Going to Amsterdam.........

Lois R

I am not Ine but Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is very easy to navigate. Taxi's will be lined up outside Schiphol Plaza (the shopping centre) which you will enter from Arrivals/bagage reclaim. You will be directed to the first taxi which is about mid in the first traffice lane.

From carrousel to taxi is a 3 minute walk, free carts available.

Just last month we were at the lovely Estherea Hotel. It is about a five minute walk to the Anne Frank house ( but we did not go in) and about a 20 minute walk to The Rijksmueum and the Van Gogh Museum ( we bought advance tickets on line). The hotel is very well located in the Nine Streets area on a canal a short walk from the noisier part of the tourist area. Many restaurants nearby. We never took the tram. We also took a a Blue Boat Company canal tour one day. From the airport it is about a 30 minute taxi ride. Do be careful when you exit the airport -- there were many gypsy drivers trying to convince us they were official taxis. Lovely city -- we enjoyed our three day stay very much. Next time we go back I would like to take a day trip to The Hague and Delft.

Oh, one more thing -- Viator is not a tour company. They are a company who acts as a clearinghouse for many individual tour operators so you would need to note the name of each operator and contact them if individually.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Amsterdam for three days before our cruise in July.Which hotel would you experienced travelers recommend?

Has anyone made a day trip to Brugge?Should we take the tour bus or go it alone?

Like in any city there are lots of hotels. Much depend how much you want to spend for a room, also price can be different depending occupancy re festivals, location, etc. If you use the "SEARCH'" function a lot of names of hotels will come up.

If it is your 1st time to Bruges I think you might prefer a tour. There are no direct trains to Bruges, you will need to change trains in either Antwerp or Burssels, both ways. It is a rather long trip for just a day. Maybe you better have a nice daytrip to e.g. Delft which is much easier to do.

We are considering the Banks Mansion Hotel in Amsterdam for our 3 day stay in July. Should we book it?

I am staying there in April....it gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor:)

and Ine said she has friends who have stayed there too.:D

I looked at the Banks for our trip next September. It was already completely booked as of about two weeks ago :eek: At first I thought it was due to an annual conference they have every year but we are actually there a bit before that…… so I would suggest you book it soon to get a room.

We ended up booking the Ambassade. I think we will be very happy with this one too.

The Banks Mansion was one of the ones on my list. These hotels sure book up early! We're trying for The Toren. I've been in touch with them via email and they said they haven't put Aug 2016 up for reservations yet. I don't know what they are waiting for! The Ambassade and Hotel Estheria are the other 2 on my list

• 3 months later...

I can't believe I started this thread back in August and now it is 30

days away (when I fly to Amsterdam):D

I am actually still looking for a tour to take on the day I arrive. There

are so many different walking tours AND I found a wonderful looking

Food tour:D....called "Hungry Birds".....it gets great reviews on

Trip Advisor:)

Not sure what I am going to do.

We will be in Amsterdam, post cruise, for three days. We will be staying at Hotel Estheria. We are considering a day trip somewhere. Can anyone recommend an easy 1/2 day or day trip close by?

The city of Haarlem is just a 20 minute trainride.

Zaanse schans to see windmills that still work, either 30 minutes by bus from Centraal station or 20 minutes to station Koog Zaandijk.

Or the charming town of Delft, about 40 minutes by train.

Just to mention a few posibilities.

The city of Haarlem is just a 20 minute trainride.

Zaanse schans to see windmills that still work, either 30 minutes by bus from Centraal station or 20 minutes to station Koog Zaandijk.

Or the charming town of Delft, about 40 minutes by train.

Just to mention a few posibilities.

Thank you for this. Appreciate the help.

We will be in Amsterdam, post cruise, for three days. We will be staying at Hotel Estheria. We are considering a day trip somewhere. Can anyone recommend an easy 1/2 day or day trip close by?

When will you be arriving in Amsterdam? If it is before the middle of May, you could see the tulips and other flowers at Keukenhof Gardens.

We, too, are staying at the Estherea (the first few days of May), and plan to do the Gardens using public transport---bus #197 to the airport, and then the special bus to Keukenhof. If you Google Keukenhof Gardens by public transport, there is a very helpful website.

I've been following this thread since the beginning because we will be in Amsterdam in Aug for 2 days also. We'll be heading off on the Viking Rhine Getaway.

We've booked The Toren for our stay - double canal view room. I'm so excited about this. It's expensive, but this is our treat ourselves really well trip!

