Reaching 100 days mid-cruise

machotspur

Hello !

Last week my wife and I made a booking for 2017 for the Antarctica/Falklands/S.Georgia itinerary on Silversea Explorer. We enjoyed the Iceland/Arctic trip we did on the same ship in 2012, so we’ve been looking to visit the ‘other pole’ ever since.

We pass the 100 days Venetian threshold during this newly booked cruise and were expecting the newly awarded Venetian benefits to kick in on the cruise after the this one. I was therefore very pleased when our TA informed us that the 5% discount would be applied to the fare on the newly booked cruise, proportionately for the number of days sailing in excess of the 100. (I was expecting to have to wait until the following cruise for the discount to apply).

Can someone please tell me how the awarding of the free laundry works, when one reaches the 100 days milestone sometime during a cruise ?

Is the benefit available

- on the first day of the cruise

- on the day one reaches 100 days ie midway through the cruise or ..

- on the cruise after the one when 100 days is achieved.

Thank you so much in anticipation of your kind insight.

We reached 100 days during our pre-Christmas Panama Canal cruise on the Spirit. When we arrived at our suite the butler handed us a card friom SS congratulating us on our 100 day milestone and stating that the free laundry was avaialble immediately.

Because I'm a total tightwad I calculated each load of washing's cost had we had to pay for it. Over the 17 days it would have totalled just shy of $800. That gives me a warm feeling inside.

To be honest, the extra 5% discount is probably the more interesting perk. We have a back-to-back picked out for late 2017 which, when we book onboard in June, will have 5% Venetian discount, 5% back-to-back discount, 5% on-board booking discount and 5% 100+ days discount.

Bizarrely, the way SS calculates the price is not just to take 20% off. That would be too easy. 5% is taken from the original price, then 5% from the balance after the first 5% reduction and so on. So the total reduction (and I really can't be bothered to do the maths) is something like 17-18 %.

A very good perk but be very selective of what you send. The hot driers can ruin elasticated items of underwear and also fragile ladies items.

The first thing everyone said to me after I reached my 100 days was 'the free laundry!' - I've never understood this obsession; I never have, and hope never to have to, let a commercial laundry loose on my clothes, I like to keep them unshrunk and in good condition.

The extra 5% discount on the fare however, is very welcome, particularly as I am a solo traveller paying so much more.

The most annoying feature of the laundry is that they place a very small but outrageously adhesive tag along an inside seam of the garment. At first I didn't realise that and wondered why my clean shirt, pants, whatever had a scratchiness I hadn't noticed before. While the tag is small (5mm x 15mm approx with the suite number written on it) it is quite stiff and care needs to be taken not to disturb the stitching of the seam when the tag is removed.

Nothing we sent was damaged in any way.

Thank you so much to everyone for your insight on this.

It is good news for us that we will be benefiting from the free laundry from day 1 of our Antarctica cruise - leaves more room in our cases for our cold weather outer wear.