SCOTLAND to Southampton via car with a 6 year old in tow

So our cruise is booked for September 30th next year and we think we are to be driving down to Southampton. Advice I am looking for is would it be best to leave in a morning arrive at night then sleep over for cruise next day?? Or travel down during the night so little one will hopefully sleep, or travel half way and stay then finish journey morning of the cruise? Also what Besides DVD and iPad should we take to occupy said child in the car for such a long 9 hour drive ? All advice great fully appreciate

Many thanks lesley xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So our cruise is booked for September 30th next year and we think we are to be driving down to Southampton. Advice I am looking for is would it be best to leave in a morning arrive at night then sleep over for cruise next day?? Or travel down during the night so little one will hopefully sleep, or travel half way and stay then finish journey morning of the cruise? Also what Besides DVD and iPad should we take to occupy said child in the car for such a long 9 hour drive ? All advice great fully appreciate

Many thanks lesley xx

I guess that would depend on what you are towing the little one in. :D

We always travel to the departure port at least the day before. Even when driving, you never know when car trouble will occur or a accident happens right in front of you that causes the road to be shut down for hours. That has happened to us on a non-cruise vacation. Interstate was shut down for over two hours (air transport was needed for some of the injured) and the shortest alternate route would have taken us 90 minutes.

I would drive down the day before, instead of trying to drive overnight. With an overnight drive, maybe the child gets there nice and rested, but the drivers are exhausted.

We did many long drives when my son was young, but he was a good traveler. He would watch movies or read, taking the occasional nap here and there, even at an older age. Personally, I would get up and leave early, no later than 6 or 7 am. Drive a few hours and stop for a bathroom break and breakfast. Load up again, drive a few hours more and stop for lunch. I would then try to get to our hotel for a late afternoon swim and then dinner. I would have less than an hour drive to port in the morning so that everyone can get a good night sleep and not have to get up early again.

We always made sure we had a few surprises tucked away on the car to deal with boredom. You can wrap them up as presents to add to the excitement. We also had special snacks too, with usually something that he didn't get to have very often. Just make sure it isn't something too messy. We also had him take his pillow and a small blanket to get comfy.

We also packed gallon size zip top bags for trash, but also for a bag to grab if he got carsick. Only happened once, but was glad I had them available.

It really comes down to whether or not the child is good in the car. If they easily get bored and can't keep themselves entertained, it could be a long 9 hours. If they can keep themselves entertained for the most part and will get into playing silly car games, the day won't be that bad. We always played an alphabet game. You had to find something that started with A, then B, etc. Finding something for Q and Z was always time consuming, but filled the dead time. We also tried to find license plates from different states, which works in the US, not so much on your side of the pond.:D

I would drive down the day before, instead of trying to drive overnight. With an overnight drive, maybe the child gets there nice and rested, but the drivers are exhausted.

We did many long drives when my son was young, but he was a good traveler. He would watch movies or read, taking the occasional nap here and there, even at an older age. Personally, I would get up and leave early, no later than 6 or 7 am. Drive a few hours and stop for a bathroom break and breakfast. Load up again, drive a few hours more and stop for lunch. I would then try to get to our hotel for a late afternoon swim and then dinner. I would have less than an hour drive to port in the morning so that everyone can get a good night sleep and not have to get up early again.

We always made sure we had a few surprises tucked away on the car to deal with boredom. You can wrap them up as presents to add to the excitement. We also had special snacks too, with usually something that he didn't get to have very often. Just make sure it isn't something too messy. We also had him take his pillow and a small blanket to get comfy.

We also packed gallon size zip top bags for trash, but also for a bag to grab if he got carsick. Only happened once, but was glad I had them available.

