RC TV needs work

Just got back from 12N Baltic on the Navigator.

While I know that in-room TV shouldn't be top priority, the programing was so limited:

Two episodes of 'Big Bang Theory', 2 episodes of 'MOM', 2 episodes of 'Mike & Molly', 2 episodes of 'Persons of Interest' and 2 episodes of 'Chicago Fire'. It got pretty monotonous after 12 nights.

The channels for children and pre-teens had the same limited programming.

Other cruise lines we've been on had a movie channel or two, something to watch after getting back from excursions before dinner or before bed.

I thought that the on-line questionnaire would have an area to critique this but no.

This was our first RCI cruise, the ship was very nice. Our MDR stewards were outstanding and the food generally very good. We ate at Chop's twice, Giovanni's table and Sabor once each. Chop's is a pretty typical steak house, overall very good. Giovanni's table was OK, we had a fish dish that really needed a sauce to bring it together. We were less than impressed with Sabor, perhaps being from Texas spoils us for Mexican food. On the positive side, Sabor's chips were very good but needed salsa not pico-de-gallo, the guacamole was good, the entrees however were disappointing. I thought Johnny Rockets was pretty good despite the additional cost. MDR breakfast and Room Service breakfast menu were disappointing in their limited fare.

Our Junior Suite was great for the longer trip duration, incredible amount of storage and the additional seating area was much appreciated.

All of the ports were great and the weather for the most part was very good.

We are planning on trying another RCI cruise in a year or so.

While I know that in-room TV shouldn't be top priority, the programing was so limited:

Two episodes of 'Big Bang Theory', 2 episodes of 'MOM', 2 episodes of 'Mike & Molly', 2 episodes of 'Persons of Interest' and 2 episodes of 'Chicago Fire'. It got pretty monotonous after 12 nights.

Other cruise lines we've been on had a movie channel or two, something to watch after getting back from excursions before dinner or before bed.

I thought that the on-line questionnaire would have an area to critique this but no.

This was our first RCI cruise, the ship was very nice. Our MDR stewards were outstanding and the food generally very good. We ate at Chop's twice, Giovanni's table and Sabor once each. Chop's is a pretty typical steak house, overall very good. Giovanni's table was OK, we had a fish dish that really needed a sauce to bring it together. We were less than impressed with Sabor, perhaps being from Texas spoils us for Mexican food. On the positive side, Sabor's chips were very good but needed salsa not pico-de-gallo, the guacamole was good, the entrees however were disappointing. I thought Johnny Rockets was pretty good despite the additional cost. MDR breakfast and Room Service breakfast menu were disappointing in their limited fare.

Our Junior Suite was great for the longer trip duration, incredible amount of storage and the additional seating area was much appreciated.

I and many other's agree completely with you about the TV and it is a priority for many and the reason it gets talked about so much.

The questionnaire does have a place to post your comments just not a specific area related to the TV. I manage to discuss quite a bit...good & bad.

Thank you for your posting this link. I posted the other about the level of in room television needs overhaul and improvement and so many people want to see this happen too! I really hope that RCCL reads these comments and considers more programming in the rooms with variety and listening to the passengers what they want to see. I recommend that they consider a formal needs assessment of their broadcasting offerings to match audience needs on cruises especially longer cruise lengths. There needs to be more variety of sports programming, news and even national US network carriage. Plus more movie offerings into the rooms.

Don't forget with unlimited VOOM internet you can stream from your home TV service, netflix amazon etc, some companies let you download shows to a phone or iPad that is what we have done on our 2 TAs. We use vacations to catch up on TV.

Don't forget with unlimited VOOM internet you can stream from your home TV service, netflix amazon etc, some companies let you download shows to a phone or iPad that is what we have done on our 2 TAs. We use vacations to catch up on TV.

Yes....however....I don't care for the small screen...much prefer the larger in cabin TV screen.

Sounds like they "record" some of the shows that aren't time specific (like news). That would save on satellite TV costs.

Couple questions:

1. Sounds like they no longer simulcast whatever movie is in the theater or on-deck to the cabins. True?

2. Do they still have a real-time camera view - like from the bridge - of the outside? Looking at an interior next year and I have liked the idea people have posted to tune to that at night and let the gradual brightening in the morning be a gentle wake-up call. Then again that might be too early in June in Alaska. :eek:

I use a ipad to HDMI adapter like this always on big tv used ipad and my phone too with android to hdmi adater

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-601009-Adapter-Charging/dp/B008BMWPKW/ref=pd_sim_147_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=31e2kYJFv8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL200_SR160%2C200_&psc=1&refRID=K785BB84ME9YQ3A8H2XR

61i6PHhVQ%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by fredflint

I agree...I like to watch tv before I go to sleep...and it is VERY limited!

We had a running joke on one of our cruises - EVERY night when we came back to the cabin for bed the Sixth Sense would be playing.

At least mix it up a bit guys, people tend to watch TV at the same times every day. (before bed, getting ready for dinner, etc)

Often the HDMI and other inputs are disabled, so you need a remote that can select them. Also many ships have awful streaming capabilities. Yo may need to save them to your device prior to leaving

Edited by John&LaLa