using us$ in ports in Canada?

Doing a New England/Canadian cruise... wondering if we need to take Canadian dollars for a few shore expenses or can we use US$?

We don't buy a lot in port, maybe some wine, water, postcards ... don't use ATMs, so we either do cash or charge items.

Most merchants in eastern Canadian ports are likely to accept US$ cash. However, they will very likely give you a poor exchange rate, and most often any change returned to you will be in Cdn $.

Any merchant that accepts credit cards will be happy to accept a U.S.$ credit card. The exchange rate will be determined by your bank, often with an additional foreign exchange fee applied.

John

Last year we used US dollars and received Canadian monies, as change. They always warned us before hand and helped, we didn't spend a $20 on 3.00 worth of goods and have all that Canadian monies. By the end we wanted to make certain we had Every denomination( within reason,lol) they were very helpful figuring out what we lacked.

Canada uses chip and pin technology for credit cards now, but as far as I know the functionality is still available to swipe and sign. It might be worth inquiring with your bank to set up a pin if your card has the capability (silver/gold chip in the card - google "chip credit card" and you'll see images of what I'm talking about).

Last year we used US dollars and received Canadian monies, as change. They always warned us before hand and helped, we didn't spend a $20 on 3.00 worth of goods and have all that Canadian monies. By the end we wanted to make certain we had Every denomination( within reason,lol) they were very helpful figuring out what we lacked.

Good point - bring alot of small US bills if you are not planning on exchanging for Canadian Dollars ahead of time.

You are fortunate they take USD

when we are in TX they will not take CAD at any exchange rate ;)

Most merchants in eastern Canadian ports are likely to accept US$ cash. However, they will very likely give you a poor exchange rate, and most often any change returned to you will be in Cdn $.

Any merchant that accepts credit cards will be happy to accept a U.S.$ credit card. The exchange rate will be determined by your bank, often with an additional foreign exchange fee applied.

John

I have several credit cards that do not have a foreign exchange fee. If your credit is good, you may want to explore this-- both are also excellent travel reward cards: chase sapphire and Barclaycard arrival +.

I have several credit cards that do not have a foreign exchange fee. If your credit is good, you may want to explore this-- both are also excellent travel reward cards: chase sapphire and Barclaycard arrival +.

I find that surprising they they do not have a exchange fee or are you confusing it with a Foreign TRANSACTION fee?

My position is that when I travel to your country, I use your currency, so when travelling to MY country, I expect you to show me the same courtesy. I understand not wanting to carry multiple currencies, but you chose to visit Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The look you get when you go into your local bank and say "I'd like to buy some loonies" - priceless. :). Actually, the AAA office should have Canadian currency in 'TipPaks' containing USD100 of Canadian currency if you just need a little. I don't know what exchange rate they use.

Edited by CantanaLobo

You are fortunate they take USD

when we are in TX they will not take CAD at any exchange rate ;)

And try to give any US merchant any Canadian change and they look at you like you're trying to pass Monopoly money and ask "What is this?!?". In Canada, our merchants accept US change (at par). I go through my change and pick out the US change just so I can use it in my travels.

One other thing to note about cash purchases in Canada, really more of a reminder since it happened a couple of years ago, is that we no longer make the penny so all cash transactions are rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cent amount.

My position is that when I travel to your country, I use your currency, so when travelling to MY country, I expect you to show me the same courtesy. I understand not wanting to carry multiple currencies, but you chose to visit Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. When I travelled to the Baltic a couple of years ago, I took small amounts of 7 different currencies.

As someone born and raised in Canada (Vancouver) but now a US citizen living in California, I wish this subject would be put to rest....

Growing up in B.C. I was quite used to having visitors use their U.S. currency while visiting us. On the other hand, we Canadians repaid their visits by going down below the border, and our purchases were accepted by Seattle merchants with C$ - and often at par.

Since then, the two currencies have no longer been equal to each other, and merchants had to accept a loss, or maybe calculate the difference and end up in an argument.

Travelling to foreign places has become more commonplace, and most of us have become used to buying pounds, euros or dinars before leaving. Yet, I often read in these forums from folks who don't want to be bother with currency exchanges, and expect their home currency to be readily accepted no matter where they go....:rolleyes:

Edited by Rickey 88

As someone born and raised in Canada (Vancouver) but now a US citizen living in California, I wish this subject would be put to rest....

Growing up in B.C. I was quite used to having visitors use their U.S. currency while visiting us. On the other hand, we Canadians repaid their visits by going down below the border, and our purchases were accepted by Seattle merchants with C$ - and often at par.

Since then, the two currencies have no longer been equal to each other, and merchants had to accept a loss, or maybe calculate the difference and end up in an argument.

