get rid of this silly policy of blocking almost everything by default, and allowing through only some things. It can not work in the long term. (By all means - I have no problems if they block bandwidth hogs like Youtube, but not my secure email).

I happen to be very well versed in Internet technology, so was able to diagnose these issues. But most people will simply see things 'not working' and get angry.

Uniworld is not the only company blocking certain ports or services. E.g. some time ago I was on some ship (forgot which one :/ ) and tinkered around with their internet connection. In their case I was able to ssh and use other services, but they blocked youtube streams (while the youtube page did work otherwise).

The bottle neck is the outgoing connection to the satellite. Basically they will use one (or several bundled) LTE connections as an uplink. So even under best cirrcumstances, you are sharing 100mbit/s with 150 pax + 40 crew members. I ran a few ping tests while waiting and being bored and the packet loss and ping time was *not the best* while docked. Now think about the ships moving, locks and bridges causing less visibility to satellites, 3G instead of LTE in rural stretches along the river.. These are some of the 'external problems', which are the reason for these cruise line policies..

I don't think it will change soon. The companies try to provide some basic internet access for everyone, but it won't be enough for power users. :/

Exactly.

This is not an uncommon situation, I often find port 25 blocked in hotels for example and blocking VOIP and video streaming is pretty much essential if they are going to preserve any kind of service quality for 'normal' browsing.

Yes, VOIP is low bandwidth, but increasing numbers of people are using it these days and it is no longer the preserve of the few 'technophiles' sadly.

If these services are essential for business reasons then I'd treat it as a business cost and get a suitable data plan for the duration of the cruise. Even then service will be patchy in some areas but at least you won't have to deal with their firewall.

Thanks for posting this as I also must stay connected for work.

It is too late now to order a device to bring with me and I have never had this issue on my AMA cruises. Looks like I will have to find hotspots throughout my trip. What a PITA but at least now I am prepared.

I am curious - do you run Ubiquiti Networks?

I agree these ports should be open. I have no problems with Netflix/Youtube/Hulu being blocked.

Edited by Coral

Thanks for posting this as I also must stay connected for work.

It is too late now to order a device to bring with me and I have never had this issue on my AMA cruises. Looks like I will have to find hotspots throughout my trip. What a PITA but at least now I am prepared.

You could try what the OP did and provide the front desk with a list of the sites you need to be able to access. if you can't get to them.

Possibly someone that has sailed on the Catherine can add whether they've experienced this issue on that ship. I'd assume it's a company policy, but you never know.

Edited by hiccups

We must remember to enjoy our holiday as well.

The only ports that I want to be worried about on a cruise are the ones that we stop at.

I used to enjoy relaxing when flying long haul as I was guaranteed 12 hours without any emails to worry about, unfortunately planes have internet these days.

We must remember to enjoy our holiday as well.

The only ports that I want to be worried about on a cruise are the ones that we stop at.

Some of us do not have that luxury. As I am a small business owner, I cannot simply be inaccessible because I am taking some time for myself.

And in addition to work, I do keep in touch with my family daily.

YMMV.

Funny thing, the world survived for ions without constant instant communications and people still traveled then!

My old employer has a policy where in all employees must take at least one week's vacation of a minimum of 5 consecutive work days, for more senior people it was 10 days. During that period that are locked out of the building and blocked from all company email and computer access. Incredible all the stuff the company finds out that's been going on via that policy. How fast things can often unwind without someone being there to manipulate the systems even for such short periods of time! :eek:

The company policy was terrible for the self esteem and ego of those that thought the company couldn't survive even a day without their input. Sometimes things even ran smoother without them! ;)

Funny thing, the world survived for ions without constant instant communications and people still traveled then!

And expectations in those times were quite different as well.

When I was an employee and not a business owner, it was easier to be out of touch.

Let's agree that we all have the right to choose how we vacation. :)

Edited by caviargal

caviargal;

I agree almost 100% that we all have that right to choose how to spend our vacations. Cruising, playing golf, sleeping late and just relaxing, etc.

However, some of the employees didn't want to be locked out for a minimum of a week. Some would have never left their desks, if given the choice. So I guess not all get to actually choose.

caviargal;

I agree almost 100% that we all have that right to choose how to spend our vacations. Cruising, playing golf, sleeping late and just relaxing, etc.

However, some of the employees didn't want to be locked out for a minimum of a week. Some would have never left their desks, if given the choice. So I guess not all get to actually choose.

I wasn't commenting on your former company's extreme tactics; I was responding to those who think everyone has the option to simply close off communications when they are on vacation. It is not that simple for all of us.

Edited by caviargal

Some of us do not have that luxury. As I am a small business owner, I cannot simply be inaccessible because I am taking some time for myself.

And in addition to work, I do keep in touch with my family daily.

YMMV.

Caviargal,

As a small business owner myself I truly understand not being able to totally disconnect for a week or two. I did find a solution but it is somewhat extreme. I hired my son in law to work for me. LOL

Caviargal,

As a small business owner myself I truly understand not being able to totally disconnect for a week or two. I did find a solution but it is somewhat extreme. I hired my son in law to work for me. LOL

Sounds like a great solution! No kids here so will have to keep checking email ;).

Best part of the deal is it keeps my daughter and grand kids here close.

Have a great trip on the Catherine!!

I suspected an ulterior motive :D

I will try and post from the boat. I am sure the AC in the lounge will be very appealing with the temps north of 100.

This board is starting to get getting some nasty posts. Could the moderator look into this.

Gosh if you think these replies are nasty; don't ever check out a "what to wear on formal night" thread!! These are very tame.

LOL! I agree! Or how about the "can I smuggle wine aboard", another popular topic.:)

How much should I tip and in what currency? :D

Caviargal, I understand where you're coming from. I had a small business too and I solved it by employing my niece but now that I sold the business to her I can really let go and enjoy my trips and when she travels, I get the business back! But you're also right that people need to lighten up.....what works for you might not work for me and vice versa!!

My old employer has a policy where in all employees must take at least one week's vacation of a minimum of 5 consecutive work days, for more senior people it was 10 days. During that period that are locked out of the building and blocked from all company email and computer access. Incredible all the stuff the company finds out that's been going on via that policy. How fast things can often unwind without someone being there to manipulate the systems even for such short periods of time! :eek:

The company policy was terrible for the self esteem and ego of those that thought the company couldn't survive even a day without their input. Sometimes things even ran smoother without them! ;)

Actually this is suggested as a "best practice." It takes two weeks for embezzlement and other shenanigans to surface. Sorry if you thought they were looking out for your R&R well-being! ;)