Med cruise advice

djBobby

In just over 2 weeks i'll be setting sail on my first cruise on NCL Jade :)

which comprises of Venice, dubrovnik, split, Piraeus and Kusadasi

I'm planning on using my credit card for on board credit and quite probably pre paying the AI drinks package and gratuities. so i think I'm all good on that side of things

That said I'm completely lost as to how much i need to take for port days, Venice and greece shouldn't be a problem as I'm staying a extra night in venice so will be making sure i have plenty of euros but I've no idea what how much I'm going to need for the other ports and don't want to go completely overboard and have to change a load back. I plan on making my own way round rather than excursions.

Also will i still need to take USD if I've pre payed for items onboard?

Has anyone done this cruise and may have some ideas on the cost of getting round, food, drink etc?

Rob

Hi,

Shouldn't need to take any Dollars.

Your account will be OK with your credit card.

On how many Euros to take is up to you and depends on how much you want to spend in the ports. We usually take about Euros 20 each to cover a brew and ice cream etc but if we buy anything we pay on the plastic.

I never exchange back any Euros, I just keep them for my next trip.

Pete

Thanks for the reply, is it best to take all euros? i know most places in turkey will accept these I'm just not sure on Split or Dubrovnik or whether its the best option or if i should get local currency for these ports.

All on board purchases are dealt with by using your "Cruise Card" issued to you on embarkation. This then gives you an On Board Account with which you use for on board spending etc. by using this card. At end of cruise the cruise line charge your Bank Credit Card; the one you register upon embarkation, with the amount you spent on the cruise.

Basically it's all cashless except when going ashore. You need local currency about E100 per port I suggest. You do not need US Dollars normally. I would see how it goes and draw extra Euros from Reception if need, using cruise card. If you find you have got just too many Euros towards end of cruise pay them in to you On Board Account reducing amount to be charged to Bank Credit Card.

Regards John

The easiest way we found to get Euros was using our bank card in an ATM. We ordered some Euros from our home bank so we would have some and could hit the ground running, but other than that you can get Euros in any airport, or ATM in any city. I would recommend using an ATM that is inside a bank, not a "stand-alone" ATM. Also, do not take out a cash advance on your credit card! We panicked and made this mistake in Rome early on - very expensive just to get some Euros for the day!

Be sure to bring your ATM card so you can get additional Euros with it.

I try to charge as much as possible and would recommend dong that.

In Croatia you can also use USA dollars and of course credit card.

Bring more than on e credit card.

Also notify your Banks for each card you have (ATM and Credit Card) about your trip.

Hopefully you have credit cards without a Foreign Transaction Fee.

Keith

The Euro/Local Currency question is answered quite frequently over on the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe, you'll find your ports listed under the Mediterranean section. Have a look over there. :)

You have chosen a lovely cruise to kick off your addiction with, enjoy it. You will be tired in the evenings so don't try to cram a lot of the ship's activities in as well.

No need to buy dollars at all; if you want to take any spare ones you have, the reception will take them to pay off part of your bill. Remember to tick the box saying that you DON'T want the ship to change your money- let your cc do that.

Loved Jade enough to go on her twice- have a super time, and ask us if you've any more niggles. :cool:

"Remember to tick the box saying that you DON'T want the ship to change your money- let your cc do that."

Can you expand on this a little please?

One question I did have, is there a way of monitoring how much you're spending whilst on board?

"Remember to tick the box saying that you DON'T want the ship to change your money- let your cc do that."

Can you expand on this a little please?

One question I did have, is there a way of monitoring how much you're spending whilst on board?

If a vendor asks when you are making a purchase if you would like them to charge your card in YOUR currency, DO NOT AGREE to this. Just say to bill you in the local currency for the country you are in. The exchange rates are awful and you're much better off letting the credit card company do the exchange (it will be more in your favor).

As to checking your onboard expenses you can go to the Guest Services Desk and request a print out of your account every few days.

Depending on your line and ship, some have access on the cabin television; you can view your account and any expenditures right there.

OP is on the Norwegian Jade and

I don't believe that ship has the interactive television.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Be sure to bring your ATM card so you can get additional Euros with it.

I try to charge as much as possible and would recommend dong that.

In Croatia you can also use USA dollars and of course credit card.

Keith

When we were in Dubrovnik very few vendors would accept $$. They would only accept kuna. So we guesstimated how much we would spend and got just that many kuna. IIRC it was $50 worth since we were only buying a couple beers, postcards, stamps, and a few inexpensive souvenirs.

I don't think they have changed over to the Euro.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks, that clears a lot up I've budgeted £50 for each port day changed in to local currency but as mentioned in OP I'll be carrying more euros than I need as I'll be staying a night in Venice at the end of cruise so there should always be a back up.

I'm trying to keep card usage to a bare minimum besides using it for the on board account obviously. id rather know exactly where I am with money

As Paul says, most places will take €€ except for municipal buildings, eg in Dubrovnik you must pay for the wall walk and the cable car with kuna , but I believe that they have credit card facilities.

The wall and the cable car, as well as the restaurant on the top of cable car takes US Credit cards. We were there in July 2015. But you will need a few Kuna to purchase water, snacks. There are plenty bank associated ATMS

The wall and the cable car, as well as the restaurant on the top of cable car takes US Credit cards. We were there in July 2015. But you will need a few Kuna to purchase water, snacks. There are plenty bank associated ATMS

By stating US Credit Cards, do you mean swipe ones? I know some places in Europe have forgotten how to do this. Anyway, the OP is from the UK, so he'll have chip and pin.

If anyone has a problem swiping a cc, ask for a manager, because they should know that the machine has a swipe capability on it...younger people may not have seen this before.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally home after a pretty intense week, Thanks for everybody's advice on the post, had a ball, all the staff onboard were great, everybody had a smile on their face no matter what time of day. met some amazing people and seen some amazing places.

Im sure i'll be doing it again in the future :)

full review and photos to follow :)

One last thing is always use an ATM and Never use one of the Money Changer booths that have a live person in it. The exchange rate in those can be almost 2X what it is in an ATM. Also AMEX is not used in lots of places.
Although currency exchanges MAY give a worse rate than an ATM machine, that is not always the case. In some cases, the fees charged at an ATM may offset any rate advantage and then some.

Best solution....be prepared for EITHER option. Use a currency app for your phone/tablet or check rates online with your computer. See what the exchange booths are quoting and what the ATM is quoting. You will be able to figure out the best rate yourself.

FWIW, from personal experience, currency booths give better rates in Thailand and Vietnam and some places in Europe too. So don't dismiss what may be a better option. Do your homework and do the math (including fees and commissions).