Star's Dry Dock in Portland, Oregon

calex

For anyone interested, the Norwegian Star will be in dry dock in Portland, Oregon at Vigor Industries in March 2015. Assuming it takes two days to get to Portland from Los Angeles (989 nautical miles), the Star should be in Portland between March 3rd and March 15th. See Vigor's press release at: http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11889-vigor-drydock-in-business-for-cruise-in-northwest.html

For those of us in the Pacific Northwest, it would be a sight to see the Star heading up the Columbia River from Astoria to Portland on March 2nd or 3rd.

Wouldn't it be awesome, if the Norwegian fans in the Pacific Northwest could throw a nice big party for the Star's crew to show its appreciation for all the pampering we have received on-board the ship over the years.

That is way cool. Looks like Vigor Industries is very close to University of Portland on the Willamette. She arrives in LA after a Canal transit from FLL on March 1st and starts her Mexican Riviera cruises on the 17th. I may have to wonder up there to take some pictures.

That is way cool. Looks like Vigor Industries is very close to University of Portland on the Willamette. She arrives in LA after a Canal transit from FLL on March 1st and starts her Mexican Riviera cruises on the 17th. I may have to wonder up there to take some pictures.

Good eyes - it is just south of the University of Portland.

Vigor.JPG?attachauth=ANoY7coYHebwCE4Sdv-yrPFf76ddIxdGuSUgOkq7zxDA6HiNYYn4WFvFgyvVLfsM1RctEYXfCrjCLBDD5PKMWH09RQ0bOeQJfn3sv3LvnzbUgVsCyQYzQe4pJIE_N0ilOR3lw0mQ18a9pMrfrXvd_XdvKlNXf3AeW8z8ZLvrzMywvOCdXqRlSlspN0JhkCZ0onoe6hhT1lbqm2y-CYCwrsiwQJBRL38x8uzg_ZzG6PXE-WT7ggTsZ-JXt6yTxmFH8dfUot3kYDcI&attredirects=0

Begs the question. Will the little dent in the back be removed?

Who knows... the dent is not affecting operations, so I'm not sure if they would want to cut the hull to fix it... But I am not a shipbuilder so I do not know for sure if that is on the agenda this time or not.

Definitely will be interesting :)

Vigor is great, I work for a maritime company and one of our ships was up there in drydock almost 2 years ago. Those guys were phenomenal and worked like crazy to get the work done that needed to be done on our ship. No doubt the Star will be in great hands!

Begs the question. Will the little dent in the back be removed?

When I saw the thread title it made me wonder if her “Bermuda bump” would finally be gone. As another poster said, it’s not impacting her seaworthiness but it still is a constant reminder of what happened to her for those of us who know. I sailed on her one year ago and I was surprised her dent was still there. I definitely think a drydock would be needed to fix it but with all the activity in that section of the ship with changing the bearings on the azipods I’m wondering if they will fix it. :cool:

Wouldn't it be awesome, if the Norwegian fans in the Pacific Northwest could throw a nice big party for the Star's crew to show its appreciation for all the pampering we have received on-board the ship over the years.

When the Norwegian Jewel dry docked here in Boston I took some crew friends and their friends out on the town to show them around. It’s a nice thing to do to give back! When the Norwegian ships come up to Boston from NYC and there’s crew I know on them I’ll show them around too. They work so hard for us on the ships it’s the nicest thing we can do to show them where we live since they’re so nice to us in where they spend most of their lives (on the ship).

Dents are common in the industry. I've sailed on many ships that used to have sizable dents that have since been repaired in dry dock. Very routine and easy enough to fix. Shouldn't be able to tell where it was after.

Maybe they can just paint a band-aid over the area. It could be hull art on the aft.

