JW Marriott Marquis $294 vs Hampton Inn $344

andver13

We're spending 2 nights in January post-cruise in Miami and trying to decide between the JW Marriott Marquis at $294 (taxes incl) per night or the Hampton Inn & Suites Brickell at $344 (taxes incl) per night. Which would you choose?

We'll have the two teenagers with us so the Hampton is good with breakfast included, not sure what we'd do if staying at the Marriott or if anything is close by?

We're spending 2 nights in January post-cruise in Miami and trying to decide between the JW Marriott Marquis at $294 (taxes incl) per night or the Hampton Inn & Suites Brickell at $344 (taxes incl) per night. Which would you choose?

We'll have the two teenagers with us so the Hampton is good with breakfast included, not sure what we'd do if staying at the Marriott or if anything is close by?

Using Priceline or Hotwire could bring your costs down.

Using Priceline or Hotwire could bring your costs down.

Sorry - I should have specified that the JW is a LMT rate. Not sure if Hotwire or Priceline would be cheaper for January but worth checking them too - thanks. The Hampton rate is direct using the hotel website as I don't see them on LMT club. Likely would be cheaper if it does appear there.

Go to hiltonfamilymvp.com and check the rates for Hampton Inn on this site. This is for Hilton Honors members and if your rate is cheaper (which always is in our experiences), you can join for free and get the cheaper rate.

I would choose the Marriott marquis as it's a much nicer hotel and full service. You can always have breakfast delivered to your room by some place if you don't feel like walking. Deli Lane or Toasted Bagelry, La Provence are a few off the top of my head that deliver and are inexpensive. Or better yet, there are so many amazing places to grab a light bite or full breakfast around here. If you are here on the weekends, brunch is huge.

Atelier Monnier is a very short walk from the Marriott and it's a great french bakery. Bon Frommage is another quick place.

You can eat at any of these places for less than the price difference between the two.

Remember that the original poster has two teenage boys so there will be four people not two people.

andver13, what dates are you looking at if I may ask.

Keith

Dates are January 10th and 11th, 2015. Thanks for the replies thus far, I haven't tried using LMT club yet, read a thread on it and it seems okay. cjskids - thanks for the suggestions on places to eat.

We may have an added complication...my eldest daughter "may" be able to join us making five of us. Unless JW can accommodate us with a paid upgrade (we are Marriott members at Silver elite) or rollaway bed, we may be forced to the Hampton or some other hotel with a suite. Or alternatively book 2 rooms I guess...but that may be too much $$.

Dates are January 10th and 11th, 2015. Thanks for the replies thus far, I haven't tried using LMT club yet, read a thread on it and it seems okay. cjskids - thanks for the suggestions on places to eat.

We may have an added complication...my eldest daughter "may" be able to join us making five of us. Unless JW can accommodate us with a paid upgrade (we are Marriott members at Silver elite) or rollaway bed, we may be forced to the Hampton or some other hotel with a suite. Or alternatively book 2 rooms I guess...but that may be too much $$.

I've used LMT club many times in booking for both myself and family and have always had great luck. Just booked a friend again for the Four Seasons here on Brickell.

You're welcome on the places to eat. There are many more, I was just trying to give suggestions on places where you could get cheaper breakfasts that would fall line in the price difference.

Hampton Inn is a great hotel, I have actually stayed there myself a few years ago. The Hilton MVP rate for your dates is actually $223 plus taxes which comes to $252.42 for the 4 of you. I do believe they only allow 4 to a room.

I checked out various hotels and I did put 5 people for Hampton Inn and it accepted it. I think it would be two queen beds and a pullout couch. I would go with that.

There are other options such as Residence Inn that are possibilities but the area where the Hampton Inn is nice and you are staying there two nights.

It is January and prices are going to be high.

Because you are talking about five I would not book through LMT but that's my views.

I would just feel safer booking through the hotel.

Keith

Yea if 5 is in the equation it makes it harder to recommend the "discount" sites. I was going to say Hotwire with 4 adults to a room is doing a $199 special. 4 star hotel with 4.5 out of 5 Tripadvisor owls. It's probably the Intercontinental which is in a really good location. Total after taxes was $239 a night.

If for sure 5, I'd definitely recommend the Hampton Inn. 5 breakfasts included plus the sofa bed makes it a better fit.

I checked out various hotels and I did put 5 people for Hampton Inn and it accepted it. I think it would be two queen beds and a pullout couch. I would go with that.

There are other options such as Residence Inn that are possibilities but the area where the Hampton Inn is nice and you are staying there two nights.

It is January and prices are going to be high.

Because you are talking about five I would not book through LMT but that's my views.

I would just feel safer booking through the hotel.

Keith

Thanks for your help Keith (and everyone else). I think you're right in that if we're going to be 5 for sure then I think Hampton is the best option unless there's something else in Miami that's comparable. My daughter won't know if she's coming with us until October when hopefully accepting a job offer after graduating as a Nurse (and asking for time off immediately for January :)).

With the Hilton MVP site for 2 Queens it's $27 (plus tax) /night cheaper than JW for 4 people. I think for that price difference I'd be inclined to go with the JW if there's only 4 of us going. There's no Hilton MVP rate on 2 queens and sofabed ($296 plus tax for $344).

Probably makes sense to book both the JW and Hampton to cover the options until October when we'll know for sure if my daughter is coming. I've seen that others haven't had issues getting a credit from the LMT club when cancelling. Being from Canada I'd just be out around $20 or so if cancelling. This would be the exchange rate difference, if any, between booking now and October when cancelling and the credit card foreign transaction service fee @ 2.5% on $500.

Checking LMT (CLUB)for those dates and putting in 4 people I am seeing Courtyard by Marriott for $131.70 a night. Also Holiday Inn for $146.88 plus taxes of course.

Only one hotel available for 5 people -$298 approx.