Sloop-JohnB

1. Thalassotherapy Pool

2. Promonade Deck

3. AT&T cell service at sea

4. Clocks in stateroom

5. Clothes line in tub

6. DVD players

7. Chocolates on pillow

1. could and should happen - for the life of me, no idea why they took these away from S class.
  2. doubtful this will happen - space is far better utilized as some sort of revenue generating venue.
  3. currently all but reflection offer a cruise ship package via AT&T
  4. not gonna happen, too many time changes happen on ships, per on and off which resets such devices when switching from self-poser to shore power
  5. could and should happen
  6. Not gonna happen, DVD players have actually been REMOVED from suites in the last couple years, by the time new ships are built, you'll be hard pressed to even be able to buy a DVD, all will be streaming and downloaded to a tablet or other device. DVD's are well on their way to following the Cassette Tape to their doom, much like the Cassette tape placed the 8-track, which replaced the Vinyl record. What I WOULD like to see happen, is a connectivity panel like many hotels now have, with multiple connections for multiple cable types that just works with the TV with no need to reprogram or unplug anything.
  7. Already restarted

Edited by cle-guy

What is AT&T ?

The acronym stands for American telephone and telegraph. It is one of the many cellular service providers in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

It's the equivalent of Rogers in Canada :) (I think they're the Canadian GSM provider.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

1. could and should happen - for the life of me, no idea why they took these away from S class.
  2. doubtful this will happen - space is far better utilized as some sort of revenue generating venue.
  3. currently all but reflection offer a cruise ship package via AT&T
  4. not gonna happen, too many time changes happen on ships, per on and off which resets such devices when switching from self-poser to shore power
  5. could and should happen
  6. Not gonna happen, DVD players have actually been REMOVED from suites in the last couple years, by the time new ships are built, you'll be hard pressed to even be able to buy a DVD, all will be streaming and downloaded to a tablet or other device. DVD's are well on their way to following the Cassette Tape to their doom, much like the Cassette tape placed the 8-track, which replaced the Vinyl record. What I WOULD like to see happen, is a connectivity panel like many hotels now have, with multiple connections for multiple cable types that just works with the TV with no need to reprogram or unplug anything.
  7. Already restarted

Curt,

First, the time zone issue is solvable, as you can buy a clock which will set itself based on where it is, but I agree, it is likely not to happen. As far as switching from shore power to self generated power, that is a NON issue, they can auto switch between power and never loose it. We have this technology on equipment at work, as well as seeing it on many smaller boats / yachts. Not high tech to not shut down power. In fact, the switch over between turbines and diesel generator all the time without turning off power.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Curt,

First, the time zone issue is solvable, as you can buy a clock which will set itself based on where it is, but I agree, it is likely not to happen. As far as switching from shore power to self generated power, that is a NON issue, they can auto switch between power and never loose it. We have this technology on equipment at work, as well as seeing it on many smaller boats / yachts. Not high tech to not shut down power. In fact, the switch over between turbines and diesel generator all the time without turning off power.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I know this issue exists, because on my sailing on Summit in the PH,I set the clock on the microwave in the butler's pantry, and it reset to blank every day. So although I have no doubt the technology EXISTS, it's clear it does not exist on the Celebrity Summit, not so sure about the rest of the fleet.

All it takes is a "flash" in time to make it an issue.

Sure clocks can set themselves, have batteries etc, these add expense to them, and make them more likely to be stolen by passengers. But also factor in that cruise ships don't always follow the time where they are, sometimes they don't change clocks going to Cozumel, they arbitrarily select days pf the week to adjust during Transatlantics.

My Marriott experience tells me that one of the things guests hate most is an improperly set alarm clock by the bed. Easiest solution, remove the clock, that complaint stops, and many don't even take notice of no clock. Sure one can say "just have the housekeeper reset it" but in reality, this just does not happen, and the issue remains.

It's rare in foreign countries to find hotels with clocks in them other than embedded in the TV or Telephone, US hotels are atypical in this regard.

I also think the likelyhood goes own over time, as more people rely on their own personal cellphone/smart phone for alarm and time functions. I now travel with my iPad and have a clock app loaded that I use as my clock, when cruising, and in hotels, even when the hotel has its own clocks.

Edited by cle-guy

I know this issue exists, because on my sailing on Summit in the PH,I set the clock on the microwave in the butler's pantry, and it reset to blank every day. So although I have no doubt the technology EXISTS, it's clear it does not exist on the Celebrity Summit, not so sure about the rest of the fleet.

All it takes is a "flash" in time to make it an issue.

