Thinking about trying NCL

springgrl

Hi everyone!

We are "loyal to Royal" and have only taken RCI cruises since the children outgrew the Disney cruises. However, we are considering booking a cruise on the new Norwegian Breakaway this summer. We love that it departs from NYC and like the 7 day Bermuda itinerary since we are more interested in the ship than the ports at this point. Could anyone who has cruised both lines let us know the pros and cons? The Breakaway looks amazing but we are specifically concerned about activities, staff, dining and general atmosphere on NCL as it compares to RCI. I know they have many "for fee" dining venues but are the "complimentary" ones nice as well? We've been on the Mariner, Explorer and Freedom of the Seas and loved each one of them! Thanks for any input!

I've been on NCL a few times. I would say that the main difference between our Royal cruises (10) and NCL (3) was that we ended up spending more $$ on NCL because we went to the specialty restaurants. The main dining on NCL was fine for us, but there was never anything outstanding. I recognize that many people say that about Royal also, but we have our favorites from the former Royal menus!

We had no problem finding entertainment on NCL, I found it refreshing to see new things on NCL because we had been so accustomed to Royal. Games we hadn't played on a cruise, different shows, etc. The Breakaway looks like a great ship with lots of neat additions similar to the Epic. We went on the Epic and had a great time, but again... spent a lot more money than usual due to the dining.

Hi everyone!

We are "loyal to Royal" and have only taken RCI cruises since the children outgrew the Disney cruises. However, we are considering booking a cruise on the new Norwegian Breakaway this summer. We love that it departs from NYC and like the 7 day Bermuda itinerary since we are more interested in the ship than the ports at this point. Could anyone who has cruised both lines let us know the pros and cons? The Breakaway looks amazing but we are specifically concerned about activities, staff, dining and general atmosphere on NCL as it compares to RCI. I know they have many "for fee" dining venues but are the "complimentary" ones nice as well? We've been on the Mariner, Explorer and Freedom of the Seas and loved each one of them! Thanks for any input!

We're in the same boat as you and will probably give Breakaway a try as New Yorkers. We've used Carnival as our change up from RCI lately but even after having a wonderful New Years cruise on their new ship (the Breeze), we're a little disappointed with the direction they're going (jamming more and more people into each successive ship). NCL's product seems to be truly innovative and much more similar to RCI than Carnival in that respect. If we like them, we'll have our new change up line!

We went on NCL for the first time this summer ... I really enjoyed it as we were able to leave from Boston (and didn't have to do a New England cruise). I love Bermuda ... We will go back. We had a "mini-suite" type room and loved the extra space. Cost less than a balcony on RCCL. We did all specialty dining ... could have been better.... but my understanding is that anytime dining has a line and I didn't want to wait. We would go on NCL again (to Bermuda). I will always love RCCL. Jan

We did the Boston to Bermuda on the NCL spirit a few years back.We really liked the entertainment. They had the second city comedians. After 5 cruises on the Explorer, I'm finding the shows to be pretty boring..I do still like the ice show. I think it has such a high rate of repeat cruisers that they don't put much effort into the other shows...singing and dancing to the music from the 50's.

I so hope they will put a new ship in Port Liberty to challenge the Breakaway market.

Marsha

There are some things I like about Norwegian and some I don't. I love their studio complex. Their entertainment is really good. They have some great parties at Spice on the Epic. There are lots of activities to keep all ages busy. It is a VERY busy cruise.

