Any one just off the Gem?

letsgocruisin

I really don't think it is fair that they are working on the ship while we are sailing..I know they always have some things to do but to take away a restaurant that people enjoy going to is not fair..I think NCL should give the passengers something to make up for not having the Blue Lagoon while they are on the ship..They advertise this restaurant when we booked the cruise and now it won't be available..It just isn't fair..Who knows what else won't be available when we board next Saturday..Also will there be a lot of noise from the renovations? Just had to let everybody know how I feel..I will still enjoy our cruise but as you can tell I am annoyed..Thank you for listening..

Some food for thought - I can see them clearing out Cagney's auxilary room and move Moderno's there while keeping the Blue Lagoon open. Once they clear out the old Moderno space they can put in that half of O'Sheehan's while the original Blue Lagoon stays open. Once that part of O'Sheehan's is completed and open they can close the old section of Blue Lagoon and convert it into O'Sheean's.

correct. both are still there as of this morning when I left.

and I think it'll still be there till Nov 2015 when the gem goes into drydock.

they were suppose to goto Drydock in nov 2014 but for some reason it got pushed back a year. I'm curious as to why. :confused:

that's why cruises on the Gem for this month is soooooooo cheap.

(6day gem to Bahamas this sun is still being listed as $179 as of this afternoon. :eek: )

I wish I had saved a weeks vacation this year. There's a balcony cabin available for tomorrow's 6 night Bahama cruise on the Gem.

$249 each for a balcony, with $150 OBC!!!!!

That's the last minute deal of the CENTURY!!!!!

I wish I had saved a weeks vacation this year. There's a balcony cabin available for tomorrow's 6 night Bahama cruise on the Gem.

$249 each for a balcony, with $150 OBC!!!!!

That's the last minute deal of the CENTURY!!!!!

where did you get $150 obc?!

I did a mock booking on ncl.com and didn't get that.

(and my rate was $299 but I'm going solo. $50 single supplement?)

Edited by fstuff1

whoah.. they're doing it as they cruise?!

I thinking about the inconvience to passengers.

I really don't think it is fair that they are working on the ship while we are sailing..I know they always have some things to do but to take away a restaurant that people enjoy going to is not fair..I think NCL should give the passengers something to make up for not having the Blue Lagoon while they are on the ship..They advertise this restaurant when we booked the cruise and now it won't be available..It just isn't fair..Who knows what else won't be available when we board next Saturday..Also will there be a lot of noise from the renovations? Just had to let everybody know how I feel..I will still enjoy our cruise but as you can tell I am annoyed..Thank you for listening..

Who said Blue Lagoon isn't going to be open? They can keep Blue Lagoon, which is on the port side of deck 8, open while working on converting the former Moderno's space on the starboard side of deck 8.

I agree totally, no rock climbing wall for the kids, no Moderno and we're likely to have noise and confusion, if we had booked with this knowledge that would be one thing, but i bought the udp, thinking we could try all the specialties, I am disappointed, it won't ruin anything, but I think that some type of adjustment should be made. How about a discount on the udp that I paid full price for. Or even a small obc. I know they don't HAVE TO, but it would be a nice gesture. NCL still hasn't told the passengers that this is happening.

I agree totally, no rock climbing wall for the kids, no Moderno and we're likely to have noise and confusion, if we had booked with this knowledge that would be one thing, but i bought the udp, thinking we could try all the specialties, I am disappointed, it won't ruin anything, but I think that some type of adjustment should be made. How about a discount on the udp that I paid full price for. Or even a small obc. I know they don't HAVE TO, but it would be a nice gesture. NCL still hasn't told the passengers that this is happening.

Why would this warrant a discount in the UDP? Were you planning to eat in Moderno every night? No...you said you were planning to try all the specialties. There are still plenty of specialties to try. You can still eat every night in a specialty, just not Moderno.

I just got off the Gem yesterday. I loved this ship! They are building the new Moderno on the 13th floor I believe, so there shouldn't be any interruption in the use of Moderno until they move upstairs to their new digs and that should be minimal. Enjoy your cruise!

I just got off the Gem yesterday. I loved this ship! They are building the new Moderno on the 13th floor I believe, so there shouldn't be any interruption in the use of Moderno until they move upstairs to their new digs and that should be minimal. Enjoy your cruise!

13th fl?!

what are they closing to fit Moderno?

