Insignia refit continues.

SSD

First cruise with Oceania, twelve days Istanbul to Venice. Everything above expectations. The service from all the staff and food in the restaurants better than any previous trip. (Twenty plus with various companies). The only odd thing was that for a ship that had just had a refit four weeks previously, our last day the overnight in Venice was marred by the pool deck being closed so the deck could be replaced. Work started as soon as we docked and was still continuing as we disembarked. We were told it would still be continuing for a third day ! Not a good start for the next cruise.

1405262568816.jpg.2c05eb547ecdcf2afcea4ba2cd12e576.jpg

1405262599279.jpg.5ed4f33428f1182b90e3e30e98184240.jpg

They will always be doing something to keep the ships in the perfect condition we have come to expect from O. Sorry you feel you were inconvenienced

We were on Regatta for the 40 days just prior to her refit and there were very few areas where she showed that she even needed it. That's a great way to run a cruise line IMHO..and yes they did start to prepare for the refit on the last two days of our time on board.

I really have to disagree with this post. The refit of the pool deck was major work. The teak deck was being ripped up and replaced and no one was allowed in that area. It was not maintenance. We had workmen all over the place and some even decided to go into Horizons and monopolise the coffee machines and take whatever pastries and biscuits were out. Our cabin overlooked the dockside midships and we had cranes going over our balcony and water at times spraying on to it. We were not warned not to be on our balcony. In addition we were only told the night before that this work was going to take place when it must have been scheduled for weeks. If we had been told before we could have planned accordingly. It was very warm in Venice that afternoon and I expect that a lot of passengers were very disappointed not to be able to have a swim. Not what we expected at all. The cruise director said it was because they did not have enough time to do it before. Not good enough - bad planning.

As to the cruise itself - it did not exceed expectations and we had major issues with the food. I will try and post a fuller review. We are also seasoned cruisers on other lines and this trip is way down at the bottom. We found lots of other passengers who had similar issues. Perhaps the best illustration was to be told by a senior member of the crew (when I said that the cruise was ok but there were some issues) that there are always issues and perfection is boring!

Based on my experience on Marina's Maiden Voyage, it's much more likely that the pool deck refit eas scheduled during the dry dock, but something - perhaps having the wrong materials delivered or weather problems that forced a delay - caused this refit to be delayed. Oceania certainly does not plan to disrupt cruises, and it is not economically logical to take workmen along on a cruise - they are not crewmembers, so have to be housed in revenue producing cabins.

We had 60 shipyard workers on the maiden voyage finishing things that couln't be done before delivery; they sailed from Genoa to Barcelona and tjen on to Miami and had to be flown back to Italy. I guarantee you Oceania would not plan this.

As for the crew members remark, it sounds to me like he was trying to lighten the situation, but it was apparently too late for that guest.

I am sure that Oceania did not plan for this disruption and as the refit did not finish on time they had no choice. Things happen. But the way around it is to communicate properly and promptly. Also the workmen should have been supervised. They were not until a member of the crew telephoned for someone senior to sort it out. As to the comment by the senior member of the staff - it was not made to lighten the situation as I was not raising anything in particular and in fact was discussing a future cruise with this individual. It was only part way into the cruise and was a totally unexpected comment. Things happened after then that have put us off considering O again for a while or if we do it will be on one of their bigger ships.

I'm not there and I can't argue with your conclusions.

I CAN say that I find it highly unlikely that Oceania "planned" on doing work of this scope in the summer time in a warm weather climate! I'm sure they didn't want to deprive guests of the use of the pool for several days in such a situation.

So I am inclined to accept Don's theories as to what happened.

Whether you should have received a flippant remark (however it was intended) is something else again.

If you like the smaller ships in general I would not jump to the conclusion that any future Oceania cruise should only be on the larger ships. We've been mostly on Regatta and to a lesser extent on Nautica and Insignia, although our last three cruises just happened to be on Marina. (This was due to itinerary, not the ship choice.)

Many loyal passengers actually prefer the smaller ships. Because you had this snafu on this cruise really shouldn't govern your future choices. I'm glad to hear that even with your unhappiness (is that too strong a word?) that you are still willing to consider future cruises with the line.

We're among those who keep coming back ... so we're prejudiced! Given our long history with Oceania, we would give them the benefit of the doubt. I understand that someone who is on a first cruise might not be so likely to do so.

Mura

You must remember that any bad remarks about Oceania will be turned back on you by some. I would think they had no choice but to do the work as they did however there is no question it created a bad deal for the paying guests.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Oceania has communication issues

Of course it WAS planned ...yes they probably had no choice but to do it there but notifying the guests onboard & those going to board would have been a good idea

But then all the griping would begin well ahead of time

The pool deck was having all of the rubberised 'grouting' replaced between the boards. Completed before we left Venice although the pool was not refilled until the following day. Free drinks were offered to all onboard to apologise. Deck 10 had sun beds available if you wanted to sunbathe and to be quite honest, the pools are so small that 3 strokes and you are across. So to answer your question the renovation is complete apart from a few bits of painting around the place and she looks lovely. Have a great cruise I am really sad to be leaving. :(

Pleased to hear that you got free drinks.

Nothing offered to the previous customers on the last full day in Venice.

Strange how Oceania treat departing guests differently from arriving guests.

It was not minor mantinance.

1406057748856.jpg.c0a6628c457392d78e313e09e47d3099.jpg

1406057784770.jpg.820a0a71cb930bb323caf661b7afb54c.jpg

1406057811777.jpg.588c9a01f6f35dbcf792b6b868ffad10.jpg

Did those complaining ever thought about writing to Oceania directly about their problems instead of discussing on a board forum? It is fine to share information and tips but when the subject is dissatisfaction I think one should do it to the cruise line customer relations department.

As far as Oceania is concerned I have had only one situation to complain about up till now and I was very impressed by the way they reacted and handled the complaint.

Did those complaining ever thought about writing to Oceania directly about their problems instead of discussing on a board forum? It is fine to share information and tips but when the subject is dissatisfaction I think one should do it to the cruise line customer relations department.

As far as Oceania is concerned I have had only one situation to complain about up till now and I was very impressed by the way they reacted and handled the complaint.

As Crazy Si on Duck Dynasty is want to say "happy-happy". No negative comments allowed- only happy-happy.

No more comments about the cookies by Laraine- not happy-happy.