Int'l. Passenger Mix & Demographics on RCI for Aus/NZ Cruises?

Just wondering what to expect w/regard to the types and percentages of International passengers that tend to book Royal Caribbean cruises out of Sydney. We don't mind a mix at all, but are just wondering what to expect. Does this vary at all by cruiseline, with certain nationalities preferring certain lines?

Thanks for any replies.

In my experience it depends on a lot of things including ship, itinerary, ship line. We were on Solstice in her first season here and a large number of the pax were American. As a number of them told us, they had wanted to come to Australia for a long time and this ship allowed them to do so without too many hassles, especially as it was a line and a ship that many knew. since then there have been more Australians. The first QM2 circumnavigation was mostly international but this was not evident on later ones - those who wanted to do the cruise had done it. There were also a lots of British on the P & O UK world cruise when there were shorter segments from Australian ports. I really enjoy being on a cruise with a low number of Australians but I know others like the opposite.

The shorter the cruise from Au the more likely it is to be almost totally Australian passengers unless it is part of a world cruise. My RCI cruises have been short ones and both were 100% AU passengers.

The shorter the cruise from Au the more likely it is to be almost totally Australian passengers unless it is part of a world cruise. My RCI cruises have been short ones and both were 100% AU passengers.

Agree with this.

Short ones are more likely locals.

The longer ones you'll get more of a mix. They won't be purely Australian.

As for origin, I can't say the other mainstream international brands have any particular bias. Of course, if you go on something like Europa, you'll get a mostly German crowd.

The mix varies.

A lot will depend on the itinerary.

For example you wont get many Americans on a 7-10 day cruise. In my experience they are usually about 80+% Aussies and Kiwis.

We recently completed a 34 day B2B cruise on the Celebrity Solstice around NZ and Australia. 2800 passengers on board. A third did the B2B. a breakdown of passengers was 50% Australian, 25% European, 25% USA and 156 kiwis. We held own don't you worry about that. Breakdown was provided by Cruise Director one evening at one of the shows.

We recently completed a 34 day B2B cruise on the Celebrity Solstice around NZ and Australia. 2800 passengers on board. A third did the B2B. a breakdown of passengers was 50% Australian, 25% European, 25% USA and 156 kiwis. We held own don't you worry about that. Breakdown was provided by Cruise Director one evening at one of the shows.

But that was a much longer cruise.

Surprised so few Kiwis on it, what's that only about 5%, and I am sure you held your own, can't let the ANZAC spirit down.

But then you also have to take into account the multicultural backgrounds of some Kiwis and Australians.

On our last cruise our dinner companions were two Australian couples who originally came from Mauritius.

But then you also have to take into account the multicultural backgrounds of some Kiwis and Australians.

On our last cruise our dinner companions were two Australian couples who originally came from Mauritius.

Yep and plenty of Aussies of Asian and European descent too, a real melting pot.

I realise this is not an Australian cruise , but just as a comparison of International passenger numbers on board , ....heres an extact from a poster on Cunards Queen Elizabeth , currently on a World Cruise..... and about to stand off Anzac Cove for a Dawn Ceremony on Anzac Day with the Poppy wall for the 100 years commemoration .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2148253&page=47

Thursday 23rd April – At Sea

I can’t remember whether or not I have posted any figures for the last leg, but here is the general breakdown of the 1907 passengers on board.

British 963

Australian 418

American 163

German 145

New Zealand 55

Canadian 43

Swiss 18

Irish 11

Japanese 11

And another 24 countries with less than 10 persons.

John

Guess none of us has a corner on those of a different or mixed heritage. Here in the U.S. there is a mix as there apparently is in Australia and New Zealand.

The cruise we are looking at depart from Australia but actually visits a number of ports in New Zealand.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Guess none of us has a corner on those of a different or mixed heritage. Here in the U.S. there is a mix as there apparently is in Australia and New Zealand.

The cruise we are looking at depart from Australia but actually visits a number of ports in New Zealand.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise and visit down Under.

