Price Changes

auntieeb

We booked a cruise on Arcadia in November 2014 for a cruise departing August 2015.

A few days after we booked the ports of call changed due to the Russia/Ukraine problem.

We understood why and were happy with the alternative ports of call.

However when I checked the cruise details on line to look in more detail at the ports I noticed the price had changed significantely.

The cruise was a lot cheaper and the on board credit increased by quite a lot.

When I telephoned P and O to ask if they would offer the new price to us the reply was they couldn't/wouldn't as we had already booked with a low deposit offer!!! So we cancelled the first booking and rebooked at the new price, ok so we lost the "low deposit" but gained the other benefits.

Will be very wary in future of booking early and with P and O.

even though we have cruised with them seven times before.

We booked a cruise on Arcadia in November 2014 for a cruise departing August 2015.

A few days after we booked the ports of call changed due to the Russia/Ukraine problem.

We understood why and were happy with the alternative ports of call.

However when I checked the cruise details on line to look in more detail at the ports I noticed the price had changed significantely.

The cruise was a lot cheaper and the on board credit increased by quite a lot.

When I telephoned P and O to ask if they would offer the new price to us the reply was they couldn't/wouldn't as we had already booked with a low deposit offer!!! So we cancelled the first booking and rebooked at the new price, ok so we lost the "low deposit" but gained the other benefits.

Will be very wary in future of booking early and with P and O.

even though we have cruised with them seven times before.

Not nice when it happens, but I will say you did not book early. Early for that cruise would have been in the first week in April 2014. That's when you get the best deal if you are booking early. The price paid then would have been less than you paid.

Book early, ie in April or book late. Do not book in the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How late is late? How close to the cruise are you likely to get the best deal when booking late?

Unfortunately that is a more difficult question. It depends entirely on the cruise. Some late never comes as the price stays high all the way through the booking period. A number of people have complained on other boards that they waited for the price to drop on a cruise, only to find it did not happen.

Sometimes there are good deals about now for the summer and with others the best deals are between 2/3 month before. If there were one ideal time the bookings would peak then as people would wait. That does not happen.

I'm deciding whether to wait a while before I book the cruise I want to go on. I've previously booked at the beginning of the the year for a cruise going July or Aug only to realise the price has gone down 2 or 3 months later. My neighbour who works for a cruise line has told me they generally go down in price 3 months before they sail. It's just the worry that you wont get the type of cabin you want leaving it that long. Has anyone on here left it that long before booking?

My friend works for a TA and they reckon 6 weeks before as that's when people cancel ! The only problem can be the flights that may be booked which we fell down on in nov 2012 to Barbados. Could get the cabin but not the flight from Manchester. Booked ours at 60 days but a few days after the flight was full so I think it's the luck of the draw !!

Since we retired we have taken a few last minute decisions with regards to cruises and have had some real bargains with Saver fares such as 10 days in a balcony on Adonia for £399 booked 3 weeks before sailing. That said, when we want a particular cruise or a fly cruise we tend to book early to be sure of getting what we want.

I think that generally the prices come down around 12 weeks before sailing because the final payment date has passed and most people who are cancelling will have done so and consequently the cruise companies know what the true availability is. We have booked at 11 or 12 weeks because we liked the price and have later seen the price go up or down, if the cruise is selling well at a particular price they will raise it a little but if they are still struggling to sell the cabins they will lower it further. Basically I would say go when you see a price that you are happy with and then don't concern yourself with price fluctuations.

I agree with Josy, I bought a coat from M & S in the sale just after Xmas after watching the price for a couple of months I got a real bargain it was reduced from £170 to £65. Last week it was on the bargain rail at £35 it's just how it goes.

Rule of thumb is book when you are happy with the price and don't look again.

It's as Josy says and it's very difficult to predict what the public are going to do when pricing anything up we are unpredictable creatures.

Oh decisions decisions!!! Part of me wants to book it now so I know I'm going and get excited about it. lol. I don't have to worry about flights matching up as I live in Southampton and the cruise I want to do is sailing from there and back there. It's not until the 31st Aug going to Portugal, Canaries and Spain for 12nights on The Azura. Maybe I will take a chance and wait a while. Anyone been on this destination?

