Air Canada or Air Transat?

phabric

I am looking at May 28-June 11, 2017, YYZ - CDG, BCN-YYZ on direct/ not stop flights.

Air Transat have they flights out.

Air Canada are slowly releasing their flights.

Looking at Air Transat their Club seats on 310-300 and 330-200. Air Canada their Premium Economy seats on 77W.

Any preference over the two?

Air Canada doesn't release their schedule till 355 days out, so I wouldn't start looking till mid to late June.

Personally, I'd go with Air Canada. But a lot of that is predicated upon the fact that I hate charter airlines. The PY section in the 773 should be nice - they are actually the process of retrofitting them into the entire 777 fleet. While it won't be as good as being in the J cabin, it should be more than acceptable for the flight to CDG. And significantly better than what the people behind you will be experiencing.

Also, the PY seats are slightly larger than the club seats on Transat, plus you'll have an extra ~10 cm of pitch.

And with all that being said, you return segment, BCN-YYZ will be on Air Canada Rouge with their 763. But since you're flying PY it should be okay. I'm personally not a fan of rouge and would (if left to my own devices) would take a connecting flight to avoid. But with that being said, this summer I'll be flying DUB-YYZ (PY) on them because my partner didn't want to connect. And as an aside, I have a recording of her saying "It can't be that bad" that i'll be playing for her when she starts complaining about her butt hurting.

lol

I love AC. That makes me unusual I know. However I'm a great fan of AT and their club class. I fly AT a lot because they offer direct flights to airports in th uk I would have to go though LHR on AC. I have flown them to the UK this year and will fly into the UK and out of DUB in August. The prices are always reasonable too and in years of flying I have only had one bad flight. This is for personal flying I normally fly around 22 segments a year on various airlines with my job., no choice of airline then,I'm not a huge fan of Rouge. Ive had one, not bad flight and 2 terrible flights to and from Europe on them. Just a personal perspective

Terry

Edited by boone2

We like them both. Within the past 9 months have done A/C return to Tokyo and AT to Athens and home from Paris. Plus some short hops on AC.

We are tending more to AT because of the one way, open jaw, and multi flight pricing.

We actually prefer paying for an exit row seat on AT than a club seat. Plenty of leg room.

• 5 months later...

I just discovered AT, living just over the border and considering flying out of YYZ to BCN.

Looking at Club Class and wonder if anyone can give me any add'l information. I've seen the picture and it looks like First Class in a U.S. domestic airplane.

If possible, going transatlantic, we try and frequent flyer business class but doesn't look like it will work for us this time.

Is AT club class a decent option? I can see by the picture that the seats don't recline as much as BC and there is no footrest.

Any other differences I need to be aware of?

The BIG advantage is non-stop flights

The club seats on AT are nice but they are not the same as what you would find in business class on AC.

They are much narrower. Actually, not much wider than economy seats. We sometimes pay to upgrade our seats on AT but we do not select the club seats. Our preference is for one of the exit row seats where you can really stretch out your legs.

We are finding ourselves using AT more and more. Fly with them later this week. Never had an issue on probably 10 plus international flights. After years of business and pleasure travel we are also AC fans.

ts. Our preference is for one of the exit row seats where you can really stretch out your legs.

We are finding ourselves using AT more and more. Fly with them later this week. Never had an issue on probably 10 plus international flights. After years of business and pleasure travel we are also AC fans.

Unfortunately, exit row seats are not an option for us. On US domestic flights, we opt for the economy + which give us some extra leg room. Looked like the Club Class would be a bit nicer. Just want to make sure it is worth the extra money.

We have flown AT club class 3 times to and return Europe. OP mentioned the choice between Club Class and AC premium economy..... no contest. 12 seats in club class. Individual seats- you are not touching any part of the passenger next to you ;). One, often 2 flight attendants for 12 seats. During day return flights from Europe you simply could not eat or drink all the food/beverages available to you. One bathroom for 12 passengers (and the flight crew). Blanket, slippers, toothpaste, etc in a nice travel pack for each passenger. AT does not overbook - AC does. Go Club Class. You won't look back.

We have flown AT club class 3 times to and return Europe. OP mentioned the choice between Club Class and AC premium economy..... no contest. 12 seats in club class. Individual seats- you are not touching any part of the passenger next to you ;). One, often 2 flight attendants for 12 seats. During day return flights from Europe you simply could not eat or drink all the food/beverages available to you. One bathroom for 12 passengers (and the flight crew). Blanket, slippers, toothpaste, etc in a nice travel pack for each passenger. AT does not overbook - AC does. Go Club Class. You won't look back.

