Travel insurance suggestions for Senior Canadians?

I am trying to help my mother find decently priced travel insurance. She is a healthy senior living in B.C., Canada. Any suggestions? I have done the normal search and found a few but despite her only being on one medication and no significant current or prior health issues the quotes are in excess of $650. Last year it was only about $400. She is 83 but very healthy.

Thank you.

If you haven't already identified them through your original search, I would recommend BCAA for travel insurance for a BC resident, they have annual packages as well as coverage for individual trips. If you are a member, you can also get a discount on the premium.

Good luck!

Before out last cruise we made a trip to Quebec. Stopped at the AAA office for a trip tick and learned a few things.

One was that we needed a proof of insurance certificate for Canada when traveling there. Our certificate from the State of Mi was useless.

Also found that just having medical insurance does not cover injuries occurred due to a car accident. You need medical coverage on your auto policy, but because Mi has the no fault it is automatically covered.

Medicare does not provide any coverage when out of the country and many many insurance policies may not. Just because you have medical insurance, are young and healthy doesn't mean that you are covered.

Medical policies may not cover injuries for doing something that they consider a risk such as zip lines, rock climbing, wave runners, hang gliding., para sailing and etc. and that may apply to trip insurance.

Since we do many trips we took a year long policy that covers us for any trip, and it covers lost luggage, travel delays, medical, medical evacuation, concierge and etc. I think it was about $260 per year and that covers both of us.

In spite of our ignorance and for many years we were very fortunate as we never took any coverage and never had any medical problems. Have wised up and feel it is money well spent for the peace of mind.

Ask your TA if they have any recommendations, that what we did and got a better rate thru them.

happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

If you haven't already identified them through your original search, I would recommend BCAA for travel insurance for a BC resident, they have annual packages as well as coverage for individual trips. If you are a member, you can also get a discount on the premium.

Good luck!

I second that. Think BCAA can cover pre existing as well

Hello, Jackie, how are you guys? say hello to Connie when you next talk to her. Is she travelling with Kay again?

Agree with Mini Mark( my Mark) BCAA may be the way to go, but be aware, because of her age the prices you have been quoted are probably as good as you will get.

MIL ( 75) just booked a 3 week trip to the UK, the best she could get was $700 from BCAA, that included her 10% discount and a $1000 deductible ( she does take a couple of meds).

The rate for someone over 80 is probably higher than that of someone in their 70's.

The rate can often increase for the length of the trip.

The rate is definitely higher if you are in the USA over 48hr.

Good luck in your search, and please post back where you found the best rate. Aging travellers need to know ;)

Cheers, h.

Ps. My mum (88), is coming from the UK for 5 weeks and you would faint at her insurance.

Sent from the nether world using magic

Edited by middlehaitch

Good luck!

I highly recommend BCAA travel insurance. My girlfriend has worked in the Insurance business for 30 years in BC & she says nothing can touch the BCAA package especially if you have pre-existing conditions...and she doesn't even work for BCAA anymore. :o

Another BCAAer here. DH has preexisting conditions and we had a claim in Kauai last year. It was all paid except for our deductible which we expected. No problem.. We pay about $600/yr because we make weekly daytrips to the US and several longer trips/yr.

Hello, Jackie, how are you guys? say hello to Connie when you next talk to her. Is she travelling with Kay again?

Agree with Mini Mark( my Mark) BCAA may be the way to go, but be aware, because of her age the prices you have been quoted are probably as good as you will get.

MIL ( 75) just booked a 3 week trip to the UK, the best she could get was $700 from BCAA, that included her 10% discount and a $1000 deductible ( she does take a couple of meds).

The rate for someone over 80 is probably higher than that of someone in their 70's.

The rate can often increase for the length of the trip.

The rate is definitely higher if you are in the USA over 48hr.

Good luck in your search, and please post back where you found the best rate. Aging travellers need to know ;)

Cheers, h.

Ps. My mum (88), is coming from the UK for 5 weeks and you would faint at her insurance.

Sent from the nether world using magic

HELLO AGAIN!

Pete and I are taking the mothers on this trip. It seems that travel and medical insurance in the UK is somewhat similar although still less pricey than that in B.C. but it's naturally a necessity no matter what. The most reasonable rates from the UK we found for Pete's mum are from STAYSURE and Sainsbury's, of all places! Who did your mum use?

It does seem like BCAA is the front runner. The rate just is what it is.

Thank you again for all your input everyone!

• 6 months later...

Hi Wendy, we offer various plans for seniors traveling outside or within Canada. We offer plans such as Seniors Emergency Medical Insurance Plan, which is available for travelers 50-89 years of age. We also provide the Seniors Annual Emergency Medical Insurance Plan, which covers multiple trips in a year and provides many benefits. You can check out the different plans we have for seniors travel insurance at http://www.travelance.ca/products/trips/seniors/ and select which coverage suits you the best. If you need any further assistance, you can call us at 1-855-566-8555 to speak with a licensed advisor.