Travelling to foreign places has become more commonplace, and most of us have become used to buying pounds, euros or dinars before leaving. Yet, I often read in these forums from folks who don't want to be bother with currency exchanges, and expect their home currency to be readily accepted no matter where they go....:rolleyes:

I grew up in Detroit, right across the river from Windsor, Canada. Monies exchanged easily (for the most part) and as long as they were near par, no big deal.

Now with the significant difference, its more of an issue on both sides. Personally, I am OK with paying par for my US$, as I understand that the merchant has to cover his time in reconverting the money later. I do not want to end up with alot of Canadian dollars at the end of my trip however, as they are impossible to use here in Oklahoma. so, the convenience of paying a bit more is worth it to me.

I think some folks are making too big of a deal about this issue, as its really part of doing business in border towns anywhere. If you do not want to get a bad exchange rate, buy the local currency before you leave home. Otherwise, be prepared to pay for the luxury of having someone else do it for you at the time of purchase.

I grew up in Detroit, right across the river from Windsor, Canada. Monies exchanged easily (for the most part) and as long as they were near par, no big deal.

Now with the significant difference, its more of an issue on both sides. Personally, I am OK with paying par for my US$, as I understand that the merchant has to cover his time in reconverting the money later. I do not want to end up with alot of Canadian dollars at the end of my trip however, as they are impossible to use here in Oklahoma. so, the convenience of paying a bit more is worth it to me.

I think some folks are making too big of a deal about this issue, as its really part of doing business in border towns anywhere. If you do not want to get a bad exchange rate, buy the local currency before you leave home. Otherwise, be prepared to pay for the luxury of having someone else do it for you at the time of purchase.

I think it is more a matter of respect. I don't mean to be rude (after all I am Canadian), but is it so much trouble to go a bank and request a few hundred Canadian dollars - and those same banks will accept the Cdn. money you bring back, so you aren't "saddle" with a bunch of Monopoly money. The "oh it's only Canada, they'll be happy to have US dollars" attitude no longer really exists here. We're friendly and welcoming, but we are not your 51st State. I would never attempt to use Canadian money in the USA....can you not return the courtesy?

• 4 weeks later...
I think it is more a matter of respect. I don't mean to be rude (after all I am Canadian), but is it so much trouble to go a bank and request a few hundred Canadian dollars - and those same banks will accept the Cdn. money you bring back, so you aren't "saddle" with a bunch of Monopoly money. The "oh it's only Canada, they'll be happy to have US dollars" attitude no longer really exists here. We're friendly and welcoming, but we are not your 51st State. I would never attempt to use Canadian money in the USA....can you not return the courtesy?

If we were going to Canada and spending a few days or more, in a hotel, which we have done before, I would buy some Canadian money before we left the USA. But when I am simply visiting on day trips off the ship, buying mostly postcards, don't see how using dollars is disrespectful, if the merchant is willing. I have traveled many places where merchants who deal with travelers were and are more than willing to take difference currencies.

In fact, on a recent transatlantic, we found ourself with limited euros and British lbs.. at Heathrow airport, on our way home, we wanted to buy something to eat, found the merchants were very happy to accept payment using the remaining euros/lbs, we had plus US$.

On a recent trip to NE Canada I decided not to bother with converting my US$ and it worked out fine.

Using a credit card with no exchange fees was great - got a good conversion rate and was easy to use.

On the other hand, there were a few examples of not getting a decent deal. In one port the hop-on, hop-off buses was $20 pp, same price in Canadian or US funds and cash only. Paying in US$ cost us about $7 more (for two). Not a big deal and IMO not worth the bother of converting and having left over Canadian money (try spending in Oklahoma!).

We did not use public transit at all, which if you plan on doing so would be a good reason to convert some US$, as often they only accept Canadian.

This topic seems to come up a half dozen times a year and the answer is always the same. The USD is accepted in most if not all Canadian port cities and cities close to the border. However, it is highly unlikely you are going to get the current exchange rate on the USD. I can certainly speak for Vancouver and Victoria where the USD is accepted by virtually all merchants and service providers including taxis, government liquor stores and even the Canadian Post office, about the only service that will not accept the USD is the public transit system. So the bottom line is if you are only going to be in a Canadian port for a few hours or a day then it may not be worth the time and effort to get money exchanged, the USD will work, just don't expect the full exchange rate.

Has anyone used the cash card from Travelex? You can currently load multiple types of currency on a single card, and it's reload able. One of the options is Canadian Dollars. We will be doing a 14 day cruise in September and I'm considering using this instead of paper currency. It is Visa/MC based with a chip. We used Travelex before to purchase Euros for our transatlantic cruise several years ago, but this sounds a lot easier. You can just swipe and go. :)

Linda