Stupid TSA Question re: Lipstick

noblepa

We're sailing on the Zuiderdam on Monday and we're flying to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow, so we're in the midst of last-minute packing.

DW asked a question I couldn't answer. Does lipstick/lipgloss count as a liquid in the eyes of the TSA? Must it be in a baggy? Or, can she carry it in her purse.

I checked the TSA website, but it is a bit vague, at least to me. It just says that "Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag".

Is lipstick considered a cream? Any women out there who have successfully gotten lipstick through in their purses? Anyone had it confiscated?

We're sailing on the Zuiderdam on Monday and we're flying to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow, so we're in the midst of last-minute packing.

DW asked a question I couldn't answer. Does lipstick/lipgloss count as a liquid in the eyes of the TSA? Must it be in a baggy? Or, can she carry it in her purse.

I checked the TSA website, but it is a bit vague, at least to me. It just says that "Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag".

Is lipstick considered a cream? Any women out there who have successfully gotten lipstick through in their purses? Anyone had it confiscated?

Anything that cannot retain its shape when removed from its container is considered a "liquid" by TSA. That's what has to go in the 3-1-1 bag. I carry my chapstick (same principle) in my purse.

Just leave it in her makeup back in her purse. Lipstick is not considered a cream, gel or liquid, nor is lip gloss.

Yep, no problem. In fact, this summer I bought my 14 year old boy scout grandson a type of knife in Alaska. It was like a Swiss army knife, small. It was built into a shotgun shell. I TOTALLY forgot it was in my purse! Sailed through TSA, I'm assuming they thought it was a tube of lipstick. Kind of scary it got through though.

Baggy it to be safe.

Is that where you put yours:D;):p. But really, it fine not in the bag. I thought lipgloss was a liquid but I forgot I had some in my purse one time and it wasn't a problem.

I'm still laughing about you asking if victorianne's daughter is a mosquito:D.

I have carried a tube of lipstick in my purse for every flight, domestic and international, without giving it a thought. And it has never caused a delay, search etc. Unless the policy has changed or varies by airport, lipstick, deodorant and other SOLIDS are allowed on the plane. And that's what I have always found.

Is that where you put yours:D;):p. But really, it fine not in the bag. I thought lipgloss was a liquid but I forgot I had some in my purse one time and it wasn't a problem.

I'm still laughing about you asking if victorianne's daughter is a mosquito:D.

No silly, it's checked in my Disney Princess cosmetic case.

ts-57wp.JPG

Seriously though, DW has had lipsticks flagged and I've had to give up a more than a few Chap Sticks. That's why we use the one quart plastic bags.

No silly, it's checked in my Disney Princess cosmetic case.

ts-57wp.JPG

Seriously though, DW has had lipsticks flagged and I've had to give up a more than a few Chap Sticks. That's why we use the one quart plastic bags.

Fancy! Sounds like they were being over zealous.

TSA does consider chapstick a gel. Since they've adopted the 3 oz. rule, it really doesn't matter. 0.15 oz.

I remember reading at one time that lipstick was considered a gel, but personally I have always carried one in my purse and never been "caught". I have found the TSA to be very inconsistent in their application of the posted rules, so, when in doubt, bag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Flying out of Brisbane Australia this past April I was told everything, including lipstick, had to go into a clear bag for passing through security. This was a first for me as I wear little make up and what I had was in my make up bag. I was not prepared to dump it out but I had to.

Here's a link to the TSA page:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

About half way down you should see the search bar. It says "When I fly can I bring my". Type in your item and it will tell you appropriate packing. Good luck to and have fun! I like to search word things just to see what it will say :-)

ImageUploadedByForums1414202856.291373.jpg.7ff4663b7f50c8cc3e9ef60648c6dc29.jpg

Edited by Cruiser Andi

Here's a link to the TSA page:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

About half way down you should see the search bar. It says "When I fly can I bring my". Type in your item and it will tell you appropriate packing. Good luck to and have fun! I like to search word things just to see what it will say :-)

[ATTACH]328950[/ATTACH]

Too funny. I tried it but it really didn't help with the lipstick. No wonder people are getting stuff confiscated. Thx for the link just the same.

Too funny. I tried it but it really didn't help with the lipstick. No wonder people are getting stuff confiscated. Thx for the link just the same.

That's what I found, also. It just says it can be packed in your carry-on bag or your checked bag. No specifics as to whether it needs to be in the 3-1-1 bag.