Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

First, I would like to start off by giving a bit of info that I remember people,

including me, wanting to know. Things like magnets sticking to the walls. I

purchased two heavy duty ones at a $2 shop and they work brilliantly! The only places they do NOT stick is the wooden clothes closet and the bathroom walls (the door frame in the bathroom, however is metal so the magnet will stick there). I have my DP and relevant paperwork in one and the other holds my magnifying mirror for those tweezing moments:))

I am so thankful to the poster on here who introduced me to magnets. I bought a pack of a dozen lovely round blue magnets in a Daiso store. The section of wall next to the desk is soon covered with the DP and various invitations. Luckily on my last cruise I had taken along spares - smaller pink ones. Two friends thought it was a wonderful idea and took my spares for their own room.

Edited by fantasy51

One issue is that some people are doing the world cruise while others are doing just segments or just one leg, so there are a few rollcalls and not much movement on any of them.:D

I'm glad this rollcall was set up to included all segments. Otherwise it would be very disjointed. I'll be curious to see how folks connect with all the coming and going. It is interesting to note how different the rollcall activity is for different voyages.

I know the canal is very dependent on ship traffic, but does anyone have a general idea of how long after the start (6:00 is what was mentioned) until you get to the first lock. It's been a few years since we've done the canal and I know it's a day long process.

Also, if there is a good website to use for the webcams, please post here.

Thanks, Karen

I know the canal is very dependent on ship traffic, but does anyone have a general idea of how long after the start (6:00 is what was mentioned) until you get to the first lock. It's been a few years since we've done the canal and I know it's a day long process.

Thanks, Karen

I was just getting ready to post this!

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Thanks, Karen

The ship will reach the first lock within 30 minutes from raising anchor at Colon.

From last year (as published in the Daily Programme)...

Approximate Times of Transit

6:30am Pilot boarding time

8:10am Arriving Gatun locks

10:20am Clearing Gatun locks

12:15pm Passing Gamboa and entering Galliard cut

2:55pm Arriving Pedro Miguel locks

3:45pm Clearing Pedro Miguel locks

4:15pm Arriving Miraflores locks

5:25pm Clearing Miraflores locks

5:30pm Passing Bridge of Americas

6:00pm Pilot disembarking

Thanks, Kathi. Even if it changes a bit, the progression should be somewhat the same. I thought the Galliard/Culebra cut was one of the most interesting parts, especially having read "The Path Between the Seas". I'll have to see if the QE bridge cam can show it to any advantage. We always enjoy the locks and lock operations, but the significant issues around the Cut are quite interesting. We will probably do another canal trip once the new canal is finished :).

Thanks, Kathi. Even if it changes a bit, the progression should be somewhat the same. I thought the Galliard/Culebra cut was one of the most interesting parts, especially having read "The Path Between the Seas". I'll have to see if the QE bridge cam can show it to any advantage. We always enjoy the locks and lock operations, but the significant issues around the Cut are quite interesting. We will probably do another canal trip once the new canal is finished :).

I so enjoyed the passage through the canal last year with Kathi and Maggie Mou and Janix. Fascinating day. Will have to watch on the webcam this year. Mind you, am looking forward to doing the other Canal this year

I am interested to hear of how the progress on the new canal is going. I am sure that someone with the knowledge will provide the information to the guests on board as to its progress.: If this can be passed on please, I will be grateful.D

Edited by MicCanberra

Just got our DP with tomorrow's canal passage approx. times:

6:15 Pilot boarding

7:45 Arriving Gatun locks

10:00 Clearing Gatun locks

12:55 Passing Gamboa and entering Gailliard cut

2:45 Arriving Pedro Miguel Locks

3:15 Clearing Pedro Miguel Locks

3:45 Arriving Miraflores Locks

5:10 Clearing Miraflores Locks

5:30 Passing Bridge of Americas

5:45 Pilot disembarking

Pretty close to yours Kathi.

Monday, 26 Jan

I do it every time....I read the next day's DP and when it tells you to turn

the clocks back or forward. I automatically go ahead and do it, not remembering that that is for the NEXT day. So I arrived in the Lido and at first I could figure out why they were 30 people instead of 5-10...then I remembered and laughed to myself. Also in the DP, there was two listings

for Australia Day ...one at 5:15 for a get together, and the second at 9:45 pm

billed as Australia Day Celebration in the Golden Lion Pub - a singalong. The

canal lecturer gave a talk at 11:00, but will watch that on TV later.