Edited by dexddd

That's what Queen Victoria had over her stern dent for several years. She collided with a pier in Malta in 2008. Someone forgot to switch the controls over to the bridge wing, and chaos inevitable followed. Cunard put a temporary patch over the damage and painted it over with the regular livery. The next time the ship was in drydock in 2010, the patch was replaced with a permanent fix. The shipyard replaced the dented plates with new ones. Can't even tell where the dent is today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When I saw the thread title it made me wonder if her “Bermuda bump” would finally be gone. As another poster said, it’s not impacting her seaworthiness but it still is a constant reminder of what happened to her for those of us who know. I sailed on her one year ago and I was surprised her dent was still there. I definitely think a drydock would be needed to fix it but with all the activity in that section of the ship with changing the bearings on the azipods I’m wondering if they will fix it. :cool:

At the Q&A with the crew near the end of our Panama Canal cruise in late November, someone asked the captain if the dent was going to be repaired during the dry dock and he indicated that it did not appear to be in the plan.

Star_Bump.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crw8UVvHri65HZolATaa8pKlHTdbt29B0auLfaEnBa2ibt-4L_Ht_z781ZLA4VvMocEobWat-jvVrnsqbKyeDXnUxKAzT7wYmKf6fQ8lzJSQMyP2UzJmCGL5ijPbtUDrKrRzWUdpof4Np9eoJdLZJ-eiMzOjrJe11KYZGFAf0h5QXDyh2xuuD1b-Enb84k6-hM8iQKtVvf_owlJyGO5GqnNrA5vtVVYLKss1O6qDR6ThKQpdg1j9Uvqel0kkiC0y6ojNbFz&attredirects=0

The dent as seen in Huatulco, Mexico on November 25, 2014.

At the Q&A with the crew near the end of our Panama Canal cruise in late November, someone asked the captain if the dent was going to be repaired during the dry dock and he indicated that it did not appear to be in the plan.

Star_Bump.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crw8UVvHri65HZolATaa8pKlHTdbt29B0auLfaEnBa2ibt-4L_Ht_z781ZLA4VvMocEobWat-jvVrnsqbKyeDXnUxKAzT7wYmKf6fQ8lzJSQMyP2UzJmCGL5ijPbtUDrKrRzWUdpof4Np9eoJdLZJ-eiMzOjrJe11KYZGFAf0h5QXDyh2xuuD1b-Enb84k6-hM8iQKtVvf_owlJyGO5GqnNrA5vtVVYLKss1O6qDR6ThKQpdg1j9Uvqel0kkiC0y6ojNbFz&attredirects=0

Hi, calex, I can't see the picture. Can others on this thread see it?

it did not appear to be in the plan.

If it's not in the plan, it's not happening. Hopefully the captain was mistaken. It's a fairly easy fix, so I hope that it's a bizarre issue with yard limitations. I don't want to believe that NCL is too cheap to fix a dent :(

Star_Bump.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7colUQTSYrvKum4dxoXldpZXXXdmhMNkExoWrNSqjmElyP9bNbOWYpzD2_Pxdf6XKf0PtmbLNXyE-tQSFaxBMXpOr6aLPPduksa47cg_rFxyhhK6BjfaIr_Cr9ep5HvoOJUG2WZ6cwRm2vu_cTO27bMzwhaJdZgPvmV-JNSbPq1H16pP9gEXZu_aT0w3MdjP9MDiFLNOTYwaRcabQ_ie3Uqf8fDhI6tV8jXI-vxfUHEDo12B-myF-5W4knPd7bD3rZksS1Q9&attredirects=0

Can anyone see this image now?

Edited by calex
Image not showing

I'm sorry - no image

We really appreciated you posting about the Star's upcoming dry dock in Portland - easy drive up the freeway for us.

Thanks for your feedback... it shows on my page when I add the image link from my Google site, but apparently it does not appear if someone is not logged on a Google account. Need to figure this one out.

Very frustrating !!!

Star_Bump_zps2b67e220.jpg

Edited by calex

Star_Bump_zps2b67e220.jpg

You got it :)

Thanks kjquilts and Oregonian123 for letting me know the photos I added from my Google site were not showing up. The trick was to create an account at photobucket.com and use the direct link on the right side of the screen.

Go DUCKS !!!

I can't see the photo but I have a picture of the bump myself! Thanks for posting about the dry dock for the Star! Let's hope NCL gets the bump fixed. She's a good ship (minus her Spinnakers location) and watching the Panama Canal transit from places, including her bow, was truly amazing and something I will forever cherish in my cruise memories. :D