Don't be surprised though, Sydney is one of the most multi cultural cities in the world.

Settled by the Brits, massive influx of other Europeans after World War II. Big influx from 'Nam during and after that war, more recently other parts of Asia have again become big contributors [having been a big influx in the Gold Rush].

Seems many countries can make that claim. In the U.S., New York City has people from EVERYWHERE. Los Angeles has many Asians and Mexicans. Sao Paulo, Brazil is super multi-ethnic. London seems inundated with those from India and the middle east. Many large Mediterranean cities are seeing more and more people from the middle east and Africa. I could go on and on with cities around the world. Immigrants come in waves when things in their own countries get tough. But it makes things more interesting!

Seems many countries can make that claim. In the U.S., New York City has people from EVERYWHERE. Los Angeles has many Asians and Mexicans. Sao Paulo, Brazil is super multi-ethnic. London seems inundated with those from India and the middle east. Many large Mediterranean cities are seeing more and more people from the middle east and Africa. I could go on and on with cities around the world. Immigrants come in waves when things in their own countries get tough. But it makes things more interesting!

No doubt about that NY seems to generally top the list, but a lot of visitors seem to be shocked at Sydney for some reason

Here is one list

http://www.daynews.com/latest-news/2013/03/top-10-culturally-diverse-cities-in-the-world-15031

.....breakdown of passengers was 50% Australian, 25% European, 25% USA and 156 kiwis.

Always wondered about the stat about >100% occupancy on-board we often see quoted - now I understand it :)

I'm sure you kiwis held you own - Kia ora

Always wondered about the stat about >100% occupancy on-board we often see quoted - now I understand it :)

I'm sure you kiwis held you own - Kia ora

I just thought it proved Kiwis can't count.

Have you ever wondered about how pedantic some people can get? Sometimes it drives you to go on a cruise.

For those who are a little more dense than others cruising down under is sreally taking off with the Australians. So much so that a number of shipping companies are now placing ships operating out of Australia all year round.

Celebrity by comparison does not and is a relatively small player especially this side of the ditch. P & O is the most popular line here followed by Princess but times are a changing. The more times we see a Celebrity ship in our ports the greater the uptake will be. 160 kiwis are more than a match for 2600 foreigners anyway. The difference are the good foreigners we meet on board

Have you ever wondered about how pedantic some people can get? Sometimes it drives you to go on a cruise.

For those who are a little more dense than others cruising down under is sreally taking off with the Australians. So much so that a number of shipping companies are now placing ships operating out of Australia all year round.

Celebrity by comparison does not and is a relatively small player especially this side of the ditch. P & O is the most popular line here followed by Princess but times are a changing. The more times we see a Celebrity ship in our ports the greater the uptake will be. 160 kiwis are more than a match for 2600 foreigners anyway. The difference are the good foreigners we meet on board

I think P&O and Princess both have 3 ships based downunder now, with Princess having 2 visitors as well next season.

And by "good foreigners" I presume you mean Aussies.

caribbean is our back yard like the So. Pacific is Aus/NZ's "back yard". In 35+ cruises, with about 30 of those being in the caribbean, attending many meet & greets and just meeting people at dinner, etc., we have met only one couple from NZ on a cruise. I think it was on Celebrity cruise from Italy to Turkey several years ago. Due to transportation costs, I can easily see why the passenger base in the caribbean isn't heavy with those from NZ or A

Since Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean and they are both mostly based out of the U.S., just getting to Australia or NZ is often more expensive than the entire cruise! So I agree that having a presence in the ports will increase a line's "local" customer base.

I think P&O and Princess both have 3 ships based downunder now, with Princess having 2 visitors as well next season.

And by "good foreigners" I presume you mean Aussies.

And the Americans and Europeans and Asians. It is quite astonishing who one gels with when "locked" together for a couple of weeks.

Everyone who ain't a kiwi speaks with an accent and only foreigners speak with accents

• 2 weeks later...