Kaanapali Beach question

tourismtessy

We want to go snorkeling at Black Rock. Where can we rent snorkeling equipment near there?

Black Rock is good snorkeling location for everyone. Just make sure you are aware of conditions if you want to go around the point.

If you are snorkeling on other islands you may want to look into Snorkel Bobs, where you can rent on one island and return on another island. It makes it very easy to get off the ship and not worry about snorkeling equipment. Have a great time!!! Cherie

Are taxis readily available from Kaanapali beach back to tender port ?

Sorry we didn't answer your question fast enough...

Maui is not a big city type of place, so the number of cabs just sitting around might be limited. I would suggest getting the phone number for the cab service that takes you, and calling them when you are ready to return, if you don't see a cab around. Ask the cab driver where the cabs wait in the Ka'anapali area. And/or ask one of the hotels if they will call you a cab, if none is visible when you are ready to return.

this is exactly what we did. as our cab driver was dropping us off, he handed us a business card. when we were ready to leave, I called and the original driver's sister picked us up in her taxi.

Just got back from a stay at the Westin on Kaanapali Beach. Took a cab to the Feat at Lele in Lahaina and it was $20 including tip. If you go to any of the hotels on Kaanapali Beach, they should have a taxi stand out front to get you back to Lahaina. We had no trouble getting a cab from the Westin.

I cannot say enough good things about how this store does business. I had originally been emailing them about renting snorkel equipment, as we arrive in port too late for most snorkel tours. They emailed me a few days ago, that they have just opened a Turtle Safari tour 7 days a week, and it would be a private tour for my family of six. I found a coupon on facebook for 2 for 1 for October, and when I called they even honored that, even though my trip is in November. The coupon code is Safari. I had asked about their cancellation policy, which was 48 hours in advance. I had expressed my concern, as we may not be able to tender in for some reason. They offered me a guarantee to refund my money, if we cannot get off the ship. I highly their recommend their customer service.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/6838921?m=19905

Is it an easy swim to Black Rock? Or is it far from shore? Just wondering if we

can do it on our own or if we should hire someone to take us out?

Thanks

Black Rock is a lava point on the northern end of Ka'anapali Beach & is accessible from the sandy beach adjacent to the Sheraton hotel.

On page 28 of this Maui Dive Shop magazine it shows a map of Black Rock & other snorkeling/scuba sites.

http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html

If you read the posts in this thread you should be able to safely enjoy snorkeling at Black Rock.

image.jpg.451e7da727a0cff4f5396fe89bff0c1f.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Black Rock is a lava point on the northern end of Ka'anapali Beach & is accessible from the sandy beach adjacent to the Sheraton hotel.

On page 28 of this Maui Dive Shop magazine it shows a map of Black Rock & other snorkeling/scuba sites.

http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html

If you read the posts in this thread you should be able to safely enjoy snorkeling at Black Rock.

Thank you, good article

• 3 weeks later...
On our last cruise' date=' we were there on Christmas Day. got a taxi in Lahaina to the hotel that's right in front of Whalers Village (which actually was mostly open -- some stores and one of the restaurants were closed). It's right next to the beach. You definitely don't need to book an excursion.[/quote']

Did you snorkel in front of Whalers Village, it looks like it might be good snorkeling right there?

Did you snorkel in front of Whalers Village, it looks like it might be good snorkeling right there?

Based on the Maui Dive brochure (http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html) and my reliable guidebook the only place to snorkel/dive at Ka'anapali Beach is at Black Rock. Except for Black Rock's lava point it's apparently all a sandy bottom & lacking coral it's not great for underwater viewing. My experience has been that even with a sandy surface there will be a few fish darting around but it's not great.

Another recommended location is Kahekili Beach slightly north of Ka'anapali Beach but the reef is slightly offshore. I did my night dive certification there but it wasn't nearly as good as at Black Rock.

We didn't snorkel. We went there to go to Whalers Village as we knew (from advance research) it would be open on Christmas Day. At one point, we did walk on the walkway along the beach.

Does anyone know what the water temperature is at the beach in early May? Trying to decide whether to go to the beach or not.

Thanks!

The Hawaii Weather Today website is the best one I've found for our Maui weather. Meteorologist Glenn James provides a lot of useful information including average weather conditions by month in addition to daily weather for different activities.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

Here's what he states about May average water temperature: "Sea water temperature averages about 76 degrees F. (25.6C)".

Edited by Astro Flyer

Have been in Hawaii in 9 of the 12 months, including November, December, and January (i.e. winter months) and the sea temp has never been unswimmable. May is a summer month!!!

As you said, the water temperature is always swimmable in Hawaii & on Maui water temperature only varies from 74° to 80°.

I prefer winter air temperatures with highs in upper 70s to low 80s vs. summer's upper 80s to low-mid 90s.

Edited by Astro Flyer