Upgrade to Balcony for $99 per person?

lauren0309

I am sailing to Alaska in a few weeks. we have a cabin midship window view. I just got an email for an upgrade to a balcony for $99 per person. Can't decide if I want to take it or not? I do get seasick, so was thinking maybe the fresh air would do me good if I do get sick but also would it be to cold anyway. Just pondering back and forth and can't decide. Opinions, please?

I called the number on my email about the upsell offer and got a woman's voice to leave a voice mail and she will call back tomorrow in the order in which it was received. Sounded weird. I hope its not a scam. The email was from Princess though with my booking number and all my other information.

I just went on Princess website and checked to see what is left available for balcony rooms for that sailing and it seems midship balcony is sold out. I only see availability on front or back. I can't stay on front or back because if there seems to be more motion in those two locations. I'll see what she says when she calls me back tomorrow.

Edited by lauren0309

I called the number on my email about the upsell offer and got a woman's voice to leave a voice mail and she will call back tomorrow in the order in which it was received. Sounded weird. I hope its not a scam. The email was from Princess though with my booking number and all my other information.

I just went on Princess website and checked to see what is left available for balcony rooms for that sailing and it seems midship balcony is sold out. I only see availability on front or back. I can't stay on front or back because if there seems to be more motion in those two locations. I'll see what she says when she calls me back tomorrow.

If you're on an inside passage you should have no problem with rough seas especially in Alaska...

I wouldn't even hesitate to take this upgrade regardless JMHO.

Uh, you should be on an Inside passage cruise if you are coming out of Seattle. That said, I'm prone to seasickness and it didn't bother me at all on this trip. All of our rooms have been forward, upper decks too. (I get super motion sick on everything.) Have you been on a cruise before? I was very worried about it and only had one night in the Caribbean that was a problem and a Dramamne fixed that.

And no, it's not a scam. They give the sales people a list of rooms and they have to upsell them. They are also the only ones with access to those rooms. I chatted for a long while with the lady who called about an upsell room for the cruise last week.

Edited by Kristalght

Uh, you should be on an Inside passage cruise if you are coming out of Seattle. That said, I'm prone to seasickness and it didn't bother me at all on this trip. All of our rooms have been forward, upper decks too. (I get super motion sick on everything.) Have you been on a cruise before? I was very worried about it and only had one night in the Caribbean that was a problem and a Dramamne fixed that.

And no, it's not a scam. They give the sales people a list of rooms and they have to upsell them. They are also the only ones with access to those rooms. I chatted for a long while with the lady who called about an upsell room for the cruise last week.

Yes I've been on plenty of cruises. This will be my 13th. All of them were to the Caribbean. I take Bonine everyday. Sometimes I still get seasick but not too much.

I thought you are only on an inside passage if you are leaving from Vancouver? I read Seattle is in open waters for a day and that's why its rough for a day? Now I'm confused.

My sister just got this upgrade offer too and jumped on it. It bumped her from an outside Emerald deck to a Caribe "Premium" Balcony. Well worth it.

The Inside Passage is visited on both one way (Vancouver to Whittier) and RT out of Seattle itineraries. You will have rougher waters just out of Seattle until you get to the Inside Passage. (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, etc.) :cool:

Uh, you should be on an Inside passage cruise if you are coming out of Seattle.

What are you trying to say here? Seattle cruises do NOT follow the Inside Passage. They sail open ocean except for Puget Sound and into/between the Alaska ports/fjords they visit.

All ships from Seattle are considered "Inside Passage" routes. From Seattle to Ketchickan is on the outside of Vancouver Island.

For a short while outside of Seattle it was rough for a very short while (2-3 hours) but not nearly as rough as the Caribbean. I felt the motion every day in the Caribbean, didn't notice it at all in Alaska. If you are ok in the Caribbean, Alaska is MUCH smoother.

Would take it for that price in a minute.

Even if cold outside to sit for long.

You can go in out to see everything.

It gives you light to the room.

It gives you great views from inside.

Awesome! Congratulations on your balcony!

Any idea whether Celebrity ever does these upsells? I have an OV room booked now and would jump at the chance to get a balcony for $99. The price difference now is 2-3 times that of the OV though so not worth it to me.

Just got my callback for a balcony for $99.00 a person. First she wanted to give me forward location but I told her too much motion for me. Then she found another balcony midship and I took it.

While I not a huge fan of balconies for Alaska, for $99 pp I would certainly go for it....I think you have done very well.:)