Documentation Needed for Solo Parent bringing kid

tfabrizio

Just wondering if anyone would know what documents I need to bring for our upcoming cruise on the Breakaway. I am taking my six year old son on a Dad and me trip.

I know that we both need passports, but the only thing I can find on the NCL site is a form for traveling without parents.

Thanks!

There is no specific documentation needed.

That said, I have taken my kids on many cruises without their father, and I always have a notarized and signed letter wtih his permissions to take the kids out of the country. DH does that too (with his ex-wife's sig, obviously), every time we cruise.

We have never been asked to present it, but it doesn't hurt to carry because I've heard that others have been asked.

You should have a notarized letter stating you are allowed to travel with the child; also the form should indicate that you have power to make medical decisions. You may not be asked for it, but if you are and don't have it customs can detain you until they verify the situation.

Some will say you only need a passport; that is not true. Many things can happen in a family after a passport is issued such as a custody battle.

Better to be prepared than to not. There is low risk of being detained, but there is not NO risk. Your bank may even notarize for free.

If my kids are traveling out of the country without me, I always provide a notarized letter, no matter who it is (DH, grandma, a friend, dance teacher). Only once did it need to be shown (Canada border), but not taking any chances.

If you are a legal parent then you don't need a letter from mom. He needs a birth certificate but not a passport as long as it is a closed loop cruise from the US. Canada requires a notarized letter from mom but even when I drove to Canada they didn't ask me for it. Their discretion I supposed. But if you feel better to get the letter then by all means get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's a moot point if you're Canadian - even if you are still married to the child's other parent, if you travel alone with the child, you MUST have the letter to cross the border. Period. So when my kids were minors, I printed out that letter, and then went ahead and notarized the NCL letter too. Better safe than sorry.

It's a moot point if you're Canadian - even if you are still married to the child's other parent, if you travel alone with the child, you MUST have the letter to cross the border. Period. So when my kids were minors, I printed out that letter, and then went ahead and notarized the NCL letter too. Better safe than sorry.

Thought I'd go ahead and cite that for you:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/children-travel

Note the requirements for a death certificate in the event of a deceased parent which is different than what NCL requires, and different from what the US would require. That's why travel documentation questions should be answered specific to the individual in question, not with a "this one time I did such and such" type response.

Edited by triptolemus

Just wondering if anyone would know what documents I need to bring for our upcoming cruise on the Breakaway. I am taking my six year old son on a Dad and me trip.

I know that we both need passports, but the only thing I can find on the NCL site is a form for traveling without parents.

Thanks!

NCL is quite specific about the required documentation for any cruise situation. Here's the site:

https://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

If you are in doubt, call NCL, do not rely on what you hear here, because while it is always well-intentioned, it's not always correct.

NCL is quite specific about the required documentation for any cruise situation. Here's the site:

https://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

If you are in doubt, call NCL, do not rely on what you hear here, because while it is always well-intentioned, it's not always correct.

Calling NCL is probably the worst option. Call twice, get three different answers.

If you are in doubt about travel document requirements, by all means, understand NCL's page on the subject. Also consult the travel requirements for the countries that apply to your SPECIFIC situation. See the example above for Canadian citizens traveling with children as a single parent. NCL's site makes not mention of this because it doesn't apply to NCL.

Research all official relevant sources. Get the straight dope, then ask questions from experienced people for clarification.

There is no specific documentation needed.

That said, I have taken my kids on many cruises without their father, and I always have a notarized and signed letter wtih his permissions to take the kids out of the country. DH does that too (with his ex-wife's sig, obviously), every time we cruise.

We have never been asked to present it, but it doesn't hurt to carry because I've heard that others have been asked.

My daughter cruised in February with her 4 children and was never asked to present the notarized consent from her ex-husband. She never had an issue. But I'm sure the one time someone doesn't go prepared with consent, will be the time they are asked to present it upon boarding. I would obtain it, just as a precautionary, and keep on you just in case you are asked.

