Whats up with those bathrooms??

Boozebabe

I am exploring the possibility of cruising on NCL. I was looking at pictures of the Epic and for the life of me I cant figure the bathroom arrangement. Is the sink really right in the room? And is the shower seperate from the toilet? It doesn't appear there is any privacy to take a shower. When I step out of the shower I dry myself off and it looks as though you would be right in the room if you step out of the shower. And God forbid the cabin steward comes in while one is in the shower. And you can't wash your hands IN the toilet area? I'm not really a prude but I don't want to shower in front of my friends or certain family members. This looks just plain crazy. Am I wrong???

I am exploring the possibility of cruising on NCL. I was looking at pictures of the Epic and for the life of me I cant figure the bathroom arrangement. Is the sink really right in the room? And is the shower seperate from the toilet? It doesn't appear there is any privacy to take a shower. When I step out of the shower I dry myself off and it looks as though you would be right in the room if you step out of the shower. And God forbid the cabin steward comes in while one is in the shower. And you can't wash your hands IN the toilet area? I'm not really a prude but I don't want to shower in front of my friends or certain family members. This looks just plain crazy. Am I wrong???

You are right. If these issues concern you do not book the Epic. NCL realized their mistake and Breakaway and Getaway are back to traditional bathroom configuration.

Yes, like a lot of European hotels. One French chain uses it a lot.

To stop anyone entering in the cabin door just double lock it. There is a curtain that can be pulled across to separate the toilet/shower cubicles from the main cabin area.

If you are not happy with that as the previous poster mentioned don't book Epic!

Yes, the bathrooms on the Epic are epically outrageous. Funny story, at least it is now: This past February, DH & I cruised on the Epic to the Caribbean and it was going along great until one day we decided to have a relaxing day on board instead of going ashore. So, DH had showered, and yes it was a bit later than usual when I went into the shower but not too late. Had my shower and, since it was just DH and I didn't bother pulling the curtain across for added privacy. BIG MISTAKE!!:eek: I came out of the shower drying myself, thankfully had the towel around me and here's the steward on our balcony washing it, LOL. Always pull those darn privacy curtains or be prepared for surprises or surprising. And yes, we always double lock our cabin door.

I wouldn't book that ship for that very reason. Think I'll just wait for the Getaway for my first adventure on NCL. I don't always cruise with my husband and this configuration just seems goofy for when I am with friends. The rest of the ship looks beautiful though.

Thanks for the responses though.

I thought there was a cabin category where the bathrooms weren't quite so 'open' and I wrong in this thinking? Somehow I was under the impression that it was only the balcony cabins that had the frosted glass showers.

In the Studio Cabins this is not an issue at all :D

Their original plane was an old-fashion outhouse.

This is better but only a bit.

LOL!:D

I loved the layout for Epic's balcony cabins. As on any other ship, double lock your cabin door as the steward can indeed unlock them. Also, one neat thing about the EPIC, there's a little dial you can set from your cabin showing that you do not want to be disturbed. The steward won't come in if you set the dial correctly. Again, the best way of keeping the steward out of any cabin, on any cruise line, on any ship, is to double lock the cabin door.

We personally found it great to have the sink separate from the shower, which was separate from the toilet. I could be shaving or brushing my teeth, while the GF would be taking a shower, for example. Pretty cool layout.

There is a turn dial for "privacy" outside the stateroom door. Use it as well as the lock to keep the steward from entering at inopportune times.

The privacy curtain helps make the arrangement workable for many passengers. But it does not suit everyone. Book a different ship if it bugs you greatly.

Yes if that is enough to ruin your cruise good that you looked at it before booking.

Just to mention it, I never understood how you can decide to share a small room with someone for a week but can not imagine stepping out of the shower nude in front of that person. I know enough people I would not feel comfortable to do that but I would not share a room with them either.

Apart from that, how do you shower at a public swimming pool? At least the last time I went there they had communal showers as well.

So I still think NCL did make the right decision but sadly they somehow got convinced to change it back on their new ships.

With the door double-locked and the curtain -- you actually have a bigger area to dress than in the traditional tiny bathrooms. It worked for us on our Epic cruise and the bathroom wouldn't even be on the radar as a reason not to sail that ship. The only thing I wasn't fussy on is that the lifeboats are located on the outside of the ship rather than tucked inside the ship, so if you want to look directly down from your balcony, you need to adjust your sight-line. Again -- not a big deal.

The "epic" bathrooms need to be re-worked just like the treatment the old "Love Boat" is getting in Turkey.

There was some sad news today out of Turkey where 2 workers died while pumping out the engine room on the old Pacific Princess.

I sailed the Epic and didn't have a problem with the layout. Everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to nudity. The people in Europe seem to be more relaxed concerning that. I know in some of the public bathrooms that I used in Europe, there would be females cleaning the bathroom right alongside the urinals while they are being used. The guys nor the cleaning ladies gave it a second thought.

Yes if that is enough to ruin your cruise good that you looked at it before booking.