Decided that since today was supposed to be sunny and warm that we would try out the Lido Aft Pool for the first time. So we changed and off we went....

got there at 8:30...yes that is right! I always like to get somewhere early

and to find the best seats....we were the only ones looking for sun chairs...

there were others having a sit under the new sail and they looked at us like

we were crazy. So we had our books, sunscreen and sunglasses and of course

got plenty of towels! I do not like cold water so when my husband first

suggested we try out the pool after only 10 minutes I just laughed. He tried

the shower first and said it was hot! which surprised me. Then he lowered

himself into the pool via the ladder and said it was very warm, to which I

doubted because he usually tries to trick me into getting into the water and

then I freeze. BUT, not so today the shower was very hot, the pool, which I

later learned was 30-32C, was warm and the spa just a hair cooler. We spent a little time there then got out and let the sun doing our drying. For the next

3 hours, we read and dozed. At noon, the Captain came on with his daily

announcements. All I heard was calm seas, nice weather and that in the morning at around 6:30 we would arrive outside the beginning Gatun Lock, and enter the lock around 7:45. Next came lunch. I was all rearing to go for my first hot dog (still hadn't had one) and there was some kind of ceiling leak in the Lido Grill area so it wasn't meant for me to have a hotdog today. Opted for pasta prepared fresh..well they had pre-cooked it for the most part. The my DH discovered pecan pie for the first time in his life! I thought his eyes would roll into the back of his head...he was in heaven and said "THIS IS SOOOOO GOOD" to which I agreed. I hadn't had any for over 20 years as it always is a bit rich for me. Then back to the pool for a little more swimming and of course to try a poolside drink. Brings up a point...we had a strawberry daiquiri the other night before the show, and it was in the Cafe Carinthia area. The cost was exactly the same of course, but you know what? The size at pool side was twice the size! I had a strawberry daiquiri and DH had mango daiquiri and both were very nice. I bet you can guess where all our drinks will be next time....lol. Today was the first time we heard the band Changez. The music started out sounding the same as QM2's resident band Vibez (Caribbean type) but ended up with them singing a few country music songs by Shania Twain and Johnny Cash. A bit different for music by the pool, but alright. Now back in our room after spending nearly 5 hours by the pool. I sure hope I applied enough sunscreen all day! :)) I feel a nap coming on.

Woke up from our little nap and it was almost time for dressing for dinner. It

is informal tonight and the menu looked a bit tempting so we will be going

to the Britannia DR tonight. DH has the lamb shanks, which he loves, and I

had the chicken curry; both were really good. Dessert was the trio of ice

creams, which we like because it is a pretty light way to go.

Pretty early night for us as we want to do a little TV watching to see the

lecture on the Panama Canal before we do that tomorrow morning starting around 6:15, the time the pilot comes on. Good night all and until next time.

Micanberra...will see if I can learn what the progress is with the canal.

Just got our DP with tomorrow's canal passage approx. times:

6:15 Pilot boarding

7:45 Arriving Gatun locks

10:00 Clearing Gatun locks

12:55 Passing Gamboa and entering Gailliard cut

2:45 Arriving Pedro Miguel Locks

3:15 Clearing Pedro Miguel Locks

3:45 Arriving Miraflores Locks

5:10 Clearing Miraflores Locks

5:30 Passing Bridge of Americas

5:45 Pilot disembarking

Pretty close to yours Kathi.

Thanks - hope I'll get up in time to at least see you in the Gatun locks, if not when you enter. Hope you have a good day for your transit.

I am so thankful to the poster on here who introduced me to magnets. I bought a pack of a dozen lovely round blue magnets in a Daiso store. The section of wall next to the desk is soon covered with the DP and various invitations. Luckily on my last cruise I had taken along spares - smaller pink ones. Two friends thought it was a wonderful idea and took my spares for their own room.

I find it just as easy to place them in the gap between the wall and the base of the mirror and have them pretrudiing around the edge. :D

The QE has just arrived at the Gatun locks. Click Gatun High Resolution tab

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Watching from my living room - the bridge cam just went out, but hopefully they have a tech guy fixing it. Supposedly it's a satellite issue, but that seems unlikely.The canal webcam has a great view at this point.

Edited by kahtrav

Watching from my living room - the bridge cam just went out, but hopefully they have a tech guy fixing it. Supposedly it's a satellite issue, but that seems unlikely.The canal webcam has a great view at this point.

Looks like the bridge cam satellite issue will be around for awhile, but the pancanal camera is giving great shots - can see you all on the bow (well, kind of - you are pretty tiny :).

HI Kathi. Have been watching my computer for hours now watching this. So many happy memories of last year.

It was an amazing day. I was all over the ship that day trying to see everything that was happening. Today I looked back fondly on the pictures I took.

Thank you for posting those photos....fabulous, that is one part if the world on my bucket list, thanks to Alibaba also for answering my post.

Can anyone tell me if the hair dryers in the cabin are near a mirror and are they any good??.... a girls gotta know these things.

The past 3 days in Sydney have been very wet and coolish a stark contrast to the weather we have had over summer, I have to say it is a welcome relief. Hopefully by the time we reach Sydney on the sector I am on Sydney will be back on show with brilliant weather.

I originally went on the roll call for this cruise but you are correct very little movement on there so thankfully I found you all on here. I have really enjoyed reading about all your adventures and makes me excited to board her in Honolulu.

Cheers

Louise

Sent from my iPad using Forums