Liquor Purchase

ranchette

Hi

I had wanted to write something about purchasing liquor in St Martin. I just returned from a cruise on the NCL Gem and went to both St Thomas and St Martin. I purchased all my liquor in St Thomas but noted that everything was much more expensive than what I remembered from previous trips. I thought it was due to the dollar. Absolut was $11 per if you bought three. When we arrived in St Martin, I walked along boardwalk. It was only to pick out a bar for drinks later in the day. When the "boardwalk" ended we mad a right onto Front Street. There was a number of places here to puchase liquor. Absolut was $8 a bottle. So much for a duty free mecca (St Thomas). As we walked along Front Street the prices got higher. I saw it for as much as $12. It was the highest at the pier.

Save some cash and walk a little further to the end of Front Street. Enjoy

but your duty free allowance is greater. 6 bottles pp vs. 2. I still buy from AH Riise as they deliver to the ship and have a great selection in town and an ok one at either pier. Dynasty at Havensite is also good. Both offer specials for 2 or more of certain items. I haven't bought at KMart in ears as I won't lug the boxes back to the ship tosave a buck.

I believe the allowance in St Thomas is 5 bottles if one of the bottles is locally made. In St martin it is one bottle.

First, if I purchase a bottle for $8 and pay a duty of $2.50, my math says it is cheaper than having to pay $33 for 3 bottles.

Second, I put my liquor in my luggage and don't get questioned about what I bought or declared. I always seem to get asked some stupid question by the Feds. They all appear to be comics in waiting.

I write the exact number of bottles on the declaration form and always bring back 6-7 bottles from St. Maarten. I have never been questioned and have never paid any duty. I even bring in liquor bottled in Cuba and the customs folks still don't care.

I buy all my liquor at Caribbean Paradise unless I can find a loss-leader at a Jewelry shop on Front Street.

However, bring back BBQ baby-back ribs on the plane and they get all bothered. I tell you the Pig Union must be pretty strong in the US! :eek:

Rum Jumby best price in St Maarten and where?..We have usually bought it at the liquor store just before the water taxi on the pier as we return to the ship..Better suggestions...Thanks !!! Also just a note...a little stand on the pier has the best coconut slush and they will put a shot of rum in it if you ask...:p;)

• 2 weeks later...
Rum Jumby best price in St Maarten and where?..We have usually bought it at the liquor store just before the water taxi on the pier as we return to the ship..Better suggestions...Thanks !!! Also just a note...a little stand on the pier has the best coconut slush and they will put a shot of rum in it if you ask...:p;)

Yeah that coconut drink was the bomb!!

My DH is a serious specialty liquor collector and he always buys at Juggies place. He says he has the best prices. Lord knows he's bought enough from him the last couple of years. Email Juggie before you go to see what his price is.

Here is some more info about Juggie.

http://familytravelfun.com/juggiesplace.html

My DH is a serious specialty liquor collector and he always buys at Juggies place. He says he has the best prices....

I've priced Juggies and he has a very limited selection. His prices are DEFINITELY not anywhere near the lowest. Tell hubby to keep looking

I've priced Juggies and he has a very limited selection. His prices are DEFINITELY not anywhere near the lowest. Tell hubby to keep looking

I think Juggie gets him specialty stuff. I also thinks he likes hanging out there.

Disclaimer: Hubby doesn't actually tell me what he pays for all the liquor he buys. We have a "don't ask-don't tell" policy. I probably don't want to know....

• 3 weeks later...

So it looks like there are a lot of suggestions but has anyone really done a comparison? Is Grande Marche cheaper than Front street? Is the French side less expensive? Let's say I wanted Ron Zacapa 23. Does any merchant have that? What was the price?

It's great to see the suggestions. Some brand names and prices could go a long way to determine the best place for liquor in St. Martin (selection considered).

..Is Grande Marche cheaper than Front street? Is the French side less expensive?...

Every year when I am in St. Maarten for 2-3 weeks, I check liquor prices at all the stores then fill my shopping list. Some thoughts:

* Le Grande Marche is not the best price, but has a nice selection

* Some jewelry shops on Front Street often feature a loss leader for a few brands.

* Caribbean Paradise on Front Street consistently offers a wide selection at the lowest price

* The Market Garden grocery store at Simpson Bay offers a 5% discount from very low prices if you purchase before 8am.

* Cost U Less (Costco equivalent) usually has the best prices for cases of beer

* Location of the store is critical; if purchasing only a few bottles, the hassle factor plays a role.

* Many merchants will negotiate if you tell them the specific store that is selling the same bottle cheaper.

* A few shops have uncommon brands (e.g. Gulmohar's on Front Street)

* Excellent French wine can be found only on the French side (e.g. Select Wine Cellar at Cole Bay)

* Liquor prices on the French side are very high

* Only buy brands where there is a significant cost savings vs home; the price may be good, but if you are only saving $5 or so, the weight of the bottle on checked luggage plays a role.

* My best savings is vodka - elit by Stolichnaya ($~35 at St. Maarten); by far the very best vodka in the world!

* I buy Absolut ($7/liter) for parts cleaner or gifts to friends.

So it looks like there are a lot of suggestions but has anyone really done a comparison? Is Grande Marche cheaper than Front street? Is the French side less expensive? Let's say I wanted Ron Zacapa 23. Does any merchant have that? What was the price?

It's great to see the suggestions. Some brand names and prices could go a long way to determine the best place for liquor in St. Martin (selection considered).

Caribbean Paradise is a winner.

Both my friend kal and I spend several weeks a year on island, and we both, independently, have settled in on Caribbean Paradise for the best prices if they carry what you're looking for. My jewelry store for the loss leader pricing is Splash, across the street.

th_DSCN1053.jpg th_DSCN1056.jpg

(click)

For your Ron Zacapa 23, I'd check at Gulmohar's, across the street.

th_DSCN2503.jpg

gary

p.s. If you're planning on a quantity purchase, you might try Prime Distributing, the wholesaler, located in Cole Bay. But how would you get it home?

I don't care if I can save $20 on a bottle of vodka or rum. If I can get it at home I'm not taking the trouble of lugging it all the way back from the Caribbean.

What I want to know is what awesome liquors can I only get in the Caribbean that would be worth bringing back? I've heard that there is a local guavaberry liquor on St Martin. Anything else anyone can suggest?

Thanks!

Trish

as something different can be replaced by buying a bottle of cherry flavored cough medicine. Both are overly sweet and not much kick. I would suggest a Marinique rhum or as pecial bottling of Cognac or scotch. I've even found some gin that wasn't available at home.

Archived