Just to mention it, I never understood how you can decide to share a small room with someone for a week but can not imagine stepping out of the shower nude in front of that person. I know enough people I would not feel comfortable to do that but I would not share a room with them either.

Apart from that, how do you shower at a public swimming pool? At least the last time I went there they had communal showers as well.

So I still think NCL did make the right decision but sadly they somehow got convinced to change it back on their new ships.

It would take a LOT more than that to RUIN my cruise. That being said I'm sure I won't book that ship. Some people are perfectly comfortable being naked in front of anyone. I am NOT one of them. I'm sure I'm not in the minority. I was raised to have modestly. I don't regularly go to public pools. I have a pool of my own. So thats not an issue for me.

The thought of leaving the toilet room repulses me now that I think about it. How often do you think the cabin steward cleans the door handle from all the people who have stayed in it before. A toilet room definitely need a sink in it. God knows I am not a germaphobe, but really, washing your hands right next to your glassware etc .after using the bathroom?? That is definitely NOT a good decision. And obviously public opinion ruled if they changed the design on the new ships.

The thought of leaving the toilet room repulses me now that I think about it. How often do you think the cabin steward cleans the door handle from all the people who have stayed in it before. A toilet room definitely need a sink in it. God knows I am not a germaphobe, but really, washing your hands right next to your glassware etc .after using the bathroom?? That is definitely NOT a good decision.

Even if the sink and the commode are in the same cubicle you are "washing your hands right next to your glassware" after using the toilet. I don't see any difference in the two scenarios.

Everyone has its own comfort zone so no problem with that. Just one comment with a link that might interest you.

The thought of leaving the toilet room repulses me now that I think about it. How often do you think the cabin steward cleans the door handle from all the people who have stayed in it before.

From this thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1741330):

• Dis/Embarkation day: Clean and sanitize all drawers, closets and shelves

Bathrooms (Weekly)

• Sanitize entire bathroom; includes all surfaces; inside and out

So I would be confident that they sanitize the door handles every time before new guests arrive, especially with the Epic bathroom setting.

Even if the sink and the commode are in the same cubicle you are "washing your hands right next to your glassware" after using the toilet. I don't see any difference in the two scenarios.

I have never been in a cabin that had the glassware in the bathroom. It is always on the counter in the room area with the ice bucket. Now if you are talking about the bathroom glass, thats a different subject. I dont use them.

The thought of leaving the toilet room repulses me now that I think about it. How often do you think the cabin steward cleans the door handle from all the people who have stayed in it before. A toilet room definitely need a sink in it. God knows I am not a germaphobe, but really, washing your hands right next to your glassware etc .after using the bathroom?? That is definitely NOT a good decision. And obviously public opinion ruled if they changed the design on the new ships.

With the cruise lines' obsession with avoiding the transmission of norovirus, I would bet the stewards pay extra attention to ANY surfaces that could be touched by human hands. As evidence, look how many times a day you see housekeeping sanitizing the handrails in the stairwells.

Having the sink out in the room is probably more sanitary than having it in the same tiny room as the toilet. Studies have shown that the spray from a flush "travels" enough to get on countertops, tooth brushes, etc.

Having grossed everyone out....

We liked the Epic layout when my wife and kids sailed. It was great for multi-tasking. All of us could be doing something different without invading the privacy of others. It wasn't a problem at all for us. Lock the door and draw the curtain to avoid surprises.

There was enough complaining from those surprised by the layout that NCL changed back to a more traditional, less efficient design with the new ships. The good news is that you discovered this before you booked, not when you stepped into your room. If it bugs you, sail a different ship. There are plenty of others.

The thought of leaving the toilet room repulses me now that I think about it. How often do you think the cabin steward cleans the door handle from all the people who have stayed in it before. A toilet room definitely need a sink in it. .

So what do you do in public restrooms? There are not sinks in each bathroom stall.

:D Reminds me of a Dave Barry article from a few years back: http://articles.philly.com/1995-05-02/news/25675695_1_public-toilets-escherichia-coli-chuck-gerba

See especially: "TOILET FACT NO. 5 - When you flush, a process called "aerosolization" takes place, in which the toilet shoots out an invisible cloud of tiny, germ- infested water droplets that get all over everything. In Reader's Digest, author Roach quotes Gerba as saying that if you keep your toothbrush within six feet of a commode, "you're basically brushing your teeth with toilet water.""

So maybe the separately enclosed toilets could be a good thing?

:D Reminds me of a Dave Barry article from a few years back: http://articles.philly.com/1995-05-02/news/25675695_1_public-toilets-escherichia-coli-chuck-gerba

See especially: "TOILET FACT NO. 5 - When you flush, a process called "aerosolization" takes place, in which the toilet shoots out an invisible cloud of tiny, germ- infested water droplets that get all over everything. In Reader's Digest, author Roach quotes Gerba as saying that if you keep your toothbrush within six feet of a commode, "you're basically brushing your teeth with toilet water.""

So maybe the separately enclosed toilets could be a good thing?

Every cruise ship I've been on (17 to date) you had to close the toilet lid to flush it, so that takes care of "spray". Don't know if NCL ships are any different but I doubt it.

Archived