San Juan Pier - RCCL

The Pan American Pier is well run and usually quick and efficient. Because of the late departure there seems to be less of a rush to get on. We usually get there at 10:30-11 and get on board by 11:30-1200. Of course there are exceptions.

We just got back from a fabulous cruise on the Jewel.

We arrived in San Juan at 12:40. Spent some time waiting for our luggage and then got a taxi to the Pan American pier. If you want to take your wine allotment on, ask your driver to stop at the market to buy some. I think with the stop and tip we paid $25 for the taxi.

We got to the pier around 2:00 and pretty much walked right in. We gave most of our bags to the porter who promised that it would only be a couple of hours until the bags were in the room and that turned out to be true. The staterooms were ready immediately.

Do not go early. Our debarkation was pretty slow. Almost an hour for us from the time we were called. And the reason it was so short was we eventually decided to have a porter who was able to by-pass the longest line I have ever seen. I would bet that it was at least 1:00 before all of that area was cleared.

We had a blast on the Jewel and I wish the same for you.

Seconding finz's experience... Whilst embarkation tended to be efficient and smooth, there didn't seem to be as much enthusiasm for flipping the ship quickly in San Juan compared with other US ports, probably precisely because of the later departures. One boarding started at... noon or 12:30? Can't remember exactly, but the passengers that were there before us looked hot and tired, and the port staff didn't seem to find that terribly unusual. It's not a port that I'd pay ANY attention to the people chirping about getting maximum time aboard. A leisurely lunch then head to the pier seems a much better plan there.

Thanks for the info. We will be boarding in 61 days. (yeah)

We are coming in the day before so we plan to get up and go to the fort in the morning then maybe get to the pier around noon. We are lucky enough to have a suite so that should expedite boarding.

It sounds like disembarking is just as bad now as it was when I sailed the Adventure 12 years ago. To bad there isn't a priority customs line for suites. :) I know you can get early dismebarkation but our flight is not until 3:40PM. so I guess my choices are wait at the airport or wait in the customs line.

I've done a few cruises out of San Juan and have always made no big rush to get out of the hotel. No matter where we cruise from I always try to board when I can get into my room so usually I'm there about 12:30 and have been on very quickly and yes, suite makes it even quicker.

Being you are in a suite the concierge will get you off early with no real waiting at all but you don't really need that as your flight is late.

One thing I've learned-when your cruise is over it IS over and getting you off is priority. Early flights out are how I plan now.

Have fun. you'll love the Jewel!!

we just got back from Jewel and getting on the ship is easy-peasy. Getting off the ship is not! I found it was very unorganized. We scheduled an excursion and had to be in the theater at 7:45, there were already about 200 people in there and ONE RCCL employee. no one could hear him. We then had to go to a warehouse type building and find our luggage and then get in line for customs.

quick tip- put something like a ribbon or something bright colored on your luggage so you can spot it! we didn't and had a heck of a time finding ours.

I've done a few cruises out of San Juan and have always made no big rush to get out of the hotel. No matter where we cruise from I always try to board when I can get into my room so usually I'm there about 12:30 and have been on very quickly and yes, suite makes it even quicker.

Being you are in a suite the concierge will get you off early with no real waiting at all but you don't really need that as your flight is late.

One thing I've learned-when your cruise is over it IS over and getting you off is priority. Early flights out are how I plan now.

Have fun. you'll love the Jewel!!

We had Diego walk us off on a previous 4 day out of Tampa and it was perfect. Unfortunately, my departure options were limited and this is the only NS flight of the day. I could take a taxi to OSJ then go to the airport later but have to find a place for the luggage.

We had Diego walk us off on a previous 4 day out of Tampa and it was perfect. Unfortunately, my departure options were limited and this is the only NS flight of the day. I could take a taxi to OSJ then go to the airport later but have to find a place for the luggage.

Diego is great!!!

I also hate it when I see those real early departures, that you know are too early or those late ones. The-if I run, will we make it or the Oh god-hours in the terminal, will my marriage survive, departure times!!.:D

Thanks everyone. Will for sure use the ribbon tip. How early can you drop off luggage to the porters? Is it possible to get a taxi from our hotel, take it to drop off luggage and then head to the fort in same taxi? After the fort are there plenty of taxis to take you back? I'm assuming since the ship doesn't leave until 8:30, this could be feasible?

For the experience at the pier was not the best for us. My wife needed wheelchair assistance and staff seemed to pre-occupied to help us. They wanted me to drag my luggage through the line into check in that didn't make any sense. I had to demand a porter since I had to push her wheelchair since the port staff was too busy to help. But everyone has different experiences.

Taxis are in abundanc in San Juan, the joke we had was it is 17 dollars to wherever you are going. Yes, you can more than likely drop your luggage and then go to the fort. Our friends did a tour of the barcardi factory before bording the ship.

Thanks everyone. Will for sure use the ribbon tip. How early can you drop off luggage to the porters? Is it possible to get a taxi from our hotel, take it to drop off luggage and then head to the fort in same taxi? After the fort are there plenty of taxis to take you back? I'm assuming since the ship doesn't leave until 8:30, this could be feasible?

When we left from SJ we arrived at the pier around 11:30. We got through the check in quickly--but, we waited until 12:45 before they began letting people on the ship. We were seated in very tight rows of chairs. When they opened up the boarding there was a disorganized scrum. They did not follow the suites first then Diamond plus, etc.

Security did not care very much about whagt beverages you had. We had a few bottles of water and soda and no one looked at them. Our travel companions had visited the Bacardi factory for a tour and had 6 bottles of rum [for gifts]in 2 Bacardi bags. [with name on outside] They asked twice where to turn the liquor in. Each person told them to keep going. They walked right on the ship with it. YMMV

I personally use colored duct tape on the handles, I have not ever seen anyone else with it.

You would have to see if someone knows the earliest that they start accepting luggage. Once, going out of Miami, I took all the bags in the rental car and dropped them at the pier. I then went back and grabbed the rest of the party, dropped the car off and shuttled back. They weren't very prepared to accept the bags that early in the morning as most of the porters were helping the people disembarking.

We are coming in the day before so we plan to get up and go to the fort in the morning then maybe get to the pier around noon. We are lucky enough to have a suite so that should expedite boarding.

It sounds like disembarking is just as bad now as it was when I sailed the Adventure 12 years ago. To bad there isn't a priority customs line for suites. :) I know you can get early dismebarkation but our flight is not until 3:40PM. so I guess my choices are wait at the airport or wait in the customs line.

Just so that you know the panam pier is not the pier in town.You will have to take a cab over to the pier.

Exactly, why rush off the ship only to wait at the airport!:)

Yes the wine store is still their they also have other spirits. The cigarettes are cheaper than on the ship.

Wine was not as cheap as I would have expected the cheapest was $12/bottle and as Bob said very limited selection. Only had 4 bottles left of white wine when we arrived on November 1.

For 5 Cartons of Marlboro

Ship - $144

Duty Free inside Terminal in Jan Juan- $127

St. Martin - $90 (Store as soon as you get off the ship walking up the stairs on the right - store is on the left)