Hosreshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay

mythreesons5

Can you walk from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay? If yes approx. how long of a walk is it? We visited Horseshoe Bay the last time we cruised to Bermuda and would like to go to Warwick Long Bay when we return this August, but thought maybe we could walk to Horseshoe when we are done at Warwick to use the changing facilities etc. so maybe we could go to Swizzle Inn after the beach. Any thoughts?

Yes, you can walk from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay, but not easily along the beach on the entire route as there are areas where rock formations prevent it. There is a walking path in the park that's above beach level.

I think the walk is about one mile.

• 1 month later...

This is the information I have.

4 star beach Warwick Long Bay. South Shore, off South Road, approached from the west end of the beach. Bus route 7. Public. Superb. Personal No 1 favorite among many Bermudians both on it's own merits and because they usually escape here the mass influx of cruise ship visitors who instead flock to Horseshoe Bay beach further west. One of Bermuda's longest, a half mile of pink sand and gorgeous sea and land views. Beach has numerous little coves and rocks. Great snorkeling. Bathrooms (toilets). Fabulous picnic area.

You can walk it and we did in 2012 although we went from Horseshoe all the way to Warwick and all the way to the Swizzle Inn. I would concur that the beach is about a mile long walk. You do have to walk over the rock formations or use the walking path as njhorseman said. We walked the beach. Although challenging at times, it was a lot of fun walking over the rocks.

thanks for all the great info! JUSTCAKE - can you tell me how long the walk is from Warwick to Swizzle Inn? My original though was to spend the afternoon at Warwick, walk to Horseshoe to use facilities to freshen up and then take bus to Swizzle. Maybe we will just walk to Swizzle.

We did it in early June. Our plan was got to Warwick and walk to Horseshoe. That's what we did, but when we saw how mobbed Hoeseshoe was we turned around and hiked back to beautiful deserted Warwick. There are no changing facilities at Warwick, and bathrooms are primitive. There is a little shed with 2-3 composting style toilets. I don't believe there was hand washing ability. They were not super clean, in fact DH didn't want to change in them, and we were desperate to change.

The walk is about a mile, sand, rocks, etc. great view though. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with mobility issues and kids may need to go slowly if it is hot out.

At Warwick there was also a little trailer selling drinks and snacks.

For the record, it was the most beautiful beach and water I have ever experienced. And I have beached from Maine down to St Maarten!

Thanks so much. :)

Just one caution. They will sometimes limit the number of cruise passengers boarding the regular #7 bus at Dockyard to leave room for Bermudians who need to use it for their transportation to work, school, etc. so you may have to wait in order to get on the bus. Since the majority of people want to go to Horseshoe Bay, they can take the express "Special".

Just one caution. They will sometimes limit the number of cruise passengers boarding the regular #7 bus at Dockyard to leave room for Bermudians who need to use it for their transportation to work, school, etc. so you may have to wait in order to get on the bus. Since the majority of people want to go to Horseshoe Bay, they can take the express "Special".

Great information. Looking to do something different this time. :) I assume the 'special bus" does only Horseshoe?

Edited by janetz

Best bet is to walk to horseshoe for showers .

There are way more special busses back to the ship than #7s and you may catch a #7 there too to Swizzle Inn .:D

I did take a Special to Horseshoe and then got a transfer from the driver for the next #7 to Warwick for just 1 token.

Edited by biker@sea

We walked from Horseshoe bay to Warwick long bay and back using the paths/trails. We stopped at each of the coves/beaches that we could along the way. I would say that its probably a 20 min walk not counting stopping to get from Horseshoe bay to Warwick. Some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, just amazingly beautiful. I think there was a youtube video of the walk at one point. I would highly recommend this - one of the best things we ever did.

thanks for all the great info! JUSTCAKE - can you tell me how long the walk is from Warwick to Swizzle Inn? My original though was to spend the afternoon at Warwick, walk to Horseshoe to use facilities to freshen up and then take bus to Swizzle. Maybe we will just walk to Swizzle.

I would say the walk was about 30 minutes but I have to say that it was in early August and about 95 degrees outside so it felt like it took over an hour! I love the heat so I didn't mind too much but since we had never done the walk before I was concerned that maybe we weren't going to find the Swizzle. Now that I know exactly where it is and how far it is we will definitely walk it again. If you stay on the road right off the beach (South Shore) you will run into it. Once on the road the walk was very easy.

I would say the walk was about 30 minutes but I have to say that it was in early August and about 95 degrees outside so it felt like it took over an hour! I love the heat so I didn't mind too much but since we had never done the walk before I was concerned that maybe we weren't going to find the Swizzle. Now that I know exactly where it is and how far it is we will definitely walk it again. If you stay on the road right off the beach (South Shore) you will run into it. Once on the road the walk was very easy.

The walk is very easy but you have to watch the traffic since there are no sidewalks or shoulders on the roads. Traffic moves at a fast pace on Bermuda and the roads are very narrow.

