Anthem Departing/Arriving Cape Liberty

For a newbie, can someone explain the embarkation process (when is the best time to arrive at the port).

Also, the ship's arrival time back at Cape Liberty is 7:00 am. What is the disembarkation process and what would be a reasonable time for a flight?

10:30 - 11:00 for embarkation, if you want to self disembark (carry off your own luggage with no assistance), it start at 7:30. Everyone needs to be off the ship by 10 am. As far a flight time, anytime after 11 am, flying out of Newark Airport (EWR) would be the best. If cruising in the winter, then a flight anytime after 12 pm would be fine.

Here's a great review of Anthem with pictures written by Lou the Glue.

You may have to copy and paste link below

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511902

Depending on the day, traffic can be horrendous.

Even if it's an hour, 11 am should be possible. That's getting off the ship at 8am...

One will be more constrained by the actual flights available- our typical flights back home are not available until after noon, regardless.

For a flight time there are many variables like day of the week, time of the year, weather, ability to self disembark with all your luggage, airport being used,etc. When exactly would you be doing this?

For a flight time there are many variables like day of the week, time of the year, weather, ability to self disembark with all your luggage, airport being used,etc. When exactly would you be doing this?

EWR. September. Thursday morning disembarkation. Self Carry

Sailed her in June. We arrived in port at 10:30. Gave our luggage to a ports and walked in, thru security.

After security. (think air travel 20 years ago) You find a person with a ipad in a turquoise sweater. They scan the documents you filled out online. Check your passports ,Retake your picture if the one you uploaded wont work (happens a lot). Stamp your papers...set sail pass and direct you to a seat. Boarding started just before 11 it could be 11:30 or 12 or even later sometimes. We sat for 5 minutes when the people who got there before us boarded before us. If you arrive at the port before it opens you have to stand outside.

After we boarded I needed to check on our dinner reservations since we did a dinning package and to make our additional reservations. So I headed over to Wonderland. My family went to Café 270 most people go to windjammer the buffet. Got our first drink with our paper set sail pass and enjoyed some lunch. My DD was dying to hit the flow rider so she changed and went that way. She had hours on it alone. Hours until I pulled her off it because I could see her feet where all red. Didn't want to start a 9 day cruise with hurt feet.

DS (13)wanted to go to the bumper cars they opened at noon and we road them over and over with basically one wait between rides until my head and neck could not take anymore. Rooms opened at 1 so I headed down while DS continued to ride the bumper car. One room card was outside our door and the others inside. All of our luggage was there so I pulled it inside the rooms.

Went to our muster stations at 3:30 I thinks don't worry you can not miss it. everything shuts down for muster. If you don't want to walk down the stairs go early because they do not allow you to ride the elevators. They let my FIL and the rest of us took the stairs from deck 13.

After Muster is sail away. We went back up slowly its a the most packed time on the ship ever, period any ship and every ship is like that after muster. We went to the Solarium to watch sail away. Found the swing. DD was upset it wasn't in café 270 like on Quantum but she was happy after she found it. They do allow kids in the Solarium for sailaway, mine where far from the only ones. We had planned to watch on the wings over the bridge but it was to cool and windy. So we watched it form the swing.

Look thru all of Lou the glue's picture review lots and lots of info. That was my sailing saw my DH in one of his pics.

We're on the Anthem for Thanksgiving, departing out of Cape Liberty on Nov 18.

Our flight from SFO arrives into EWR at 6am that morning. If we head straight to the port we'll get there 7am or so which is probably too early. Looking at the Cape Liberty website it says the waiting lounge doesn't open till 11am.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what to do?.... just head there and wave to people disembarking and wait? Are there any other lounges available at that hour?... we're RCL platinum members if that counts for anything.

Our flight from SFO arrives into EWR at 6am that morning. If we head straight to the port we'll get there 7am or so which is probably too early. Looking at the Cape Liberty website it says the waiting lounge doesn't open till 11am.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what to do?.... just head there and wave to people disembarking and wait? Are there any other lounges available at that hour?... we're RCL platinum members if that counts for anything.

Have a leisurely breakfast at the airport. Leave for the port around 10:15am.

thanks Clarea.... good idea,

another thing. We'll probably take Uber or a cab to the port. I'm assuming there is a liquor store on the way where we can stop to get a few bottles of wine for the ship.... or maybe we should get it from the duty free store in the airport?

If you do carry your own luggage off the ship in the first group, you'd be at EWR easily within an hour--including customs/immigration and traffic. 11am is safe. In very rare instances you'd be late.

We are usually in the first group of self-debark and are off the ship and through customs within 15 minutes of clearance. There is construction in the area, but things do move well.

The advice we usually give to folks arriving early on red eye flights is to dawdle at EWR as much as possible. Use the restrooms. Collect your luggage. Have some coffee and breakfast. Head off to Cape Liberty about 9 am. At Cape Liberty check as much stuff as you can so you can walk over to the 911 Memorial to take pictures.

Even if they are not yet checking folks in, there is an enclosed waiting room outside security for disembarking passengers. It can be cold in November.

Another suggestion that has been made is to go to the Broadway Diner in Bayonne for an extended breakfast.

Unfortunately your C&A status will not get you any perks at Cape Liberty. They give perks to suite guests and pinnacles, but it really doesn't matter much because the whole checkin process for everyone is so fast and seamless.

thanks Clarea.... good idea,

another thing. We'll probably take Uber or a cab to the port. I'm assuming there is a liquor store on the way where we can stop to get a few bottles of wine for the ship.... or maybe we should get it from the duty free store in the airport?

Acquiring wine between Newark Airport and Cape Liberty is a real problem. Google "wine warehouse bayonne nj". They open at 9 am on a Sat. They are in the shopping plaza the next peninsula down from Cape Liberty.

In regards to arrival times....I know you choose an arrival time when you check in online. I chose 10:30-11:00. I have read on the boards, it doesn't matter what time you choose, just show up any time.

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if the website limits how many people can choose a certain time? So in other words, could everyone choose 10:30-11:00 OR do they have a certain number of slots?

2. If you choose an early time (10:30-11:00), and someone else has a later time assigned (say 1pm), and boarding begins say at 10:30, does the person who chose the early time, get to board first or is it just first come, first serve on when you actually checked in?

Thanks....

In regards to arrival times....I know you choose an arrival time when you check in online. I chose 10:30-11:00. I have read on the boards, it doesn't matter what time you choose, just show up any time.

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if the website limits how many people can choose a certain time? So in other words, could everyone choose 10:30-11:00 OR do they have a certain number of slots?

2. If you choose an early time (10:30-11:00), and someone else has a later time assigned (say 1pm), and boarding begins say at 10:30, does the person who chose the early time, get to board first or is it just first come, first serve on when you actually checked in?

Thanks....

My experience has been that it's first come first serve. I wouldn't worry about the time that gets picked. Just stay together as a group. They are too busy trying to just process folks through the check in quickly to take time to sort folks out by check in time or C&A status. There are special arrangements for suite guests, but the rest of the folks seem to get processed quickly as they arrive.