I'm thinking of making arrangements with Shuttle Amsterdam http://www.shuttleamsterdam.com/ to take us to The Toren. I've been in touch with the people at the hotel, and they said they can make arrangements for us as well with a company called Wheels Unlimited, So I'm going to check out the prices and see which works better.

I also contacted The Toren about storing out luggage so we can do some sightseeing before it's time to check in. Hoping not to waste too much of the day. They said, no problem, so that's taken care of.

I've been checking out the I Amsterdam card as many of the things we want to see and do are covered. http://www.iamsterdam.com/

Also thinking of doing the Hop On Hop Off canal boat. Sounds like a great way to get around, and also to see the sights.

https://www.canal.nl/en/canal-bus ht...off-day-ticket

The last time we were in Amsterdam - ages ago - we didn't get to do the Heineken Experience, so we want to do that this time around. You can order tickets online, so we'll probably do that!

http://www.heineken.com/Heineken-Exp...ckets-and-info

These are some other museums we're considering ...

Het Grachtenhuis (Museum of the Canals)

A great place to start exploring Amsterdam's hidden museums is Het Grachtenhuis (Museum of the Canals). This recent addition is a tribute to the Canal District, with multimedia exhibitions showing how the now grand district is really an engineering marvel built on swamp land. From here, visitors can easily explore other museums housed in canal mansions and the museum is even equipped to help them plan their itineraries.

Free admission with the I amsterdam City Card.

Museum Van Loon

Visit Museum Van Loon and step back through time into Amsterdam's sumptuous Golden Age. And as of 24 September 2011, Van Loon is the only residence of its kind complete with an original stately carriage house! Among the most powerful 17th century families, the Van Loons belonged to the city's governing families and were among the founders of the mighty VOC – the Dutch East India Company back in 1602. With much of its original interior intact , the museum collection comprises paintings, antique furnishings and objects. Get ready to ooh and ahh!

Resistance Museum

Official web site

Stop # 4 on the Hop On Hop Off

Another thing we're planning is taking in a concert at the Concertgebouw. The night we arrive there is a concert and we'll probably order tickets online, but I'm wondering if this isn't something I should do with the hotel concierge instead.

https://www.concertgebouw.nl/en/

And last - someone recommended Jewels Dinner Cruises. We checked out their website and it sounds fabulous. If we do the concert on the first night, we'll do this on the second

Here's there website if you want to check it out. Reservations can be made online

http://www.amsterdamjewelcruises.com/

If anyone has experience with any of these activities, I'd love to hear from you. I'm one of those planning addicts and there are things that can be gotten online, that I would love to do ahead of time.

Since we've been to Amsterdam before, I feel fairly confident in making our own arrangements.

I've been following this thread since the beginning because we will be in Amsterdam in Aug for 2 days also. We'll be heading off on the Viking Rhine Getaway.

We've booked The Toren for our stay - double canal view room. I'm so excited about this. It's expensive, but this is our treat ourselves really well trip!

I'm thinking of making arrangements with Shuttle Amsterdam http://www.shuttleamsterdam.com/ to take us to The Toren. I've been in touch with the people at the hotel, and they said they can make arrangements for us as well with a company called Wheels Unlimited, So I'm going to check out the prices and see which works better.

I also contacted The Toren about storing out luggage so we can do some sightseeing before it's time to check in. Hoping not to waste too much of the day. They said, no problem, so that's taken care of.

I've been checking out the I Amsterdam card as many of the things we want to see and do are covered. http://www.iamsterdam.com/

Also thinking of doing the Hop On Hop Off canal boat. Sounds like a great way to get around, and also to see the sights.

https://www.canal.nl/en/canal-bus ht...off-day-ticket

The last time we were in Amsterdam - ages ago - we didn't get to do the Heineken Experience, so we want to do that this time around. You can order tickets online, so we'll probably do that!

http://www.heineken.com/Heineken-Exp...ckets-and-info

These are some other museums we're considering ...

Het Grachtenhuis (Museum of the Canals)

A great place to start exploring Amsterdam's hidden museums is Het Grachtenhuis (Museum of the Canals). This recent addition is a tribute to the Canal District, with multimedia exhibitions showing how the now grand district is really an engineering marvel built on swamp land. From here, visitors can easily explore other museums housed in canal mansions and the museum is even equipped to help them plan their itineraries.

