Advice on drinks package please

Jarman28

I would ask this question on the forum dedicated to the cruise line, because the answer may be different depending on the cruise line.

For example, Royal Caribbean many times has promos on drink packages if purchased pre-cruise, so it's currently better to purchase pre-cruise if you are sailing on RC.

I recommend you think about how many drinks you will drink in a day. Remember on port days you will probably be off of the ship & won't be drinking.

Next go to forum of cruise line and ask for average price of your favourite drinks. Also ask if cuppacino type drinks are included in your drink package, as they are not always included.

From this you will be able to estimate how much you will spend on drink.

I only take the drinks package if it's free as I just don't drink enough. I think you have to drink about 6 alcoholic drinks per day every day, to make it cost efficient.

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

We cruise Carnival and we are getting it. A bucket of beers is 25ish for 4 beers. My husband can easily drink 8 plus beers a day while lounging by the pool. Add in unlimited soda and fancy coffee and shakes and he will,save money. I like a few cocktails that would be higher priced like a Mojito which can run close to 8ish, but I def love fancy coffee and shakes and stuff , so while maybe not all alcohol drinks but I think I will save too.

On Carnival, if you purchase before sailing, it is about 50 bucks cheaper. So for us.. Makes budgeting easier. And will save us money.

Have fun!!

There are a few issues that apply to just about all cruise lines. The first question is whether you drink enough to justify the cost of particular drink package. This is a simple math exercise. Many times it is possible to get a drink package as part of a booking promotion where the cost of the drink package might be discounted (you have to do some comparison to prices before the promotion). If you buy a package before your cruise you will be charged for that package (on your credit card) before you ever get on the ship. If purchased aboard it will put on your onboard account and paid after your cruise when you pay the credit card charges. For those that have lots of on board credits, it might pay to wait until you board so you can use those credits to help pay for the package. And there are other considerations. For example, Celebrity Cruises gives Elite Plus (and above) coupons that give them a discount (often 10%) off a drink package. But we do not get those coupons until we go to our cabin (the first day).

Hank

1st, you need to decide IF you need a package. Unless you drink lots of "non-included" beverages per day, it may be better to just pay as you go. You don't NEED a package to get anything.

So..take a look at what you normally drink on vacation....and consider on port days, you will NOT be using your package too much....then decide IF you need it.

If they were a good value, the cruise line wouldn't sell them. most people won't get their money's worth from them.

I told my husband that I'd love to see the data the cruise companies have on what people spend on drinks, and the ebb and flow of when people drink. Like I'm sure drink consumption is high on the first day and then presumably lower on the second because people are hungover, lol!

As for the original post, we just sailed NCL, and while we may not have gotten our money's worth (or we may have...I never took the time to calculate), it sure was nice and easy to have our drinks paid for ahead of time and be able to walk up to any bar and get whatever we wanted without having to think about how much it was costing. I think part of the appeal was the convenience of it for us, too. Plus if you get a drink you don't like, who cares if you don't finish it. :)

We purchase the drink package when we cruise (RCCL previously, this next cruise is on Carnival) and we always "get our monies worth" from it. Everyone seems to say that if you aren't big alcohol drinkers then you will be wasting your money but you have to remember that both lines include bottled water, sodas and Carnival includes lattes and other fancy type coffees plus Gatorade, Vitamin Water, bottled teas and energy drinks I believe (if that's your thing). Not to mention the shakes and virgin drinks that my husband loves as he isn't a big alcohol drinker but he can put away some Gatorade, soda and bottled water. So when you look a few alcoholic beverages but multiple bottles of water/tea, etc. plus some soda and the included tips we always come out to the better. I have several drinks each day, even a mimosa at breakfast sometimes, and never wind up hung over as I also have other beverages in between. So think about what you like to drink, alcohol or not, and add that up (including tip as the packages have gratuity included) then you'll know if it is a good idea for you. Also the convenience of not having that bill at the end of the cruise is priceless!

Most of my families who drink took the alcoholic beverage package on the last cruise (first cruise for most of them). After the cruise, they all said they would not do it on the next cruise. They don't drink a lot normally and having the package encourage them to drink more than usual.. a lot more. Most morning they woke up with bad headaches. We took the non-alcoholic premium package which is great. It includes all the non-alcoholic drinks including water, sparkling water, specialty coffee, virgin mixed drink, smoothie, etc... and it is about 1/3 of the price of the cheapest alcoholic package. Even with a glass or 2 of wine in the evening, it is still much cheaper than the alcoholic package.

And also if you decided to buy it, it maybe better to buy it onboard. I don't know if it is the same for every cruise line, but on our last cruise if you buy it on 3rd day of the cruise, the package is 2 days cheaper. That's over $200 saving for 2 people. First day is only half day. 2nd day is likely a port day so you may not be on the ship. 3rd day is probably a sea day and that's when you start your drinking! I meant hydration!