Loud music in ports

zaster

Just returned from the Epic, and in every port we were, Palma and Marseilles, there was loud music (reggaeton...) playing outside of the ship to welcome the passengers back to the ship and also to say good-bye at 7am :confused: Playing music is okay, but for a cruise I would have thought of something more relaxing and not this kind of music.

Me and my family felt so embarrassed of this kind of music being played. It felt like going to a cheap/all-included resort :rolleyes:

Is this the common thing nowadays? I do not remember this kind of practice in my Med-cruise three years ago with the Epic.

I am thinking so. We were on the Getaway for our first cruise last November, and they played "Happy" to welcome guests back to the ship. I thought it was great! I felt like it was a cool way to welcome us back to the ship, plus it was a peppy tune that made me want to dance! Being our first cruise I didn't know it was unusual.

Many of the cruise ports in Mexico and the Carribean do indeed play music, and sometimes provide other type of entertainment also, with both the arrival and the departure of the ship. And it is frequently loud. But, I do like it. It's happy stuff, fun. People dancing sometime as they return. And at some cruise stops, the crew of our ship, and sometimes another docked NCL ship, line up for an hour or so prior to departure, loud music is played, and the crew dances up a storm...which gets many of the returning guests pumped up also. It's all about having fun. I'm guessing Holland American may not do that......but I will probably never find out personally......

Many of the cruise ports in Mexico and the Carribean do indeed play music, and sometimes provide other type of entertainment also, with both the arrival and the departure of the ship. And it is frequently loud. But, I do like it. It's happy stuff, fun. People dancing sometime as they return. And at some cruise stops, the crew of our ship, and sometimes another docked NCL ship, line up for an hour or so prior to departure, loud music is played, and the crew dances up a storm...which gets many of the returning guests pumped up also. It's all about having fun. I'm guessing Holland American may not do that......but I will probably never find out personally......

And...here's the Pearl and the Star crews when we were leaving Cozumel last year. Happy stuff!

Just returned from the Epic, and in every port we were, Palma and Marseilles, there was loud music (reggaeton...) playing outside of the ship to welcome the passengers back to the ship and also to say good-bye at 7am :confused: Playing music is okay, but for a cruise I would have thought of something more relaxing and not this kind of music.

Me and my family felt so embarrassed of this kind of music being played. It felt like going to a cheap/all-included resort :rolleyes:

Is this the common thing nowadays? I do not remember this kind of practice in my Med-cruise three years ago with the Epic.

In Marseille there was indeed different and louder music for the aft (crew) gangway, the forward gangway had pop music and the animation crew around.

The pool deck music/band wasn't very great either, perhaps they catered to the Spanish guests?

It might be a little over the top for a European cruise. Caribbean islands expect the party atmosphere. So it's not like your bringing an invasion of over the top behavior.

If your looking for a refined experience and do not like that hoopla, then Celebrity is probably your cruise line. They also sail Europe on many of their itineraries.

I think cruise lines do this to get a good feeling and solidarity, so you enter the ship rejuvenated and ready to enjoy a night of spending your money. People spend more when they feel good. This is at least my opinion for why they do it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Edited by DreamingBig1

And...here's the Pearl and the Star crews when we were leaving Cozumel last year. Happy stuff!

They did this on my last few cruises. Not my style, but most of the folks were having a ball dancing down the line...it was fun to watch.

Carnival is worse at in in Cozumel. One day as we returned to the ship we were on, Carnival across from us was playing rap music. Eewww. It was awful and it was so loud I had to cover my ears getting on our ship. I guess someone actually complained long enough that if finally got turned down some. If i had been on that side of the ship in an outside room, I would have been beyond angry. :rolleyes:

I love the Party dancing type music, although I have to admit on the Med cruises the songs are often sung in Spanish, not as much fun as the music on the cruises out of the US.

Lol you gotta understand, most cruise lines now are going for the wild fun party atmosphere. younger adults are cruising more and more now. on my last cruise on board the epic an older couple was complaining about the nightclub noise and I saw a younger couple say to the older couple if you want peace and quiet go to a library not a cruise ship lol. I didn't say anything just kind of laughed to myself.

Of course I understand, I'm 21, went to the disco every night in the cruise but I think that it's not necessary all this staff while in port in the early morning or when you arrive after your excursion.

Just my 2cents

Of course I understand, I'm 21, went to the disco every night in the cruise but I think that it's not necessary all this staff while in port in the early morning or when you arrive after your excursion.

Just my 2cents

I'm sorry, the way you were talking I thought you were much older lol.

I'm sorry, the way you were talking I thought you were much older lol.

So did I!

OP I never remember any music playing when I took Med cruises. Perhaps this is something they've recently taken to. I see what you're trying to say, but as no one would agree on the music they want to hear when returning perhaps they will skip it in the future if enough people speak out on it.

I think it's all a part of what NCL is trying to promote, a fun yet family oriented atmosphere. Perhaps another cruise line would be more your personality. If you do take NCL again I'd suggest skipping Caribbean runs, because they play loud fun music for re-entry to the ship every sailing. I like the atmosphere it provides but might find it odd for a Mediterranean run.

So did I!

OP I never remember any music playing when I took Med cruises. Perhaps this is something they've recently taken to. I see what you're trying to say, but as no one would agree on the music they want to hear when returning perhaps they will skip it in the future if enough people speak out on it.

I think it's all a part of what NCL is trying to promote, a fun yet family oriented atmosphere. Perhaps another cruise line would be more your personality. If you do take NCL again I'd suggest skipping Caribbean runs, because they play loud fun music for re-entry to the ship every sailing. I like the atmosphere it provides but might find it odd for a Mediterranean run.

Yeah I agree, I don't think they would do that for a Mediterranean cruise though lol.

So did I!

No, I don't want to look at another cruise line. I'm fine with NCL but I just found this odd :D

Edited by zaster

I've never seem it done early in the morning. Its usually the last port day a 2-3 hours before leaving. See my link 26:45 is where it starts, not many crew and it really was not that loud. We were on the Sun next to the Epic is Coz

https://vimeo.com/120873438

Awesome video - thanks! - can I ask what you used to edit it? We had a;ll the same excursions and experiences on Jewel in 2014 and are going back on Dawn in 2016!

Awesome video - thanks! - can I ask what you used to edit it? We had a;ll the same excursions and experiences on Jewel in 2014 and are going back on Dawn in 2016!

Thanks, its a little tribute to my best friend Kevin who passed away about a month after our cruise. I just used iMovie, I had video from a few different things, a couple iPhones and a 2-3 cameras

Thanks, its a little tribute to my best friend Kevin who passed away about a month after our cruise. I just used iMovie, I had video from a few different things, a couple iPhones and a 2-3 cameras

I am sorry for your loss