Star Bar? (I doubt Casey's.)

or are they making the spinnaker lounge smaller?

13th fl?!

what are they closing to fit Moderno?

Star Bar? (I doubt Casey's.)

or are they making the spinnaker lounge smaller?

There is a room on port side of the star bar that was closed . Maybe in there.

I just got off the Gem and for the whole 11 days I didn't see anyone use the star bar. If they don't use the whole star bar for moderno They should turn part of it into a conceige lounge

There is a room on port side of the star bar that was closed . Maybe in there.

I just got off the Gem and for the whole 11 days I didn't see anyone use the star bar. If they don't use the whole star bar for moderno They should turn part of it into a conceige lounge

Star Bar is very small...it and the adjoining Cagney's annex will be converted to a new bar (I think mojito-themed) and Moderno. I would suspect the new bar will be occupying the space formerly used by Star Bar because all the bar equipment, plumbing and wiring are already there.

On the Jewel they moved the concierge lounge out of Star Bar when they did the conversion.

Edited by njhorseman

When we took our Breakaway cruise in Sept. We were given a 3 or 4 night cruise out of Florida which we did not take.Last week we recieved a email saying we could take the six night or the seven night out of New York on the Gem.We chose the seven night on Now 15. Just had to pay taxes and gratuities. $560.00 for both of us in a Balcony cabin on deck ten

see the attached modification done to the jewel last spring

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/jewel/decks/2/13#tab_detail

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/jewel/decks/2/8#tab_detail

Both ship are identical

Just off Gem this morning. Blue Lagoon as it was, Star bar still there.

There is some new furniture in the Spinnaker Lounger. Larger white seating areas that will hold many more than the funky furniture that was in there earlier.

There are areas that look like newer carpeting, and also areas where the carpeting needs replacement. Our beds were in very good condition.

I too was disappointed that drydock was postponed.

There is some new furniture in the Spinnaker Lounger. Larger white seating areas that will hold many more than the funky furniture that was in there earlier.

There are areas that look like newer carpeting, and also areas where the carpeting needs replacement. Our beds were in very good condition.

What about Moderno? Thanks for the info.

I am going on the Gem in December and someone on my Roll Call said this "Good morning all!!! A friend who was on the two night reported that Blue Lagoon closed last night and the change to O'Sheehan's has begun."

So... I guess I am confused on what is actually going on?

I am going on the Gem in December and someone on my Roll Call said this "Good morning all!!! A friend who was on the two night reported that Blue Lagoon closed last night and the change to O'Sheehan's has begun."

So... I guess I am confused on what is actually going on?

I explained what's going on in a post I made two days ago on this thread in reply to something you and another poster said. The work is just starting. Here's what I wrote:

No...the work is being done this week without the ship going into drydock. Someone on our roll call for the Gem 12/1 cruise has spoken to Gem HD Jenny Lim who confirmed that Moderno will be moved and the former Blue Lagoon and Moderno space on deck 8 will be converted to O'Sheehan's as the ship is in use over the next two weeks or so...with Moderno expected to be open in its new location by the Nov. 22nd cruise.

Hi there

I was on the gem, last week spoke to an officer the former Blue Lagoon and Moderno space on deck 8 will be converted to O'Sheehan's as the ship is in use over the next two weeks He also confirmed that Moderno will be located on the 13th floor where the star bar was located work should be done by Nov 22

I have noticed the star bar was empty every day, only the concierge was using this location in the morning it does make sense to move Moderno in this location,as this location is underutilised,

I explained what's going on in a post I made two days ago on this thread in reply to something you and another poster said. The work is just starting. Here's what I wrote:

No...the work is being done this week without the ship going into drydock. Someone on our roll call for the Gem 12/1 cruise has spoken to Gem HD Jenny Lim who confirmed that Moderno will be moved and the former Blue Lagoon and Moderno space on deck 8 will be converted to O'Sheehan's as the ship is in use over the next two weeks or so...with Moderno expected to be open in its new location by the Nov. 22nd cruise.

I guess I should have been more clear. I remember what you wrote very well. My question is two people are saying two different things and they both just got off the ship. That's what I'm confused about. I know what they are trying to, just not when it's starting because we're getting conflicting info.

Someone posted pictures on a facebook group of the construction today. They have the area curtained off and they wrote that blue lagoon is operating at different areas around the ship. Although I'm not sure what that means. They started this morning.