Museum Van Loon

Visit Museum Van Loon and step back through time into Amsterdam's sumptuous Golden Age. And as of 24 September 2011, Van Loon is the only residence of its kind complete with an original stately carriage house! Among the most powerful 17th century families, the Van Loons belonged to the city's governing families and were among the founders of the mighty VOC – the Dutch East India Company back in 1602. With much of its original interior intact , the museum collection comprises paintings, antique furnishings and objects. Get ready to ooh and ahh!

Resistance Museum

Official web site

Stop # 4 on the Hop On Hop Off

Another thing we're planning is taking in a concert at the Concertgebouw. The night we arrive there is a concert and we'll probably order tickets online, but I'm wondering if this isn't something I should do with the hotel concierge instead.

https://www.concertgebouw.nl/en/

And last - someone recommended Jewels Dinner Cruises. We checked out their website and it sounds fabulous. If we do the concert on the first night, we'll do this on the second

Here's there website if you want to check it out. Reservations can be made online

http://www.amsterdamjewelcruises.com/

If anyone has experience with any of these activities, I'd love to hear from you. I'm one of those planning addicts and there are things that can be gotten online, that I would love to do ahead of time.

Since we've been to Amsterdam before, I feel fairly confident in making our own arrangements.

THANK YOU for all of these tips.

We are staying at Hotel Estherea for three nights...looked at the Toren and the Banks Museum, but something about this hotel spoke to me and the fact that the rate was refundable. At the time I booked it, we had not secured airfare so things were still at a toss up. Yikes...hoping I made a solid decision.

Edited by mickeysgal

Hi Kathy, looks like you have lots of things planned.

I am arriving only 1 day early before my cruise and so I am not planning

nearly as much stuff. It is my first time in Amsterdam and my flight

arrives early. I emailed my hotel too and they said they would hold my

luggage if my room is not ready too. (I am staying at the Banks Mansion).

I am not getting that IAMSTERDAM card....I would like to just do a walking

tour, possibly see a museum or 2 and find a couple of restaurants (lunch

and dinner);)

I will check out the 2 transportation companies you mentioned....see

what they charge from the airport to the hotel.

THANK YOU for all of these tips.

We are staying at Hotel Estherea for three nights...looked at the Toren and the Banks Museum, but something about this hotel spoke to me and the fact that the rate was refundable. At the time I booked it, we had not secured airfare so things were still at a toss up. Yikes...hoping I made a solid decision.

I booked The Toren through their web site instead of one of the hotel booking sites like Travelosity, or Hotels.com. It was a little more, but I can cancel the reservation any time up to 24 hours before and I didn't have to pay upfront.

I considered the Hotel Estherea as well - I'd say you made a good choice!

Hi Kathy, looks like you have lots of things planned.

I am arriving only 1 day early before my cruise and so I am not planning

nearly as much stuff. It is my first time in Amsterdam and my flight

arrives early. I emailed my hotel too and they said they would hold my

luggage if my room is not ready too. (I am staying at the Banks Mansion).

I am not getting that IAMSTERDAM card....I would like to just do a walking

tour, possibly see a museum or 2 and find a couple of restaurants (lunch

and dinner);)

I will check out the 2 transportation companies you mentioned....see

what they charge from the airport to the hotel.

Well, some are just possibilities and others are things we definitely want to do, like the Heineken Experience, the Concertgebouw and the dinner cruise thing (hey, we have to eat anyway :) ) The other museums are flexible depending on how much time we have. We kind of want to just take it slow and get used to the time change. I have to see if the I Amsterdam card is worth it.

I just want to have as much info at hand as I can. Amsterdam is amazing! Of all the places we've been, it's high on my list of favorites. The canals. the architecture, the people were all wonderful. It's like another world. We can't wait to be back.

Hope you enjoy your first time as much as we enjoyed ours. A walking tour sounds good - it's a very easy city to walk around. Just watch out for the cyclists! They can be crazy!

I'm still trying to work out places to eat. The Toren does breakfast in their lounge, but they don't have a restaurant. I've heard that the Dutch make great pancakes - missed that the last time!

Museum Van Loon

Thanks for sharing your research. We have enjoyed all our visits to Amsterdam. On our last visit, we did the Museum Van Loon. It was o.k., doesn't take much time, but we did not ooh or ahh & don't plan to take our family there on our next visit.

I'd be very interested in this. Anyone have a restaurant recommendation?

I have heard they make delicious pancakes too:D....you might try

Trip Advisor for restaurant recommendations.