Mexico requires a notorized letter if my memory serves me correct, even though I was the physical custody parent. It was super easy and totally cool. My son's dad and I have that kind of relationship anyways.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

There are three different sets of requirements here and 1 specific situation here..

NCLs. Pretty Simple.

US Customs and Immigration - while not required a notarized letter is recommended if both custodial parents are not traveling. The odds are they will not check any paperwork, but they COULD, so unless getting the form from the other parent is an issue, its a very good thing to have. If you cannot, carry a copy of a custody decree. I have personally seen a family denied boarding because of not having the form, but I have also seen families go right on by.

Canadian Customs and Immigration - No clue here, honestly, so going with what others have posted.

Now, the one situation.. In case of emergency in a foreign country, it is ALWAYS better to have more paperwork then you need. This is more critical with non-custodial adults like grandparents, but you really don't want to have to worry.

My TA puts the form as part of standard paperwork and she requests a copy for her files for each trip, just so she can help in an emergency

The forms she uses are here: http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf - Minor Travel Consent.pdf

Basically, it's like a passport on a closed loop cruise. Better to have and never need, then need and not have.

There are three different sets of requirements here and 1 specific situation here..

NCLs. Pretty Simple.

US Customs and Immigration - while not required a notarized letter is recommended if both custodial parents are not traveling. The odds are they will not check any paperwork, but they COULD, so unless getting the form from the other parent is an issue, its a very good thing to have. If you cannot, carry a copy of a custody decree. I have personally seen a family denied boarding because of not having the form, but I have also seen families go right on by.

Canadian Customs and Immigration - No clue here, honestly, so going with what others have posted.

Now, the one situation.. In case of emergency in a foreign country, it is ALWAYS better to have more paperwork then you need. This is more critical with non-custodial adults like grandparents, but you really don't want to have to worry.

My TA puts the form as part of standard paperwork and she requests a copy for her files for each trip, just so she can help in an emergency

The forms she uses are here: http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf - Minor Travel Consent.pdf

Basically, it's like a passport on a closed loop cruise. Better to have and never need, then need and not have.

Awesome! Thanks for the form.

You should have a notarized letter stating you are allowed to travel with the child; also the form should indicate that you have power to make medical decisions. You may not be asked for it, but if you are and don't have it customs can detain you until they verify the situation.

Some will say you only need a passport; that is not true. Many things can happen in a family after a passport is issued such as a custody battle.

Better to be prepared than to not. There is low risk of being detained, but there is not NO risk. Your bank may even notarize for free.

A parent doesn't need a form saying that they can make medical decisions for a minor.

All the OP should take is a letter from his wife that it it OK to take their son out of the country. It should be notarized and provide a bit of specificity about the trip.

When I went on a cruise with my son, I researched the State Department website. That is where I believe I found that Mexico requires a notorized letter from the parent that is not traveling with you saying that they are aware that you are traveling to their country with the child. Granted, I never had to show it, so maybe it was more for if it was a land based Mexican vacation. My point is always check the State Department website for the most up to date requirements.

Again, need? No. But in an emergency situation do you want to deal with an overly pendantic hospital admin, especially if any insurance presented is in the spouse's name?

A parent doesn't need a form saying that they can make medical decisions for a minor.

All the OP should take is a letter from his wife that it it OK to take their son out of the country. It should be notarized and provide a bit of specificity about the trip.

When I went on a cruise with my son, I researched the State Department website. That is where I believe I found that Mexico requires a notorized letter from the parent that is not traveling with you saying that they are aware that you are traveling to their country with the child. Granted, I never had to show it, so maybe it was more for if it was a land based Mexican vacation. My point is always check the State Department website for the most up to date requirements.

Why? Do you can be clear on what is needed like you were?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Again, need? No. But in an emergency situation do you want to deal with an overly pendantic hospital admin, especially if any insurance presented is in the spouse's name?

There will be no problem with Amy insurance because they will not be accepting anything except a credit card. You can deal with insurance after you get home.

The big problem is people try to apply US rules to other countries. They have their own and Americans are usually quite shocked when they find out what they are.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk