Cunard Opinions

Mischelka

I've always wanted to take a passenger liner across the Atlantic and now seems to be a good time. I've done a little research and really like Cunard. I think it would be a great trip, especially when combined with a few days in N.Y. and a few weeks in Scotland.

After lurking the Cunard board for the past few months it appears that the line attracts an older and somewhat specific clientele. (The number of post pages expended discussing how people do or do not dress in the dinning rooms are enough to get a good idea of what awaits LOL)

What are people's experiences with this line? I'm more concerned with the passengers, as I'm sure the crew will be a non issue. Did you ever feel uncomfortable?

My partner and I are two professional women in our 40's. Our last cruise was with Disney which was Fantastic. We however had our two kids with us, (10 & 12) so it was a totally different experience then this would be. Disney's a live and let live organization, and the passengers were the same. Everyone was just busy doing their own thing. Just curious about the "friendliness" of the atmosphere onboard a Cunard ship.

I've been on two transatlantics on the Queen Mary 2 and had a great time on both. There were Friends of Dorothy meetings with a lot of participation (men mostly/only). There are a lot of things to do on board--shows, games, lectures, but it is pretty formal in terms of dress at night. A nice mix of passengers--about equal Americans and Britons, with a smattering of a wide range of nationalities. Passengers do skew older--50s-60s-above, with few children and 20-somethings, but a lot of people in their 40s. (The limited number of children may have been due to the time I sailed--in the autumn.) A cosmopolitan group (in my opinion); no bigotry or snobbery that I ever saw; people just having a good time in different ways. A very friendly group on both my sailings.

I liked the Britishness of the ship and the variety of activities. The spa was great. My autumn crossings were pretty cool, so the pool deck was empty; it might be different on a summer crossing.

I plan to do another transatlantic in 2 years; this time with post-cruise time in Scotland (I've never been) so your itinerary (NY-Transatlantic-Scotland) sounds great. Hope you have a great cruise no matter what you decide.

I've always wanted to take a passenger liner across the Atlantic and now seems to be a good time. I've done a little research and really like Cunard. I think it would be a great trip, especially when combined with a few days in N.Y. and a few weeks in Scotland.

After lurking the Cunard board for the past few months it appears that the line attracts an older and somewhat specific clientele. (The number of post pages expended discussing how people do or do not dress in the dinning rooms are enough to get a good idea of what awaits LOL)

What are people's experiences with this line? I'm more concerned with the passengers, as I'm sure the crew will be a non issue. Did you ever feel uncomfortable?

My partner and I are two professional women in our 40's. Our last cruise was with Disney which was Fantastic. We however had our two kids with us, (10 & 12) so it was a totally different experience then this would be. Disney's a live and let live organization, and the passengers were the same. Everyone was just busy doing their own thing. Just curious about the "friendliness" of the atmosphere onboard a Cunard ship.

We've done Cunard several times(the only line we've cruised)It is pretty formal at night, but casual during the day. The dresscodes really aren't enforced for the kids(if they come along) & they do have quite a bit of child activities.The food is actually very good(unlike what a certain poster says)The Grills are the way to go for fabulous food.The price, however is pretty steep in the Grills, which is why we've only done 2 Grills cruises.The GLBT meetings are in the Commodore Club & usually attended by men & a "few" women. You should find lots to do & find the GLBT meetings really aren't that important. As to problem pax..we've never had any homophobic issues. You should be fine.

I would suggest you look at the members' cruise reviews. I have my personal bias with Cunard. The food is lousy unless you are in the Grill Class. When I did my crossing, it was formal every night except the first and last nights.

Lousy food?? Really?? Didn't like the formal nights? Uhh then why did you choose Cunard?? It's all explained in their brochures(or did you not do any research)There's always RCCL/Carnival for the rest of you!

Lousy food?? Really?? Didn't like the formal nights? Uhh then why did you choose Cunard?? It's all explained in their brochures(or did you not do any research)There's always RCCL/Carnival for the rest of you!

At the time, for $300 per person more, we could fly home on the Concorde. That is the only reason. My late wife had always wanted to fly on the Concorde, and she had recently recovered from serious brain surgery.

I did not mind the formal nights, but the food........

At the time, for $300 per person more, we could fly home on the Concorde. That is the only reason. My late wife had always wanted to fly on the Concorde, and she had recently recovered from serious brain surgery.

I did not mind the formal nights, but the food........

That long ago? You can't really comment on what it is like now. Food is wonderful. Brittania Restaurant is REALLY good. Service great. Have done many cruises on Cunard. Never had a problem.