The walk is very easy but you have to watch the traffic since there are no sidewalks or shoulders on the roads. Traffic moves at a fast pace on Bermuda and the roads are very narrow.

As I recall on this stretch of road there aren't any sidewalks but there was a large enough grassy section to the side of the road that we walked there and didn't have to walk on the road. Not like in other areas where the traffic and road walking was dangerous.

We walked from Horseshoe bay to Warwick long bay and back using the paths/trails. We stopped at each of the coves/beaches that we could along the way. I would say that its probably a 20 min walk not counting stopping to get from Horseshoe bay to Warwick. Some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, just amazingly beautiful. I think there was a youtube video of the walk at one point. I would highly recommend this - one of the best things we ever did.

Missingyou, I am looking to do this when we go in Aug. Did you walk along the beach or go on the trail that is above the beaches. Was the path easy to find? Were you wearing sandals/water shoes/tennis shoes?

I am planning to take the shuttle bus from the Dockyard to HSB and then walk to Warwick and back stopping to get wet/swim as needed (it will be august so I'm assuming I will need a dip in the ocean pretty often!) Is this what you did?

thanks for any info!

Yes - this is exactly what we did - The paths are easy to find. In fact if you do a satellite view of Bermuda and look at Horseshoe bay you can see them when you zoom in. I think somewhere on this forum there may be a picture. We wore sandals on the way to Warwick and switched back to sneakers/tennis shoes as it made for easier goings the sand is loose. If you had Keene or Timberland hiking type sandals those would probably work really well. We took some little paths that veered to the right off the main path a couple went nowhere and a couple gave us great views. There were a good number of folks walking the paths. We saw probably 15 other people walking when we were. We also saw a horseback tour come through by one of the coves. My advice is if you plan to do this do it first thing early in the morning and take water bottles with you. We got to horseshoe bay around 10 and did the walk took a break and rested in some of the coves to cool off. Great experience.

Here is a link to the youtube video of the walk i found prior to our cruise:

Its titled Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay - Real Time 4.11.14 - this the exact walk we did after watching this before our cruise.

And I forgot to mention - we did just use the public bus. We purchased our 2 day bus/ferry pas as soon as we got off the boat then walked though the lot at the dock where all the shuttles and tour/excursion buses were (note some of these were pink buses, but these had excursion guides with them). We made a right just before the bonefish bar and grill and walked maybe 30-50 yards or so to the bus stop and got a "Special" bus as soon as we got there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I read this thread prior to our trip last week. We got dropped off at Horseshoe Bay in the early morning then made our way towards the far end as soon as it got crowded. We then got on a path and wanted to walk to Warwick and ultimately hit the Swizzle Inn.

Well, we must have gotten on the wrong path. We ended up coming out at the park where there was this odd tent set up near a parking lot. This led us to the road where we walked...and walked...and walked....

And I totally got made fun of for thinking we could actually walk from Horseshoe to Swizzle. The husbands finally convinced us (after many nerve-wracking moments of crossing the narrow road, having no shoulder, and fast scooters zooming by) to stop at the next bus stop. So, we got on the #7, headed toward Hamilton and literally around the corner was Swizzle Inn.

The waiter at Swizzle looked at us like we were crazy that we walked there from Horseshoe Bay. That and it was crazy windy so we were covered in sand. It was a fun adventure, but I definitely wouldn't try it with my kids. I feel like we took a wrong turn--the path we took didn't take us to Warwick--I couldn't even tell you where we ended up. I wish it had been marked better. Oh well! Still saw some beautiful views and the rum swizzles were great!

Amy

Hi there,

I read this thread prior to our trip last week. We got dropped off at Horseshoe Bay in the early morning then made our way towards the far end as soon as it got crowded. We then got on a path and wanted to walk to Warwick and ultimately hit the Swizzle Inn.

Well, we must have gotten on the wrong path. We ended up coming out at the park where there was this odd tent set up near a parking lot. This led us to the road where we walked...and walked...and walked....

And I totally got made fun of for thinking we could actually walk from Horseshoe to Swizzle. The husbands finally convinced us (after many nerve-wracking moments of crossing the narrow road, having no shoulder, and fast scooters zooming by) to stop at the next bus stop. So, we got on the #7, headed toward Hamilton and literally around the corner was Swizzle Inn.

The waiter at Swizzle looked at us like we were crazy that we walked there from Horseshoe Bay. That and it was crazy windy so we were covered in sand. It was a fun adventure, but I definitely wouldn't try it with my kids. I feel like we took a wrong turn--the path we took didn't take us to Warwick--I couldn't even tell you where we ended up. I wish it had been marked better. Oh well! Still saw some beautiful views and the rum swizzles were great!

Amy

Oh Wow !

A pitcher of Swizzle must of hit the spot after all that. :D

I sure could go for one now.:)

• 1 month later...
Hi there,

Amy

So I'm assuming the thing to do if you make it to Warwick would be to just go ahead and catch the #7 to The Swizzle Inn? That would be going towards Hamilton, correct?

Cindy