Sure clocks can set themselves, have batteries etc, these add expense to them, and make them more likely to be stolen by passengers. But also factor in that cruise ships don't always follow the time where they are, sometimes they don't change clocks going to Cozumel, they arbitrarily select days pf the week to adjust during Transatlantics.

My Marriott experience tells me that one of the things guests hate most is an improperly set alarm clock by the bed. Easiest solution, remove the clock, that complaint stops, and many don't even take notice of no clock. Sure one can say "just have the housekeeper reset it" but in reality, this just does not happen, and the issue remains.

It's rare in foreign countries to find hotels with clocks in them other than embedded in the TV or Telephone, US hotels are atypical in this regard.

I also think the likelyhood goes own over time, as more people rely on their own personal cellphone/smart phone for alarm and time functions. I now travel with my iPad and have a clock app loaded that I use as my clock, when cruising, and in hotels, even when the hotel has its own clocks.

The blinking alarm clock daily was likely not related to power switch over of the entire ship, first, the ships RARELY use shorepower as few ports can provide enough. Second, can you imagine someone on an elevator and all of a sudden there is no power? It is likely more a surge issue, or an issue with the nuker itself. Either way, I don't disagree about the clocks, it's not going to happen, UNLESS they find a way to build them into the room and can be changed remotely/all at once. Maybe a channel on the TV or something.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The blinking alarm clock daily was likely not related to power switch over of the entire ship, first, the ships RARELY use shorepower as few ports can provide enough. Second, can you imagine someone on an elevator and all of a sudden there is no power? It is likely more a surge issue, or an issue with the nuker itself. Either way, I don't disagree about the clocks, it's not going to happen, UNLESS they find a way to build them into the room and can be changed remotely/all at once. Maybe a channel on the TV or something.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The idea of having an individual clock built into each state room and all of them on the same time and being updated by the ship at one time is the most ideal situation.... and this technology does exist and can be used.

The idea of having an individual clock built into each state room and all of them on the same time and being updated by the ship at one time is the most ideal situation.... and this technology does exist and can be used.
Additionally it should cancel all alarms when the previous occupant checks out so the next occupant who checks in is not awakened by a preset alarm going off in the middle of the night! :eek:

I think those little kids who push all the buttons on the elevators are the same ones who set the alarms for the middle of the night on the clock in the room before their family leaves. :D

Additionally it should cancel all alarms when the previous occupant checks out so the next occupant who checks in is not awakened by a preset alarm going off in the middle of the night! :eek:

I think those little kids who push all the buttons on the elevators are the same ones who set the alarms for the middle of the night on the clock in the room before their family leaves. :D

As I envision it, this clock would only be used to display time and not to set any alarms. If you want an alarm clock you can either bring a small portable one for yourself, use your mobile phone to set an alarm, or possibly even order a wake up call.

Oh come on!!!! :rolleyes:

Airbalancer is from Canada. We don't have AT&T here. Nor would people from other countries know what it is. It was a valid question.

No need for all those exclamation marks.

Remember these boards are shared by people from all over the world.

Airbalancer is from Canada. We don't have AT&T here. Nor would people from other countries know what it is. It was a valid question.

No need for all those exclamation marks.

Remember these boards are shared by people from all over the world.

I'm from the US, but I've heard of Bell and Rogers.

not gonna happen, too many time changes happen on ships, per on and off which resets such devices when switching from self-poser to shore power

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a clock in the telephone (on M class)

Who provides cell/ wi-fi on Reflection?

Is the internet better on Reflection- I hope so, as we will be on her in Oct.'15.

currently all but reflection offer a cruise ship package via AT&T
Edited by upwarduk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a clock in the telephone (on M class)
Yes, on Celebrity ships the current time is displayed on the telephone in the cabin and you can set wakeup calls on the telephone, for whatever times you want them.

I also like to set reminder calls for myself before shipboard events I plan to attend so I don't get sidetracked on the internet or reading a book or working a puzzle and forget about them.

One of the TV channels also displays the current time and date.

You can just leave your TV turned on to that channel if you want a clock displayed in your cabin. That one is more easily visible than the clock on the phone. But AFAIK you can't set wake-up calls on the TV clock the way you can on the phone.

On both telephone and TV, the time displayed is the current ship time, regardless of which time zone the ship happens to be traveling through.

It is very nice that there is no concern about needing to reset either clock as time changes are done for you automatically.

A big advantage of using the ship's telephone wake-up call is that even if you forget about a time zone change, the telephone will awaken you the next morning at the correct ship time so you won't miss your breakfast or activity, even if your own personal cell phone or clock is out of sync with ship time.

Edited by fleckle