Sounds good :D

When I mentioned exit row on AT the exit row seats we have had are nothing like scheduled airlines. They have been seats with nothing in front for about four feet. Not just a wide aisle. The entire exit door is in an open area along with about a foot on either side. You have undo your seat belt in order to even tough the divide in front of you.

I am looking at May 28-June 11, 2017, YYZ - CDG, BCN-YYZ on direct/ not stop flights.

Air Transat have they flights out.

Air Canada are slowly releasing their flights.

Looking at Air Transat their Club seats on 310-300 and 330-200. Air Canada their Premium Economy seats on 77W.

Any preference over the two?

I decided to book Air Transat Club. I have had Club to London before. I found it was worth the extra costs for a long flight, with seats and service.

When I booked I had YYZ-CDG, they have changed the flight to YYZ-YUL, YUL-CDG. I am now leaving YUL the same time I would have left direct from YYZ with the YYZ-YUL flight leaves 3 hours before. I guess there are not enough passengers from YYZ to CGD to have a direct flight.

The flight YYZ-YUL is not club seats so they have a tray in the middle seat.

I decided to book Air Transat Club. I have had Club to London before. I found it was worth the extra costs for a long flight, with seats and service.

When I booked I had YYZ-CDG, they have changed the flight to YYZ-YUL, YUL-CDG. I am now leaving YUL the same time I would have left direct from YYZ with the YYZ-YUL flight leaves 3 hours before. I guess there are not enough passengers from YYZ to CGD to have a direct flight.

The flight YYZ-YUL is not club seats so they have a tray in the middle seat.

Interesting. We are looking at BCN for next fall. Having the non-stop is very tempting but good to know what happened to you. Then, of course, we don't have what we originally planned for. :(

I always buy my air early so there is a chance the airlines will change times. If, I bought my air now, I would never had known that there was no direct flight to Paris and the price has gone up $50 since.

My return BCN-YYZ is still a direct flight.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did our fourth Transat flight over the past 12 months. No issues. All flights on time, the last one arrived 30 minutes early. We were able to get the seats we wanted with no upcharge.

Much better service than our Aug Westjet flights to Ireland- more legroom. I would say that the Transat flights were better than our recent AC flights as well. Only comparing economy with economy class.

Plus...although we only do carry on, Transat does not charge for the first bag.

While we fly AC quite a lot, their Rouge service leaves a lot to be desired. And I'm talking about being on a 5 hr. flight, never mind a longer flight to Europe. We have always been pleased with AC and fly it regularly out to San Fran where our littles are. Only once have we had the Rouge service and it was extremely limited. No movies, no map, very little food service. We have also flown AT across to BCN and Gatwick and think their service is very good. We found the seats as comfortable as could be for a long haul flight (we flew regular economy) and their attention to detail was good. We would not choose Rouge for a long haul flight.

It has been a hard decision on how to go.

With AT we would have to drive to Toronto and go through Canadian security.

Plus add to that a night before and a night after near the airport.

So for about the same amount of money (through Princess EZAir) I can get us from our home airport, through Toronto, then non-stop to our destination in Premium Rouge.

Based on what I've read, Premium Rouge does sound like a good product. It sounds and looks on the website close to first class on U.S. domestic airlines.

Does anyone have an experience in Premium Rouge?

It has been a hard decision on how to go.

With AT we would have to drive to Toronto and go through Canadian security.

Plus add to that a night before and a night after near the airport.

So for about the same amount of money (through Princess EZAir) I can get us from our home airport, through Toronto, then non-stop to our destination in Premium Rouge.

Based on what I've read, Premium Rouge does sound like a good product. It sounds and looks on the website close to first class on U.S. domestic airlines.

Does anyone have an experience in Premium Rouge?

Premium Rouge is an OK product. Not at all like Air Canada first class, but I don't know how it compares to US airlines' first class. If you are going through Toronto, you will still need to go through Canadian customs and immigration before flying out again.

Premium Rouge is an OK product. Not at all like Air Canada first class, but I don't know how it compares to US airlines' first class. If you are going through Toronto, you will still need to go through Canadian customs and immigration before flying out again.

If you are flying in from the US and connecting in Toronto (Terminal 1) to Europe, Asia or South America you do not go through regular Canadian customers.

There is a separate are for connecting customers. They do an ID check against your passport and then let you into the international concourse. Bags are automatically transferred.