Hubby rethinking our cruise

lbfluffy

Going on the Breeze this November and here we go again with another Carnival ship problem. Had to reassure hubby that the Breeze is almost brand NEW so he shouldn't be so negative!! And if anything goes wrong, Carnival will take care of us. They have so far. He's just being difficult, but I love him!!

Going on the Breeze this November and here we go again with another Carnival ship problem. Had to reassure hubby that the Breeze is almost brand NEW so he shouldn't be so negative!! And if anything goes wrong, Carnival will take care of us. They have so far. He's just being difficult, but I love him!!

I hope that reassured him, but the age of the ship isn't necessarily a guarantee that nothing will go wrong. I was on the Dream when it was only about 6 months old and we lost power for several hours.

I also just read that the fuel line that leaked on the Triumph causing that fire was replaced 5 months prior to the incident. The maintenace requirement was to inspect every 6 months and replace every 18 months, so they were well within the guidelines.

But you are right about Carnival taking care of the passengers, I have every confidence in them and it's why I haven't ever sailed with any other cruiseline.

At this point, I'm not sure a ship's age is the biggest factor. Only a few days before the Dream incident, Carnival's top executive admitted publicly that Carnival needs to ramp up it's maintenance. So, maintenance (or lack thereof) may actually be the biggest concern.

The truth is, anything can happen anywhere at any time, and not only on cruise ships. I won't let some of the recent happenings with cruise ships, stop me from cruising. I'd tell your husband to look at all of the cruise ships that are out there, and how they're constantly 'on the go'. Life's too short not to enjoy everything in life you are able to do.

All in all I would still consider the Dream to be a new ship - really it is only what 3-4 years old? Sailed on the ship in 2009. Splendor was a new ship too when that ship had it's problems.

Accidents will happen, with Carnival having the largest # of ships, it would stand to reason they would also have the largest number of incidents.

Doesn't keep me from booking a future cruise with Carnival. What decides what I book are discount deposits (Personally it is quite hard for me to come up with the $1000 to book 4 people) when other cruise lines offer a discount and I book out really far in advance. I base it on where the ship goes and cost. Doesn't really matter to me what line I sail on.

I am going to wait a long time before I sail with Carnival again if ever...too many bad things happening and there are so many other more attractive ships to sail!

The TITANIC WAS a new ship. :eek:;)

Seriously, I'm not concerned at all. Ship happens, and it can happen on ANY cruise line.

I also agree that Carnival will take care of you. Tell him to live a little, ... and promise him some of that 'love'.

The truth is, anything can happen anywhere at any time, and not only on cruise ships. I won't let some of the recent happenings with cruise ships, stop me from cruising. I'd tell your husband to look at all of the cruise ships that are out there, and how they're constantly 'on the go'. Life's too short not to enjoy everything in life you are able to do.

Another "truth" is that a good maintenance program can influence the "anything can happen anywhere at any time" truth. It's irrational to be oblivious of warning signs, and there have been plenty with Carnival's brand of ships.

I am wondering what my brother in law is thinking?

I am definitely not mentioning this to him!

He and my sister were on Destined to Break Down 6 or 8 years ago and he was so upset about the poor way the whole stranded in Puerto Rico thing was handled that he refused to sail Carnival ever since.

It was not so much that the ship broke down but total confusion, un-business like way it was handled and the failure to communicate with passengers made him furious.

I, my Dh, my sister and b-i-l are booked on Elation in April.

We are kind of making him go...

Crossing my fingers!

A word of advice if I may... don't let him near a television, car, or aircraft either. If he watches the news he'll find out about earthquakes in California, if he drives on the streets and highways he's going to see accidents - some of them fatal. Airplanes crash, sometimes with terrible results. Of course one landed on a highway near my home yesterday evening undamaged and with no injuries except to some tempers - it was during rush hour. Carnival has had a run of bad luck but we're sailing next month on Carnival and I'm not worried in the least about it.

Now, if any of the responsible agencies (U.S. Coast Guard, NTSB, other governments) who are investigating these problems were to find that there is negligence in their maintenance procedures and especially if it was a recurring problem then I might be concerned.

You guys should be fine. The vast majority of cruises go off without a hitch. Carnival does seem to be in the news more- but they have more ships than any other line (especially when you consider often "Carnival" means "Carnival Corporation" and not "Carnival Cruise Lines".) Being the major player means you'll hear more about them.

That said, after this second incident so soon, I don't know if I will book with Carnival in the near future. It does seem like their maintanence is lacking...

100% agree

And, I don't see any Carnival ships on your signature....so your comparison is based on what?

I think the RCCL ships are prettier - not as friendly, and very "uppity" clientele (and old - and believe me, so are we)

Princess - also pretty and well designed - food has been awful on our sailings.

Carnival - friendly, casual atmosphere, great food, well-designed and spacious cabins.

Dolphin - Terrifying experience 20 years ago!

For those that say that they will never again sail Carnival or will be canceling current bookings I would ask this question: how many of you current drive a Honda? See their recall today: 250,000 Honda cars recalled for "stability" problems. Could you imagine traveling 70 mph on the interstate and the vehicle become unstable. Things happen with everything.

Smart man. Find a different line.

Archived