Galveston Duty Free?

Even though we had our liquor listed on our customs form last year, they didn't send us to the tax table. However, it is my understanding that there is no such thing as duty free liquor in Texas.

Even though we had our liquor listed on our customs form last year, they didn't send us to the tax table. However, it is my understanding that there is no such thing as duty free liquor in Texas.

This will be my first time cruising from Galveston since 2011, We normally bring back 20-25 bottles. Typically we leave from New Orleans and they never seem to care.

Well, Texas wants their taxes on liquor. I don't know how much it is, but if you find out, you could just factor that in to see if it's worth it to bring any liquor back home. For me, the only thing I've ever brought back is Sheridan's, since we can't get that here.

Well, there it is, right above me. Must have been posting at the same time!

This will be my first time cruising from Galveston since 2011, We normally bring back 20-25 bottles. Typically we leave from New Orleans and they never seem to care.

I think you will have a limit of one gallon per person. That's about 3.7 liters per person.

Well, Texas wants their taxes on liquor. I don't know how much it is, but if you find out, you could just factor that in to see if it's worth it to bring any liquor back home. For me, the only thing I've ever brought back is Sheridan's, since we can't get that here.

Well, there it is, right above me. Must have been posting at the same time!

I've been seeing post about the tax table. I guess I should just be prepared to pay the taxes, just in case.

Folks,

Its called the Texas Shakedown(Stealing):evilsmile:

As much as I love Texas, Vote with Your pocketbook and Cruise out of a Liquor Friendly Port!!:)

Mike

mpdog42

Technically, and I'm not sure at all how it would be enforced, bringing any liquor into TX by any means is subject to the same "distributor protectionist" laws. FWIW, I've never had to pay taxes on any liquor that I have brought into TX through customs. I also use bring back more than that allowed by TABC as well.

A certain amount of liquor is duty free in Galveston just like all other ports. Now, "Duty Free" is specific to FEDERAL CUSTOMS laws. You will not be charged a duty fee at CUSTOMS counter. Texas law does impose STATE tax on all liquor. That is entirely separate from CUSTOMS. What you declare on CUSTOMS sheet has nothing to do with Texas tax. CUSTOMS doesn't enforce Texas tax law. Your stop at the Texas TABC booth (after clearing CUSTOMS) is on a voluntary basis. If the liquor is not plainly visible, they will not look twice at you. Walk on by.

I returned on June 11th and after going through customs was told to go to the TABC counter. I had a pack of cigarettes purchased in Mexico (yes, just one pack, not a carton) and a bottle of Sangsters Rum.

I paid $1.50 for the cigarettes and $3.50 for the rum, for a grand total of $5.00.

If I knew how good that rum was, I would've purchased more and had my daughter (age 23) and my mom declare some too.

Thankfully a bunch of my family members are going to Jamaica in March, so I will get them to bring me back some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I meant to add, customs told me to go to the TABC table. There was no one watching or directing people over there, so I could've just continued on my way. I follow the laws and rules, so I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I cruise out of Galveston on a regular basis.

When you clear the federal Customs area, there will typically be a person standing there, asking "do you have liquor /cigarettes" or something similar. Now, this person (typically a lady, from my experience) has never been in uniform, or had an "official" emblem, badge, or similar displayed. If you say "yes", she will direct you over to as window, where you pay your State tax.

I never respond. I just walk right past her. As far as I am concerned, she is just an anonymous person asking questions to which I have no obligation to answer. Unless /until she has a uniform or official badge or something similar clearly displayed, what I purchased or didn't purchase is none of her business.

I remember a lady asking me if I had any liquor once - I think because she saw my shopping bag. However all I had was Tortuga rum cakes - yummy. Hubby had the Sheridan and he was far ahead of me (he always acts like it's a race to get to the car on debarkation day).

Same here, Janice! He suggested we wait until 2pm to board on our next cruise. The thought of that makes me very sad. I mean, what is wrong with him? As far as debarkation, I think he just wants to beat the traffic leaving the port.

*cough cough* New Orleans *cough cough*

This! NOLA is much more passenger friendly than Galveston. On my last Galveston cruise, there were 2 tax police positioned in the terminal asking passengers as they came through whether they had any liquor to declare. And then they had a table set up to collect.

Like someone else said, just keep walking. They've asked me before if I had anything to declare and I said "no". That's all it took.

I did see one poor girl that I guess didn't know how bad it could be and made the mistake of saying Yes. We were outside the Bayport terminal in Houston having just left the building and this girl comes running up to someone she knew nearby, crying real tears, and said she needed $140 to pay the taxes. I'm guessing it was mainly cigarettes as those are way more costly to bring back than alcohol. Last cruise I saw a guy in the Fun Shops buying a couple of dozen cartons. I'd hate to think what his tax bill was. Hopefully he had an empty suitcase with him.