It's just luck sometimes, we booked last week and going in March so 8 weeks before departure, not sure how we fared on the cruise cost for them who booked last year but we did get £580 OBC which as of today is no longer being offered :D.

Generally because we need an accessible room we book when the itineraries are released.

Oh decisions decisions!!! Part of me wants to book it now so I know I'm going and get excited about it. lol. I don't have to worry about flights matching up as I live in Southampton and the cruise I want to do is sailing from there and back there. It's not until the 31st Aug going to Portugal, Canaries and Spain for 12nights on The Azura. Maybe I will take a chance and wait a while. Anyone been on this destination?

Hi,

We did the Canaries and Madeira last Oct, albeit on Celebrity. Its a relaxing cruise. No mad cap busy busy ports like in the med. We are doing a similar one on Britannia in March.

Im not sure what cabin grade you are looking at and if you are happy to accept a saver fare. The agent I use is showing Balconies at £1084 on a saver fare and £1459 on a select fare with £680 OBC. Inside at £768 on a saver fare or £1045 on a select fare with £680 obc.

If you really want that specific cruise and need a select fare (choice of cabin and dining) then I would say book now. If you are happy for a saver fare then I think this may drop in price. P&O have a lot of capacity from Southampton with 3 big ships this year and your cruise creeps into term time so that reduces demand somewhat. It also depends if you could use the huge chunks of on board credit.

I hope this helps.

Kevin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

I am a book at the last minute cruiser.

Last minute can sometimes mean within the last week before sailing. If you are prepared to keep looking several times a week you can get a bargain. An example being the Ventura last May for 14 nights @ £679, with flights to Venice.

Last minute can sometimes mean within the last week before sailing. If you are prepared to keep looking several times a week you can get a bargain. An example being the Ventura last May for 14 nights @ £679, with flights to Venice.

When retirement comes, I long to be able to book so late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with Josy, I bought a coat from M & S in the sale just after Xmas after watching the price for a couple of months I got a real bargain it was reduced from £170 to £65. Last week it was on the bargain rail at £35 it's just how it goes.

Rule of thumb is book when you are happy with the price and don't look again.

I think we need to put the M&S price analogy to bed once and for all, as its the example that gets quoted time and time again.

The big difference here is that your sale item in M&S is last season, yes you might still get some wear out of it, but from an M&S point of view, its old stock, wrong season - big coats with Spring approaching, or bikinis at the end of summer and they want rid ASAP as its taking up valuable floor space that can be put to better use displaying new season stock at full price.

So its old tat they are trying to get rid off before they ship it to the outlet stores.

Whereas your cruise that you have just seen slashed by a third is still to happen, its new, its exciting, its something you are looking forward to, its something that is still on sale as a cruise for the coming season, its still in the glossy brochures and its still current.

That is why people get so upset, I'm not one of them, but trying to explain it away via the M&S example - doesn't work or help our cruisers in distress!

Edited by richleeds

I think we need to put the M&S price analogy to bed once and for all, as its the example that gets quoted time and time again.

The big difference here is that your sale item in M&S is last season, yes you might still get some wear out of it, but from an M&S point of view, its old stock, wrong season - big coats with Spring approaching, or bikinis at the end of summer and they want rid ASAP as its taking up valuable floor space that can be put to better use displaying new season stock at full price.

So its old tat they are trying to get rid off before they ship it to the outlet stores.

Whereas your cruise that you have just seen slashed by a third is still to happen, its new, its exciting, its something you are looking forward to, its something that is still on sale as a cruise for the coming season, its still in the glossy brochures and its still current.

That is why people get so upset, I'm not one of them, but trying to explain it away via the M&S example - doesn't work or help our cruisers in distress!

Totally agree. Comparing vastly different business models is pointless.

Side note. Good old m&s may reduce stuff but generally the factories making it have to "make a contribution" as in not getting paid the price agreed months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take the point but surely as far as the business side of things is concerned P&O do not want ships sailing with empty cabins so near the cruise date they lower the price of remaining cabins - very often those other people don't want - so they are still making money. I can see the argument about "end of the season" articles in shops but even when it's only a few weeks later something can be reduced - or in my case reduced again. I bought a very nice jacket just before Christmas - wore it over Christmas and New Year - I thought it was a good buy as it was reduced from £179 to £80 - I've just seen it on a website, now priced at £35 - do I regret it - no.