It really comes down to whether or not the child is good in the car. If they easily get bored and can't keep themselves entertained, it could be a long 9 hours. If they can keep themselves entertained for the most part and will get into playing silly car games, the day won't be that bad. We always played an alphabet game. You had to find something that started with A, then B, etc. Finding something for Q and Z was always time consuming, but filled the dead time. We also tried to find license plates from different states, which works in the US, not so much on your side of the pond.:D

Thanks this is great advice! We are very fortunate that our little girl is really good in the car and would quite happily watch a DVD or movie on the iPad for most of the time before getting bored, and we also find that feeding her constantly helps lol. She loves her food and always has X will need to think of little things we could wrap as surprises for her as that's a great idea

Thanks again x

from a family who regularly drove from Kent to Ayrshire when our girls were young we used to do it through the night that way just seemed so much easier for us. But our youngest used to get quite car sick and this way avoided that problem.

On saying that it used to leave me exhausted (I didn't even do the driving :D).

If doing it during the day, you could always schedule in a break - We once did that and it worked fab. We drove to Birmingham and stayed in a travelodge/ express hotel for the night - got up and did cadbury world the next morning then completed the journey in the afternoon.

Hi its a long drive down to Southampton we've done it many times from Newcastle. But now get the coach down on the same day.Why not drive down the day before and stay overnight in a travel lodge around the Oxford area. Then you've just got a short coup,e of hours to the port and you can get onboard early and enjoy the ship .

from a family who regularly drove from Kent to Ayrshire when our girls were young we used to do it through the night that way just seemed so much easier for us. But our youngest used to get quite car sick and this way avoided that problem.

On saying that it used to leave me exhausted (I didn't even do the driving :D).

If doing it during the day, you could always schedule in a break - We once did that and it worked fab. We drove to Birmingham and stayed in a travelodge/ express hotel for the night - got up and did cadbury world the next morning then completed the journey in the afternoon.

rethinking this - on the way down she will be exicited about the trip - I would do Cadbury World on the way home;)

30th Sept is a Saturday, so you want to leave on Friday. Traffic will be a nightmare in the afternoon. If you decide to 'day' drive, I would head for somewhere round our way (just outside Northampton) as it takes us just over 2 hours to Southampton on a Saturday. You could stop at M1 J18 where there is a Holiday Inn and Ibis (but not much else!), or there is a Travelodge on the A43 at Towcester (on a filling station site witha McD's, but you could walk into the town if you want). I would really avoid trying to 'one hit' it in a day.

Simon

My only advice is to arrive in Southampton the day before. I've read far too many sad stories about people becoming involved in car accidents or otherwise being delayed when driving to port cities and consequently missing the boat.

Hi,

Advice I would give is to plan your journey carefully, go onto the Dept of Transport web site to find out the traffic blackspots. At the moment the M6 going past Knutsford is awful with road works, I don't know if they will still be in operation when you travel but it can add quite a lot of time to your journey. I don't know if the M1 would be better but to check nearer your date.

Pete

Have you considered taking the trains? Would think considering the price of fuel, and paying for parking that the train might save stress and money.

I was just looking at the Journey Planner of the National Rail that there is a 58GBP fare for a 9:40PM train from Arbroath to Southampton on the 29th.

Just a thought.

JC

Hi,

Advice I would give is to plan your journey carefully, go onto the Dept of Transport web site to find out the traffic blackspots. At the moment the M6 going past Knutsford is awful with road works, I don't know if they will still be in operation when you travel but it can add quite a lot of time to your journey. I don't know if the M1 would be better but to check nearer your date.

Pete

The Knutsford roadworks are on until sometime in 2017 so may still be on in September 2017, Definitely worth checking.. They are a nightmare any day, but on a Friday after mid-day they are even worse. Good luck!!

Edited by clarky213

Have you considered taking the trains? Would think considering the price of fuel, and paying for parking that the train might save stress and money.

I was just looking at the Journey Planner of the National Rail that there is a 58GBP fare for a 9:40PM train from Arbroath to Southampton on the 29th.

Just a thought.

JC

That's grand thanks for that it may be an option will need to speak with hubby. X

We are from Australia and are used to driving long distances.

We drove from the West Highland Way down to London (I think we stayed overnight in York on the way down)

I remember being worried that we would get back to drop the car off in time.