The majority of the passengers will be older than you, having said that there is always enough people in their thirties & forties, so you will not feel isolated.

I've only come across a few mean people on board, everyone else has been fine. Most of them, like me, are just out to have a good time and enjoy their cruise.

Having travelled in Britannia, Princess Grill & Queens Grill, I can assure you that the food is excellent in all three restaurants with the Queens Grill being the best (due to the larger menu and ability to order off-menu with ease) and the Princess Grill a close second (shares the same kitchen as the Queens Grill and has a similar menu). I loved my dining experience in the Britannia Restaurant but, like everything in life, the more you pay the more you get.

The dress code makes the evenings, it's wonderful to see everyone dressed up and looking amazing.

Enjoy your Cunard cruise.

Edited by Whitemarsh

• 2 weeks later...

Partner and I have done 3 crossings with Cunard and have never had any problems. The clientele does skew older, but that's not an issue for us. Everyone - passengers and crew - were all very friendly. And you'll be so busy from all the activity options on board! If you enjoy spas, I think the spa on QM2 is one of the best at sea. Worth buying the full sailing pass just to spend a couple hours there everyday.

My only suggestion is to fly to Europe, do your visiting there, then take a Westbound crossing. The time change heading Westward works in your favor, and you'll arrive in NYC well-rested. Hope you have a great trip!

Edited by pke-atlanta

• 2 weeks later...

We've done several TA's on Cunard since the first one in the 60's on the first Queen Mary. Have sailed QE2 a fe times and the newest QM and QE as well. Loved all of them. Yes, it's an older more "worldly" passenger compliment. Stimulating conversation with fellow passengers, elegant evenings, no hairiest chest contest or bucket a' beers. We are planning Sept 2014 for our next westbound crossing. As they say, "It;s the only way to cross".

We've done several TA's on Cunard since the first one in the 60's on the first Queen Mary. Have sailed QE2 a fe times and the newest QM and QE as well. Loved all of them. Yes, it's an older more "worldly" passenger compliment. Stimulating conversation with fellow passengers, elegant evenings, no hairiest chest contest or bucket a' beers. We are planning Sept 2014 for our next westbound crossing. As they say, "It;s the only way to cross".

Totally right on!

Cunard is my favourite line. I'm in my mid forties and I've always felt comfortable onboard Cunard. The mix of passengers has a very cosmopolitan feel with a mixture of European and N American. Evenings are more formal and the dress code is usually abided by.

The activities during sea days tend to be geared towards intellectual cruiser with things like morning lectures and afternoon tea. As opposed to games in the pool or napkin folding.

Cunard is my favourite line. I'm in my mid forties and I've always felt comfortable onboard Cunard. The mix of passengers has a very cosmopolitan feel with a mixture of European and N American. Evenings are more formal and the dress code is usually abided by.

The activities during sea days tend to be geared towards intellectual cruiser with things like morning lectures and afternoon tea. As opposed to games in the pool or napkin folding.

Gosh, are you? I thought you were much older; I'm not sure why.

Perhaps it's your username.

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to respond to my post. I appreciate your opinions and first hand knowledge. My partner and I will definitely give Cunard a try, if not this summer, then next.

Thanks as well to Pke-Atlanta who suggested taking a westbound crossing at the end of our European vacation instead of the start. I never would have considered the time difference in our planing and it's something we will consider.

Thanks as well to Pke-Atlanta who suggested taking a westbound crossing at the end of our European vacation instead of the start. I never would have considered the time difference in our planing and it's something we will consider.

Years ago, we had befriended a group on the QE2 that included the partner of the Mauritania Restaurant Maitre d' and thus, many of the crew. They mentioned how they disliked Eastbound crossings because the passengers lost 1 night of sleep 5 of 6 nights (this was before the current 7 day schedule) and they all got grumpy by the end.

When most people think of doing a European vacation and crossing, I think those old b&w photos with streamers come to mind and most people think of departing for the trip on the ship - although a Westbound crossing is much more preferable for that exact reason.

My husband and I enjoyed 25 days aboard the QMII in 2010, crossing eastward, then through the western Mediterranean, then crossing westward. Met lots of gay folks, a few lesbians, and found the crew to be very gay-welcoming including a famous bartender. However we did experience a couple incidents of muted homophobia and some blatant racism, all coming from fellow passengers at dinner. HVRI!!! Not enough to scare us away since we are booked on 2 crossings on the QMII in 2014. Found the 2 crossings to be just a little more expensive than round trip business class air fare SFO to Paris. Love the QMII. But I will try to carefully pick my dinner companions in the future, if at all possible.

