Hurricane Joaquin-perhaps the most destructive on record

neptuno

The Weather Channel website is reporting Hurricane Joaquin to be possibly the most destructive on record to the Bahamas. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those residents affected. While Nassau may not be hit as hard, the private cruise islands are getting hammered by a storm that is moving very slowly away.

We were in Freeport yesterday. It was so weird. We had calm seas, an extremely light breeze and only somewhat overcast. We couldn't believe it. Many of the shopkeepers were listening to the radio and were very concerned about the other islanders.

We were in Freeport yesterday. It was so weird. We had calm seas, an extremely light breeze and only somewhat overcast. We couldn't believe it. Many of the shopkeepers were listening to the radio and were very concerned about the other islanders.

Good news to hear. Thanks for the report.

Safe sailing to all.

I am genuinely saddened and troubled by the destruction that hit the Bahamas and the people living there. I really am. So I hope I don't sound terrible when I ask, what does this mean for cruise passengers coming to the islands in the next few months? I'm scheduled to be at Nassau, Freeport, and GSC November 10-12th and am wondering what things will be like.

Nassau and Freeport were barely touched there will be up and running in no time you shouldn't have a problem some of the smaller Cruz Island had some damage with the cruise lines have big dollars so those will be fixed quickly I don't expect for them to skip a beat. It's the Out Islands where people are poor beyond the imagination they have lost everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Nassau and Freeport were barely touched there will be up and running in no time you shouldn't have a problem some of the smaller Cruz Island had some damage with the cruise lines have big dollars so those will be fixed quickly I don't expect for them to skip a beat. It's the Out Islands where people are poor beyond the imagination they have lost everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ugh, how unfortunate =/

But thank you for the quick reply, and I'm glad to hear not every island was hit too hard!

Scubagirl,

Do you know of anything we as visitors can bring with us to help? We will be sailing to Nassau and Freeport. Are there any organizations there that we could take items to so they can distribute to the Out Islands?

So far, I haven't heard of any initiate that would allow you to bypass customs to bring in products. $$$ is the greatest gift at this point.