I firmly believe that you look at a price, decide whether you are happy to pay it and either go for it or wait and see if it's reduced - but take into account all the cabins of the grade you want may get sold so you don't get the cruise - all a matter of choice.

Hello to KevinYork

Seeing that you have done a few cruises Would it be ok to ask your opinion of a price that I have been given at Bath Travel is a good one. It's for 12 nights to Canaries beginning of Sept for a cabin with obstructed view for £1255. per person plus a £390 obc per person. It's a select fare.Should I go with it or wait nearer the sail date. Anyone elses opinion is welcome.

Thank you

We booked our cruise on Adonia for april 2015 last year at the opening. Insides and outsides are completely sold out. Only balconies available. Price has never been less than we paid. We got a great deal. Ok, there may be a last minute cheapie if someone cancels, but I wouldn't be prepared to wait that long.

Hello to KevinYork

Seeing that you have done a few cruises Would it be ok to ask your opinion of a price that I have been given at Bath Travel is a good one. It's for 12 nights to Canaries beginning of Sept for a cabin with obstructed view for £1255. per person plus a £390 obc per person. It's a select fare.Should I go with it or wait nearer the sail date. Anyone elses opinion is welcome.

Thank you

I am assuming it's the Ventura. There are possible better deals if you search, cannot name but Bon Voyage !

I booked my June cruise last November and went to look at it yesterday and it's £100 MORE pp!

That's kind of the point.

I remember when they had 'Right to Buy' at first and everyone was buying their council houses. Some people made a lot of money. Some people lost money because their house dropped in value. The latter started 'demanding' compensation for being sold a house that lost money. I wonder if the house had doubled in value, would they have given the profits back ?

I booked a cruise early for August 2015 for very specific reasons. I'm sure I could get it cheaper. You make a contract at the point you buy the cruise. Some people will get the same deal cheaper than you.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser to do a bit of work themselves and not just charge in blindly and complain if it doesn't suit them.

Even posting here gets lots of answers ; DaiB (is he ever at home ?) has a huge amount of knowledge about P&O for example. An hour spent just browsing this forum would get you up to speed I think.

It would seem that there is never going to be a "tipping point", the best time to buy a cruise, if only because if there were everyone would wait for it and the P&O would adjust accordingly.

I think it's a sense you develop over time of what goes for what and when is the right time to step in and buy.

Swings and roundabout isn't it. If you absolutely *must* have that cruise, say it's a golden wedding and your other half is desperate to go to Venice, you might pay more.

I do sometimes wonder if some cruisers want to spoil their own holiday. If someone gets a good deal, good luck to them I say. Met someone on our first cruise who'd got it for £199pp, well done them.

We once got an upgrade. Most people who we mentioned it to (we didn't go around announcing it) wanted if anything to know 'what we'd done' (no idea at all !) but you could see the odd one starting to sulk. Such is life. Same sort of people who look down on inside cabin people or Thomson cruisers etc.

32 nights departing March 23, 2015 on

Seabourn's Seabourn Odyssey

Brochure Suite£28,434

Our Suite£4,607

You Save 84%

Brochure Balcony Suite£31,726

Our Balcony Suite£5,265

You Save 83%

In reply to a number of posters in the past, regarding the selling off of cabins at a cheaper price, I have said but it is not just P&O as the poster often says I shall look elsewhere.

Above is an ad from a TA, and all references to that TA I have removed, it clearly shows huge reductions on a cruise which is 6/7 weeks time. The above is equivalent to a £2000 P&O fare being brought down to £300.

I wonder if those on Seabourn Odyssey are going to complain as well.

All cruise lines discount their cabins they cannot fill and clearly if you are going to book a cruise with whatever line you must be aware of this. So moving from P&O, or any other line does not solve this perceived problem.

AFAICS they all do it and quite a few seem to have the 'pricey' option - book your cabin, get your dining allocation etc etc. and the 'cheap' option - chance everything as well under various names.

I've never really grasped the problem. It's not like the Cruiselines hide this, and Cruise Critic and similar sites make it obvious that discounting goes on.