Towels?

aqcrme1

I'm not comfortable with using the towels that are provided by the cruise lines and hotels thinking that they are not hygienic. However, towels are taking a lot of space in my luggage,they don't fully dry and kinda smell bad. There are some light and quick dry alternative towels around. Any recommendations ?:confused:

They are very "hygienic"...so no worries. They are washed and dried in VERY hot dryers...no way could a germ survive that heat. White ones are bleached, too.

Bring paper towels, if you are that worried! What do you do about sheets, utensils and glasses?

We've been cruising for years and have never caught anything from the use of the ship's towels. We've never gotten sick on a cruise from anything, ever. Except for the DS. When he was younger he'd get seasick but that has nothing to do with linens. ;)

What about pillows?

How are you going to manage to keep these things clean while cruising or at hotels? :confused:

Not trying to be ugly or make light of your feelings ... but have you considered talking to a therapist about your obsessive concerns about germs?

LuLu

Hotels would have the health department breathing down their necks in towels & bedding were 'unhygienic'. My husband stays in hotels 3-4 nights a week every single week and gets sick no more often than I. Same thing with cruise ships. If people got sick from towels we would ALL have gotten sick.

The bedspread and remote control are most likely to be troublesome. Take the spread off the bed. Don't walk around barefoot.

Interesting first post....

Towels would be the last thing I would worry about on a ship with 2000 plus people. I don't even use the free laundry service, since they wash everything in extremely hot water.

But if you have a phobia about it, get some cheap ones, pack them, and use them. You can still hang them to dry in the bathroom. Then toss them when you leave if you want.

I'm not comfortable with using the towels that are provided by the cruise lines and hotels thinking that they are not hygienic. However, towels are taking a lot of space in my luggage,they don't fully dry and kinda smell bad. There are some light and quick dry alternative towels around. Any recommendations ?:confused:

You are more likely to get sick from bacteria breeding on your own not fully dry towels when you use them again. Much safer to use freshly washed and dried hotel/ship towels.

To answer your actual question, you want to look for microfiber towels. Super lightweight, super absorbent, and they dry really fast. I take one for my hair as they help cut down on frizz and don't rough up the hair cuticle like terry towels do. I made sure to get a brightly designed one, so it wouldn't get mixed up with the ship towels and disappear with they laundry. I just hung it on the hook on the back of the door after my shower and it would be completely dry in an hour or so.

I use the ship towels for everything else and have them replaced every other day or so. Like a hotel, if you leave it on the floor, they'll change it, if you hang it up, they will leave it. The problem is that there isn't enough room to stretch them out so they'll dry.

To answer your actual question, you want to look for microfiber towels. Super lightweight, super absorbent, and they dry really fast. I take one for my hair as they help cut down on frizz and don't rough up the hair cuticle like terry towels do. I made sure to get a brightly designed one, so it wouldn't get mixed up with the ship towels and disappear with they laundry. I just hung it on the hook on the back of the door after my shower and it would be completely dry in an hour or so.

I use the ship towels for everything else and have them replaced every other day or so. Like a hotel, if you leave it on the floor, they'll change it, if you hang it up, they will leave it. The problem is that there isn't enough room to stretch them out so they'll dry.

This sounds good, thank you for answering my question.

The ship will provide towels to take to the beach. Each line has their own proceedure for obtaining one.

If you lose it you can be charged up to $25, depending on the line.

You are expected to take the cruise ship beach towels off the ship at ports. Many times towels are collected as soon as you get back on the ship, so there is no way of knowing who has turned them in.

You are expected to take the cruise ship beach towels off the ship at ports. Many times towels are collected as soon as you get back on the ship, so there is no way of knowing who has turned them in.

This varies by cruise line.

If you lose it you can be charged up to $25, depending on the line.

Kind of making the person who asked the question afraid to take the towels off the ship. I've never lost one yet and you almost have to work at losing one.

There are some super light, bath sheet size Turkish towels called peshtowels. They take up very little space and dry fast. I have one and I would recommend to anyone going on a beach trip.

I looked this up! Looking at the pictures, I can tell l they really take up far less space than regular towels. They look pretty and versatile. How absorbent are they?