Downside I found was the food in the non-specialty areas. I wouldn't say Royal's dining room is any great shakes, either. I find waitstaff indifferent on Norwegian because you have no relationship with them with the freestyle concept. My onboard bill on a 7 day Pearl cruise was higher than my bill on an 11 day Equinox Med cruise. You do pay extra for food, because you want to try them, and the MDRs are not memorable. I also hate that shorts are welcome in every dining room except Le Bistro. Shorts, t-shirts, and ball caps on backwards are welcome all other specialty restaurants. While it doesn't 'ruin' my meal, it just takes away from the 'special' in specialty dining.;)

The music in the nightclubs also really seems to gear to 21 year olds. Other lines do tend to mix it up more, and take requests nicely. On both Norwegian cruises, music requests were not played (and I wasn't asking for anything old and boring, either - I just couldn't stand the endless rap). And that is what it was - endless rap. :rolleyes:

I would like to try the Breakaway, and do have it booked. I really encourage you to give it a shot yourself. You will never know if you like a line until you try it.

We enjoyed the food, activities, entertainment and vibe very much on the NCL Dawn. The only thing I did not enjoy was the freestyle dining with a large group, it was so hard to get tables together at typical dinner times.

I also hate that shorts are welcome in every dining room except Le Bistro. Shorts, t-shirts, and ball caps on backwards are welcome all other specialty restaurants.

I have to disagree...I've been on several NCL cruises (each on a different ship) and one person in our party tried to wear shorts to dinner and was told by the concierge that he needed to go change or he'd have to go to the buffet. They weren't allowing ball caps and tshirts at any of the 'pay' restaurants or the MDR.

I've done 3 NCL cruises and have one booked for the fall. I'm going on my first RC next month. I've enjoyed each cruise and each one is different. The food in the MDR is absolutely fine. Unless you're a real 'foodie' it'll be fine for you. People need to realize that they cook for the masses and they do a good job doing it.

You'll like the freestyle dining because you can go when it's convenient. and the entertainment was good. Some of the shows were cheesy, but we've enjoyed the comedians and the magicians.

Either way, you'll enjoy yourself if you want to. People get out a vacation what they put into it.

I also hate that shorts are welcome in every dining room except Le Bistro. Shorts, t-shirts, and ball caps on backwards are welcome all other specialty restaurants.

I have to disagree...I've been on several NCL cruises (each on a different ship) and one person in our party tried to wear shorts to dinner and was told by the concierge that he needed to go change or he'd have to go to the buffet. They weren't allowing ball caps and tshirts at any of the 'pay' restaurants or the MDR.

What I experienced was not what you experienced. And they were at our table. ;) I have pictures, too, as they were at our table.

I saw this on both the Pearl and the Epic. As I said, it didn't ruin my meal. I am one that likes to dress for dinner. So, I would be in a dress next to people in shorts.

I've enjoyed NCL cruises at least as much as the other 5 other mainstream lines I've experienced. They do seem to get trashed by many on this board. Looking forward to the innaugural on the Breakaway May 10.

I don't disagree with you. A lot of people trash Norwegian that have never tried them, or tried them 10 years ago and they were turned off. The Norwegian product of today is not the Norwegian product of 10 years ago. They have worked hard to improve. As I mentioned, I like some things and not others. I'm not a fan of Freestyle so much, as I like getting to know my wait staff, and I like formal nights - dressing for dinner is part of my enjoyment of a cruise. But that is me, and everyone is different. Enjoy your cruise! :)

We were on the Mariner for NYE. Loved the cruise! We had a GS. In March I'm going on a cruise with 10 other women aka Girls Cruise. I'm staying in a STUDIO on the NCL Epic. It's a big change but wanted to try something different. Our group is going to try a different specialty restaurant every night. We're opting for shopping instead of excursions.

Go ahead and try NCL...we have and would sail with them again, even though most of our cruises have been with RCL. We'll be trying Celebrity next January and I'm looking forward to that cruise. We've also sailed Carnival and I would never sail with them again, but other people would. Remember it's just IMO. :rolleyes:

I'd say just go for it! You're not going to know what NCL is like until you try it! We're planning on the Breakaway after the Reflection and looking forward to the change. The only thing that bugs me about this trip to Bermuda is 3 days in Kings Wharf. I hope not to get bored after the 2nd day.

Archived