The train sounds great!

We are on the same sailing as you :-)

We always travel by train to Southampton - so easy and part of our holiday - having looked at some options you could travel down Friday lunchtime getting into Southampton early evening and then back by train Saturday morning back in time for tea - coming in at around £250 for the 3 of you. Give it some serious consideration. We always manage to travel 1st class as well which means we get free internet and fed all the way(we travel from Peterborough to Aberdeen 3 times a year) scope it out.

Paulton's Theme Park is at Southampton too if you're looking for something to do - we're doing it the day we come back from our cruise in October, then driving part way home to Glasgow afterwards, staying over somewhere off the M6.

Your wee girl might be too big for Peppa Pig World at the theme park, but it's supposed to be really good for families.

https://paultonspark.co.uk

Paulton's Theme Park is at Southampton too if you're looking for something to do - we're doing it the day we come back from our cruise in October, then driving part way home to Glasgow afterwards, staying over somewhere off the M6.

Your wee girl might be too big for Peppa Pig World at the theme park, but it's supposed to be really good for families.

https://paultonspark.co.uk

We used to there quite a lot when we lived in Kent, it a great park beautiful landscaping/ gardens. I would say the rides are best suited up to age 8 ish. I am sure you will love it.

We are on the same sailing as you :-)

We always travel by train to Southampton - so easy and part of our holiday - having looked at some options you could travel down Friday lunchtime getting into Southampton early evening and then back by train Saturday morning back in time for tea - coming in at around £250 for the 3 of you. Give it some serious consideration. We always manage to travel 1st class as well which means we get free internet and fed all the way(we travel from Peterborough to Aberdeen 3 times a year) scope it out.

Thanks for this great your on our cruise.. Can you please advise were you got the train prices from as I couldn't get next years dates up yet. Thanks Lesley x

Many thanks lesley xx

Hi Lesley,

Theres a couple of ways to head down:

Fly - Catch a flight from Edinburgh the day before with Flybe, it you book far enough in advance you will get a good rate, direct from Edinburgh into Southampton. We have done that before, just over an hour in the air. Then get a travelodge in Southampton for the evening.

** I see the current UK offer is free car parking at Southampton OR free flights to the cruise departure point in Europe / UK.

I know you have already booked the cruise, however a couple of years ago, we booked a cruise out of Barcelona with RCCL and we were going to get our own flights with BA over.

6 weeks later RCCL put on the free flights offer, we contacted our TA who phoned RCCL / Crown & Anchor put across our case and we were able to get the free flight offer but had to pay £35 each. We went for that deal. £35 from Edinburgh to Barcelona. bargin.

Train - Catch the overnight sleeper from Arbroath into London then down to southampton, however may be tricky with a 6 year old. You can book that train 12 months in advance.

Virgin East Coast you can book 6 months in advance but I would try and avoid London.

Drive - As ive said in a previous post that is what we have done twice before. 5 hours down to Crewe ( stopped twice on the way down, so more like 6 hours), got a good deal at the travelodge. Then 3 hours drive first thing in the morning to Southampton.

On the way back we did it in the one day arriving home for teatime.

Steven

Thanks for this great your on our cruise.. Can you please advise were you got the train prices from as I couldn't get next years dates up yet. Thanks Lesley x

Lesley

Sorry, I used prices for September this year as a guide price and used Virgin Trains website. It was complicated as I also split the tickets to get the price I did - it was just a guideline to give an idea of train v car v plane. Personally I would rather spend 5 hours on a train with toilets than 10 hours in a car!! If air is an option I would take that any time - See you in Southampton in 476 days!!!!!

If you could either drive or take a bus to Glasgow you could get the Eavesway coach (or there is another company the ships use)direct to the ship. The only problem is that it leaves at 4am in Glasgow but has plenty of stops for food and toilet. You are usually on the ship by 2pm. You don`t need to handle your luggage after it goes on the coach in Glasgow. It arrives in your cabin after you board the ship.