"Stylish" water shoes?

I wear my teva sandals as water shoes. They have a back on them and are secure on my feet. I have even snorkeled in them. These are much easier to get the sand out of than my water shoes. I wear them with shorts, and I even played golf in them one day. ha

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Land's End mary jane style water shoes from my local Sear's store in silver frost -- a nice soft gray with white sole. They are very comfortable in the water and easy for water walking, aerobics, and swimming -- very light weight. What has me really happy though is that I slipped my RX orthodics in the dry water shoes and they are perfect for wearing with skirts or summer dresses. Very comfortable and very light weight. I love two different options for the same pair of shoes on a cruise (leaving in a week:D) so I can have shoes in the pool and later wear them for sightseeing. If you don't have orthodics can slip removable liners from one pair of shoes to another.

Just change back before jumping in pool.

I can't believe I'm saying this on the internet, but those Crocs are actually kind of perfect? Crap.

Don't wear Crocs if you are going to wade in shallow water- they will get sucked in, then will get carried off to sea. As I rescued one Croc that came back on the next wave, the second shoe would get carried off. :D

If you are going to use these shoes for swimming you will want a swim shoe, not a water shoe. Water shoes or sandals are meant to give you good traction going into and out of water, but are not meant for swimming. Swim shoes are more like ankle socks and are very lightweight but have enough of a sole to protect your feet on the beach or in water. You wouldn't wear them on a hike, but they will get you across hot pavement or gravel on the way to the beach. They are also cheap. Good water shoes are not.

Don't wear Crocs if you are going to wade in shallow water- they will get sucked in, then will get carried off to sea. .

Did you happen to look at the link? Wasn't a clog style croc - was a sandal with ankle straps.....

Did you happen to look at the link? Wasn't a clog style croc - was a sandal with ankle straps.....

The Isabella T-Strap is described as "easy slip on", which means it is also "easy slip out of". Very cute but not suitable for wearing in water.

If you have ever had a jellyfish tentacle wrap around your foot or gotten a slug caught between your toes, you would appreciate that it is worth it to wear a dorky looking $20 pair of swim shoes. And with all the glass and needles on the beach today, I would never go swimming without them.

If you have ever had a jellyfish tentacle wrap around your foot or gotten a slug caught between your toes, you would appreciate that it is worth it to wear a dorky looking $20 pair of swim shoes. And with all the glass and needles on the beach today, I would never go swimming without them.

But that isn't what the OP asked for. I was responding to HER query. She wasn't looking for a full service protective bootie.

I personally am not a beach person. I avoid them most of the time. And when I cannot, I wear my tevas because I can hike in them. Or I'm barefoot, because I'm ok with that.

Crocs. Some very cute ballerina type shoes. I wear mine in the water and out to dinner--jelly flats. They also have an Isabella sandal that looks cute and might work.

Okay, so I'm weird about the ocean, and I don't like the idea of stepping on sharp rocks/jellyfish/those crazy flatfish. I want to get a pair of water shoes, just to have something on my feet while I'm in the water.

BUT most water shoes are either quite ugly ("standard" water shoes) or really heavy because they're not designed to be worn while swimming (ie Keens).

So anyone found some shoes that are good to be worn in the water, but still look reasonable with a swimsuit?

I've already got a strike against me being a fat girl in a bikini (my mother can shove it =P), so I'm trying not to look ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, lol. We'll be in Bermuda so I feel like I need to at least TRY to look like a normal human.

But that isn't what the OP asked for. I was responding to HER query. She wasn't looking for a full service protective bootie.

I personally am not a beach person. I avoid them most of the time. And when I cannot, I wear my tevas because I can hike in them. Or I'm barefoot, because I'm ok with that.

Hoyaheel, you have admitted that you are not a beach person, so why are you so belligerent to someone who does understand their needs?

Swimshoes are not "full service protective booties". Google them. They are inexpensive, take up next to no room, lightweight, easy to pack, and would fit every requirement except that they do not make a fashion statement. Lifeguards wear them on both beaches and at pools. The OP could wear those cute jelly shoes until she gets into the water. She can then slip on something appropriate for swimming and no one will even see them!

I wanted shoes I can walk in and get wet for cruising this summer. I like Teva's but they are pricey and I don't think I would wear them enough after the cruise to justify the expense. My problem was solved at when I found inexpensive water sandals ($9.99) at Costco -the were from the kids' section. if you wear in the range of a 6 ladies, as I do, the kids 3 or 4 should fir you find. The only came in Black or purple -I got the purple

Edited by simplelife

I love fitkiks, they FitKicks-special-edition-lush-life_600x800.jpg?v=1461693476have them at Kohls online, I'm not sure if they have them in the store.

Do you use them for swimming much? Do they stay on well in the water or do they get loose? They are designed like typical swim shoes but people seem to be using them for everything but, according to the reviews.

I like the tropical design and would not mind getting a pair. Thanks.

Do you use them for swimming much? Do they stay on well in the water or do they get loose? They are designed like typical swim shoes but people seem to be using them for everything but, according to the reviews.

I like the tropical design and would not mind getting a pair. Thanks.

I wear Fitkicks when rowing and yesterday I jumped in the lake with them on (95 degrees out and I wanted a quick cool off). They stayed on my feet just fine. Even though the bottoms are really thin, they were thick enough to walk on the rocks at the shoreline and not bother my feet. They also dry out pretty quickly. One thing though, I did have to cut out the suede toe guard. They were a little snug up there...there is stretchy material under that, so just used a seam ripper and scissors to remove.

Lisa