Pier at Coco Cay

I just saw an email from Royal discussing changes at Coco Cay including the pier. Anyone see a date when the pier will be done? One thing I will be watch for is how long the ships stay there when the pier is completed on many of the current itineraries. I've been on itineraries where the next stop was Nassau or a Sea day. I hope with the improved facilities and the cost of the new ammenities to cruisers, they will stay till at least 5 or 6pm when practical and not force us back onboard early.

I don't remember seeing when they expect the pier to be finished, but I thought I read about the possiblity of guests staying overnight on the island.

Interesting, We both know that has been an occasional topic. Someone with the drink package will probably ruin it by trying to walk to one of the adjacent islands.

Interesting, We both know that has been an occasional topic. Someone with the drink package will probably ruin it by trying to walk to one of the adjacent islands.

I've always wanted to slip away on one of the jet skis and go over to the NCL island to see if they had a better buffet.

I've always wanted to slip away on one of the jet skis and go over to the NCL island to see if they had a better buffet.

I'd ask my daughter, but she has no comparison to RCL. Someone here must know! My daughter was snorkeling in 4 foot of water over there and was suddenly in between two large manatees. That is on youtube somewhere.

Edited by BillOh

According to the RC Blog it should all be completed sometime in 2019.

Thanks.

I guess my next thought, I'll have plenty of time to consider. Coco Cay and nearby islands are very good for snorkeling (and reportedly diving ;) I wonder if they will built the pier long enough that dredging won't be required. I could see, with no knowledge of dredging procedures, it messing up the water clarity for a short while.

I just saw an email from Royal discussing changes at Coco Cay including the pier. Anyone see a date when the pier will be done? One thing I will be watch for is how long the ships stay there when the pier is completed on many of the current itineraries. I've been on itineraries where the next stop was Nassau or a Sea day. I hope with the improved facilities and the cost of the new ammenities to cruisers, they will stay till at least 5 or 6pm when practical and not force us back onboard early.

Should I assume that a pier will improve the chances of actually getting to enjoy CoCo Cay? Weather, in many cases, cancels the stop because of the tendering.

Should I assume that a pier will improve the chances of actually getting to enjoy CoCo Cay? Weather, in many cases, cancels the stop because of the tendering.

Yes, having the pier should improve the ability to stop there, but as our resident Chief Engineer has explained, this pier will not be in a protected area, so it will not solve all the problems with missing the stop.

Pier will take two years to build at a cost of $50 million. (Labadee's was $40 million). Much dredging will be done, the sediments being used to expand the island approx 20%, giving the acreage needed for the new Water Park.

Once the pier is complete be prepared for a lot more people on the Island as they will probably often have 2 ships there.

That is a good thought, I was there with Majesty and Soverign, and I thought that was crowded. (This was way back in 2007)

Yes, having the pier should improve the ability to stop there, but as our resident Chief Engineer has explained, this pier will not be in a protected area, so it will not solve all the problems with missing the stop.

Good point, we nearly missed Costa Cay for the same reason. I'm guessing given a particular day one side of the pier maybe more protected than the other and the ship will have a choice if they are the only (or first ) ship there.

Once the pier is complete be prepared for a lot more people on the Island as they will probably often have 2 ships there.

Rarely does Labadee have 2 ships there at the same time, so I would expect CocoCay to be the same.

Pier will take two years to build at a cost of $50 million. (Labadee's was $40 million). Much dredging will be done, the sediments being used to expand the island approx 20%, giving the acreage needed for the new Water Park.

clear.png?emoji-thumbsdown-933clear.png?emoji-thumbsdown-933clear.png?emoji-thumbsdown-933

We did not notice any construction going on when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Is it being built where the tenders dock now? We asked a couple of staff members and they did not know

We were there a few weeks ago and were told, as before, that the pier will be just to the right of the inlet, as you tender in. Will be back on MJ soon, and if we hear any more news on the pier, will post back here.

R&D

Aww...Bob...you don't like the Coco Cay Buffet? Hmmm...."Hello sir...you want flies with that?" ;p;p

Aww...Bob...you don't like the Coco Cay Buffet? Hmmm...."Hello sir...you want flies with that?" ;p;p

I like the Coco Cay buffet, it's not bad as these things go. Just curious about the NCL version. Guess I'll have to book an NCL cruise to find out.:)

I don't remember seeing when they expect the pier to be finished, but I thought I read about the possiblity of guests staying overnight on the island.

The link in this thread suggested an entertainment venue. Maybe they will have evening concerts. I almost went on Carnival once just to see my childhood crush Olivia Newton John.