My husband and I enjoyed 25 days aboard the QMII in 2010, crossing eastward, then through the western Mediterranean, then crossing westward. Met lots of gay folks, a few lesbians, and found the crew to be very gay-welcoming including a famous bartender. However we did experience a couple incidents of muted homophobia and some blatant racism, all coming from fellow passengers at dinner. HVRI!!! Not enough to scare us away since we are booked on 2 crossings on the QMII in 2014. Found the 2 crossings to be just a little more expensive than round trip business class air fare SFO to Paris. Love the QMII. But I will try to carefully pick my dinner companions in the future, if at all possible.

We've never had any issues,but that's not saying there's no jerks on any cruiseline.

I just finished my fifteenth trip on Cunard, aboard Queen Mary 2, and I have traveled on Queen Victoria three times. I have never experienced any homophobia from either fellow passengers or from the crew. I find in general a very cosmopolitan set of passengers who are well mannered.

The Friends of Dorothy meetings are held every afternoon at 5 in the Commodore club, including embarkation day (which was a nice new surprise) There were a lot of guys and a gal or two on some days. I know from the role call there there were other women aboard, but they did not come to the FODs gatherings much.

I prefer the west bound crossings to the east bounds for the extra hour sleep you get on several nights. The food has been excellent every time, and the service as well. There is plenty to do with movies, talks, planetarium shows, afternoon teas, musical shows and concerts, and lots of formal evenings. with good looking ladies and gents.

I am sure you and your friend will have a great time.

Cheers Mike.

My husband and I did crossing in 2011. We are early 50's. Zero issues for us.

Coming from red-neck Texas it was refreshing to be among a large group of Europeans who are not obsessed with the 'gay' . We look forward to a future QM2 crossing.

Edited by dfwguy

Pied Piper has a few QM trips on their calendar, including at least 2 TA's next year. Book thru them to get a slight discount, and be part of the gay group they host.

I'd still check some sites such as "Vacations to go","Cruise Critic's" own website or even Cunard's own site. "Pied Piper" may not have the lowest prices.

I'd still check some sites such as "Vacations to go","Cruise Critic's" own website or even Cunard's own site. "Pied Piper" may not have the lowest prices.

Definitely always check multiple sources. But if you are concerned at all about the trip, being booked in with the group at least makes sure your dinner group is welcoming, and you will have group meet and drinks along the way too. I just happened to get a email from them the day before about new pricing on the TA's and singles discounts so I was looking into it myself :-)

Mischelka - I bet you would enjoy Cunard. My wife and I have gone several times (we are in our 50's) and loved every minute. On our first cruise, we went with the Pied Piper group, which was fun. Since then, we have gone on our own. Usually quite a few gay people, both men and women in the Commodore Lounge prior to dinner. We've always booked the Brittania, which was nice, however we recently booked the 'Grill' for an April transatlantic journey out of Florida.

If you enjoy dressing up, Cunard is great. There's a real sense of elegance on board. My wife and I love to wear our formal gowns to dinner. Our cruises have been primarily made up of British passengers, however many Americans will be on board. There is usually a good lecture series during the cruise. The table next to us at dinner had young children and they seemed to keep entertained by the youth activities director.

Cunard cruises are great! I hope that you end up going!

Mischelka - I bet you would enjoy Cunard. My wife and I have gone several times (we are in our 50's) and loved every minute. On our first cruise, we went with the Pied Piper group, which was fun. Since then, we have gone on our own. Usually quite a few gay people, both men and women in the Commodore Lounge prior to dinner. We've always booked the Brittania, which was nice, however we recently booked the 'Grill' for an April transatlantic journey out of Florida.

If you enjoy dressing up, Cunard is great. There's a real sense of elegance on board. My wife and I love to wear our formal gowns to dinner. Our cruises have been primarily made up of British passengers, however many Americans will be on board. There is usually a good lecture series during the cruise. The table next to us at dinner had young children and they seemed to keep entertained by the youth activities director.

Cunard cruises are great! I hope that you end up going!

Enjoy your Grills trip. Don't be afraid to venture "off menu" if there's something special you'd like to have. We usually gave a day notice if we felt it might take a bit of time rounding up the ingrediants. If you're in Queens Grill, they are more willing to really go off menu for you. Either way you'll find the food far superior to what's in Britannia. Your room service menu is nicer as well & you can order from the Grills menu for dinner in your suite if you'd like a bit more of an intimate meal.